I'm Back!

Having sold my Lotus twin cam Caterham a few years back, I've just traded what I bought to replace it with a 1994 Vauxhall powered Caterham with a few wrinkles to straighten out.  First is a cracked oil pump body which I'd like to repair and enjoy the car for a while before considering a dry sump system.  My problem is I got very little information with the car so I don't know exactly what Vauxhall I have.  I'd like to purchase a manual to get started, but need to know which one.  Casting numbers on the left side of the block are:  75,  HH5, R80 400 015, and GM.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?  

Thanks for any and all clues, even if they include a degree of derision.

Craig

Welcome back Craig, 

I don't have your answer but I have part of one.  Attached is a guide that I have been accumulating over some years - I will add it to the USA7s technical library on this site.  I cleaned it up this morning so it is more readable.  It was a byproduct of my work on Holden engines that I was restoring.  Its not complete but will get you a head start on what to look for.

You will have to have another check of the block for a displacement stamp and other engine numbers.  The VIN will also give you a clue on what you are looking for.  

Hopefully this gets you a few bases forward.  

Cheers

mike

Vauxhall Engines in Caterhams v04 06 2021.docx

I forgot to add that there is a library list of books about Caterhams and Lotus Sevens here:

Reading List for Lotus Seven and Lotus Seven Inspired Vehicles - Looking for a Se7en? - USA7s

I do not see anything specific for a VX engined Caterham but some online searches of these titles might allow you to discern the contents before purchasing.  

The other option is to determine your engine model number and then just buy the right Haynes manual for that engine - that would be my approach if it were me.  

Mike:  Thanks so much for your help.  I've ordered a Calibra service manual and bought The Essential Buyers Guide (because I could get it on Kindle and I'm impatient.  Also, dropped the sump, removed the timing belt, sprockets, and tensioners.  Boy, that crank pulley bolt was stubborn.  I've ordered a new oil pump and front cover, gaskets, and oil filter.  More questions though... 

Where do I find the chassis ID or VIN? (I have special construction stickers from Delaware and California)  The car is badged HPC, has the Vauxhall 16v fi motor I presume to b C20XE, and a cardboard box of spares marked '94 Caterham.  Title says '93 Special Construction.  Would be nice to figure out exactly what I have.

About this foam insert in the sump.  Never seen one before.  Looks to be in good condition, but I'm wondering how one drains the oil and also how to accurately check oil level.  

Other than that, seems pretty straightforward to get it back together and driving.  I'm increasingly convinced dry sump is the way to go but need to figure out where the oil tank would go.  None of the kits I've looked at include the tank.  

Foam insert:  This is a controversial topic on L7C for Vauxhall and particularly Rover engines.  It degrades over time and little bits of foam break off.  People say bin it.  People still use it.   If you are dry sumping then the foam would go anyway.  The traditional dry sump kits for Vauxhall were done with either Titan or Pace bits.  Dry sump tank usually goes up front under the nose cone, behind the radiator or is squeezed in around the front of the footwells in the engine bay.   If Titan or Pace no longer have the tanks then look at Burton Power for some generic types or Mocal.  

I guess the Caterham chassis plate disappeared along the line.  Look for 4 rivet holes on the "shelf" in front of the firewall or on the firewall itself.  Thats probably where it was.  There should still be a chassis tag - try under the pedal box cover.  An Arch chassis stamp starting with the letters "AM" should also exist near the base of the roll bar passenger side.  

• 11 months later...

Well, here I am almost exactly a year later and I've done little to the car.  I did replace the front cover and oil pump and installed a sump which is a little lower than one would be comfortable with, but enabled me to drive the car a little and assure all is well mechanically.  What needs to happen is a dry sump conversion and this would be the logical time to convert to individual throttle bodies which I'm told would bring the Vauxhall  C20XE up to around 200 hp.  This is a younger man's car though, so I am gathering pieces and taking pictures to offer it for sale.  If anyone wants to jump the line, get in touch.  I'm thinking mid to low $20's for a quick sale.  

Craig

IMG_2006.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

If you have anymore questions about it before the sale, there's a few of us that have the C20XE motor in our cars. Mine is a 94 HPC model. I'm in touch with a couple other guys who also have the motor. I'm still learning but I've amassed a fair amount of information for the car.

Craig,

I think at mid to low 20's you're going to sell the car very quickly!  Take a look at values on Bring-A-Trailer which are probably top of the market, but seemingly an easy place sell.  My suggestion is to sort it out, drive it more and you'll get younger and decide to keep it.  You get used to and addicted to the driving experience.