road car driving gear

NSXguy

14 hours ago, NSXguy said:

Curious what others are using for spirited driving? I'm looking to purchase some gear (helmet and gloves) in the coming weeks as the weather gets better. 

Aero screen or windshield?

With aero I typically use a variety of safety glasses and keep a helmet in the back in case it decided to rain. You really don't want to be driving in the rain without the helmet. Motorcycle helmets work fine for the street if you have them already. 

Have a set of ear plugs at the ready or noise cancelling headphones like the AirPods Pro from Apple

43 minutes ago, Brightonuk said:

Check Out Zamp Helmets good pricing excellent quality  

I used a helmet before and will likely end up buying one. Great for the price. Flat black ended up having quite a few chips after just two days on the track though. Not sure on long term.

Prescription safety glasses in clear and tint.  Great price at Sam's.  Sometime a shorty motorcycle helmet (chrome for visibility).  Caps won't stay on much over 35.  Brooklands give more wind that a windshield, but direct instead of buffeting all around, so I prefer them.   For long highway cruising, a closed helmet makes it as smooth and quiet as a limo.  Gotta have my ear plugs.

2 minutes ago, panamericano said:

Caps won't stay on much over 35.  

That's variable FYI. Largely depends on your size and hat.

I'm 5ft7 with aeroscreen and have no problems* with my adjustable baseball cap even on the highway. 

*It flew off once but that was even before highway speed so I assume something else was a factor. 

Caps help a lot as a sunvisor and blocks the sun beating down on you. As well as a little "privacy"

Thanks guys. I'm really leaning towards getting a helmet (his & hers)! i had my baseball cap on last weekend and had it on so tight after almost losing it, i thought i would get a brain aneurysm lol 

59 minutes ago, NSXguy said:

Thanks guys. I'm really leaning towards getting a helmet (his & hers)! i had my baseball cap on last weekend and had it on so tight after almost losing it, i thought i would get a brain aneurysm lol 

It certainly has to be tight. Lets just say people can tell you had a hat on after a drive even if you take the hat off... Also the closer you sit the less you're effected. My s.o. is a lot more effected by the wind because passenger seat isn't adjustable and sits further back by default. I've debated having a fishing line type of tether for her hats. Long hair usually means either a hat or a hoodie of sorts to keep hair tame. 

Edited by Vovchandr

1 minute ago, Vovchandr said:

It certainly has to be tight. Also the closer you sit the less you're effected. My s.o. is a lot more effected by the wind because passenger seat isn't adjustable and sits further back by default. I've debated having a fishing line type of tether for her hats. Long hair usually means either a hat or a hoodie of sorts to keep hair tame. 

what kind of seats do you have? mine has "bench" type seats and ive been strongly considering a change to adjustable tillets. 

1 hour ago, NSXguy said:

what kind of seats do you have? mine has "bench" type seats and ive been strongly considering a change to adjustable tillets. 

I have tillets but only driver is adjustable. I tried to flip the rails on passenger as you can see in my thread and that didn't work. I could still new holes I suppose but not at the moment 

11 hours ago, NSXguy said:

The problem with the bench type of seats is that there is nothing between your head and the rollbar.  Consider carefully how a stupid driver at a stop light could easily make a head crash into a roll bar.  Race type roll bar padding is meant to protect with a helmut on and while it's better than nothing, this is really something to consider, as well as whiplash.  Switch out the bench or attach something to the roll bar to act as a head rest/support.  (And plan on the job taking A LOT MORE time and involving A LOT more cursing than you thought possible).    

Just purchased the Zamp RZ-62 after trying on a bunch of helmets this weekend at Summit Racing Equipment.  I was surprised how different many of them felt so I would highly recommend finding a place where you can compare how each brand fits your noggin.  I really liked the Simpson helmet looks but it was a nonstarter by the way it rubbed my forehead.

10 hours ago, seschm1234 said:

Just purchased the Zamp RZ-62 after trying on a bunch of helmets this weekend at Summit Racing Equipment.  I was surprised how different many of them felt so I would highly recommend finding a place where you can compare how each brand fits your noggin.  I really liked the Simpson helmet looks but it was a nonstarter by the way it rubbed my forehead.

10 hours ago, seschm1234 said:

Thanks for sharing! i was looking at a view yesterday and couldn't quite make out the relative values of each; i get air cooling vs non etc etc. I'll have to see if there's anyone close to CT that offers the ability to try them out. I think that will definitely make a difference. 

11 hours ago, Lotusfan said:

The problem with the bench type of seats is that there is nothing between your head and the rollbar.  Consider carefully how a stupid driver at a stop light could easily make a head crash into a roll bar.  Race type roll bar padding is meant to protect with a helmut on and while it's better than nothing, this is really something to consider, as well as whiplash.  Switch out the bench or attach something to the roll bar to act as a head rest/support.  (And plan on the job taking A LOT MORE time and involving A LOT more cursing than you thought possible).    

I hear ya. The bench type are definitely not preferred. I'm definitely looking out for some tillets and regrettably passed on a fairly local deal last year :( . Do you know if it's a straight forward swap or there's fabrication required? I'm comfortable doing either. Now that i think of it, there are four holes under each bench seat pad that have me wondering if the previous owner had different seats at some point. Will have to investigate. 

9 minutes ago, NSXguy said:

Thanks for sharing! i was looking at a view yesterday and couldn't quite make out the relative values of each; i get air cooling vs non etc etc. I'll have to see if there's anyone close to CT that offers the ability to try them out. I think that will definitely make a difference. 

You can always try Amazon Prime items if there is an issue with availability to try.

I used Zamp (M) and it was true to my size (M) with my other M motorcycle helmets. I tried RZ35. I ended up returning it because it had the SA2015 rating instead of 2020 even though it was a 2020 helmet without a discount for losing 5 years. I paid a restocking fee due to buying from a non prime store that had a restocking fee. 

5 minutes ago, NSXguy said:

I hear ya. The bench type are definitely not preferred. I'm definitely looking out for some tillets and regrettably passed on a fairly local deal last year :( . Do you know if it's a straight forward swap or there's fabrication required? I'm comfortable doing either. Now that i think of it, there are four holes under each bench seat pad that have me wondering if the previous owner had different seats at some point. Will have to investigate. 

Seat holes should be standard but don't quote me on that. If you have the 4 then you should be in good shape to have a bolt over swap. 

Its A LOT easier with 2 people. 

Once you get settled in we do expect a compare and contrast your experiences of a 7 compared to NSX if your name holds true...

Edited by Vovchandr

I've had several recommendations for  Stable energies in Garfield NJ

I plan to drive down this month to look for a better fit than I have right  now.   HMS in Devens may also have a selection in stock but may be further away from you than Garfield.

3 hours ago, NSXguy said:

etc etc. I'll have to see if there's anyone close to CT that offers the ability to try them out. I think that will definitely make a difference. 

• 1 month later...

Since whenever I took a blat, the front seat was full of small gravel, I always wore motocross goggles. The kind that are for "over your eyeglasses". 

For a hat,( to keep my bald head from burning), I used a do rag, or a welders cap ( without a bill),  or a baseball cap with some means to keep it on my head.

To replace the cap bill, which shaded my eyes from the sun, I placed about 3 rows of black electrical tape on the goggles at the top. It worked great. You may think it restricts vison, but it doesn't, your normal view is straight ahead, and the tape takes care of the sun and glare. 

Goggles