Quick Show of Hands - Caterham 6-speed

BruceBe

How many folks are currently running the Caterham close-ratio 6-speed, or would be interested in a Caterham 6-speed if it were available? We're currently evaluating our investment level, in supporting this gearbox moving forward. This is the Type-9 derivative, not the newer Mazda-based gearbox (5-speed).

Cheers,

-Bruce

I have the Caterham 6 sp, but must say I found the 5 sp easier to use. My problem with all 6 speed sticks is that 3rd and 4th are sandwiched between 1st and 2nd and 5th and 6th. So I find it very easy to upshift from 2nd to 5th (there goes that lap record:)) and, even worse, to downshift  from 6th into 3rd (there goes that engine).

I can hear Croc saying the 6 sp is not for unskilled amateurs like me. But I have been driving sticks since 1962, and there has been almost no time since then that I haven't had at least one stick car in the garage.

Its not Caterham, I had a 6 sp Honda last year and have a 6 sp Miata now, to go with my Caterham and have had the same problem with all. A 5 sp with (essentially) 4 usable gears at the track, is much more "fool proof".

I'd switch my 6sp for  5 sp (which i had on my first 2 Se7ens) in a heart beat. Just one perspective.

I have the Caterham six speed in my yellow car.  It’s a great match with my high revving RoverK series motor.  The ratios are a great match and I love the long first gear which gets me to 60mph.  The 1:1 sixth gear allows it to keep pulling down the straights.   Nice short throws as well.:driving: Tom

I have the Quaife sequential 6spd that's close ratio. I can only assume it's very similar or identical to the regular close ratio 6 spd. 

I also have the regular 5 speed backup and have no plans on ever using it barring a worst case scenario of sequential grenading. 

I may not be the best reference here as I have a turbo 2L and no track time yet, but I find my SPC 5-spd (1:1 4th) to be more than enough. I would even consider a taller rear end (3.38 now). It seems to me that a top gear 1-1 only makes sense if the car is mostly dedicated to the track. I wouldn’t want to lose my overdrive.

Daniel

I am not a fan of the Ford box in my car. I do not know if it is inherent in the design or just old. It takes a lot of force to change gears. The synchronizers seem to take a while to match the speed of the gears. Is the Caterham 6 speed better? 

Vovchandr

I am curious about your sequential gear box. I assume it has helical gears. Do you drive it on the street? How hard is it to get it in gear when you are stopped? How much maintenance is involved with it? 

6 minutes ago, CarlB said:

I am not a fan of the Ford box in my car. I do not know if it is inherent in the design or just old. It takes a lot of force to change gears. The synchronizers seem to take a while to match the speed of the gears. Is the Caterham 6 speed better? 

Vovchandr

I am curious about your sequential gear box. I assume it has helical gears. Do you drive it on the street? How hard is it to get it in gear when you are stopped? How much maintenance is involved with it? 

All straight cut dog box sequential. Old design Quaife Sierra. I drive 98% of the time on the street and when I come to a stop I rarely put it into neutral, just keep it in first. 

So far the maintenance was taking it apart when the clutch failed and inspecting/resealing replacing gaskets etc after 20 years. Looked pretty healthy. 

Gear whine is very addictive. 

Edited by Vovchandr