Eggsy

DemoDan

I've been thinking about a good name for the 2003 Birkin S3 I've inherited from my Brother-in-law. I wanted something agile and swift, not too stuffy yet British. Perhaps along the lines of Bond007, Charlie Croker or Austin Powers. Then over the weekend I saw Kingsman The Secret Service movie again and suddenly all the signs pointed to the movie's main hero "Gary 'Eggsy' Unwin". I laughed out loud when it hit me and the good reasons for Eggsy are still mounting. The dearly departed Dan that last had this car used to have an ancient wreck of a Mercedes 180 that was affectionately named Iggy. Eggsy sounds pretty similar... and Unwin so I won't be tempted to race anyone maybe. I think he would've chuckled and approve of the legacy and reasoning. Eggsy in the movie is very British and agile and the furthest away from being refined and stuffy. We took Eggsy out for it's first drive out of the immediate neighborhood to Point Defiance park. Judy my wife,  departed Dan's sister, came along for the ride on the Five Mile Drive via Ruston Way; Commencement and Chambers Bays; and Steilacoom. We laughed that Eggsy is how things will probably crack if I got it even a little off track but we had a wonderful time and made it home safely. Hands too full to take very many pictures I'm afraid on our first real blat but here are a few of my Se7en experience so far.
I don't know exactly how long it has been parked in storage. Youtube video from the first jump and fire-up:
It's Alive

20201019_110826.jpg

20201019_110910.jpg

20201020_103038.jpg

I finally got the car to it's new home in Tacoma early March 2021
Hosed it off and took it to the Wednesday night car meet at our local Safeway parking lot.
Went to work and enjoyed the contrast against my daily driver dump truck.

20210307_151820.jpg

20210421_183551.jpg

20210421_184105.jpg

20210429_120546.jpg

Response to the Brightonuk thread The easiest way to transport your Caterham 

That aluma tilt trailer looks pretty nice and just right.
Id like to trailer Eggsy up to visit daughter's family in Sequim this weekend and explore the Port Angeles area with the kids. Eggsy the Birkin loads and fits pretty good in this 6x10 split ramp gate utility trailer from Summit.

What keeps it from rolling around on the trailer? I have 4 D-rings fastened to the frame and spaced about 12"-18" from the front and the back of the car and I use a crisscross tie down pattern to locate the car. So I use quite a bit more space to secure my car in my 16' trailer.

That was the first time in the trailer for proof of concept. The lower gate/ramp half closes now if I lift the back 3 inches on blocks. 
Wheel chocks all around and it'll go just like a John Deere mower. 

20210504_111028.jpg

20210504_111503.jpg

20210504_184921.jpg

20210504_185201.jpg

Reminds me of a story one of my professors told me years ago about a weekend trip to a Formula Ford race. On the way home on the highway, they were suddenly passed by their own car! It had fallen off the trailer. It was in gear. The magneto caught when the wheels hit the road and started the engine. They weren't sure whether to laugh or cry as they watched it go zooming off onto the median.

DemoDan, I'm been enjoying your posts.  Eggsy is a great name for the car.  Well chosen.

By the way, it is entirely feasible to do without proper tie down straps.  I have done it similar several times, in U-Haul trucks with no hooks.  Wood for chalks, braced fully to the front, rear and sides, nailed into wooden floor.  Having said that, I have often been accused of excess in tie downs.  I worked for a while as Safety Director for a top specialty hauler (high, wide and ugly stuff).  Blocking can work for a car as long as it's all smooth driving.  When things go wrong, proper securing can make a big difference.

Why don't you take off the nose cone? It will give you a few inches of additional space.

I don't see where he said he wasn't going to tie down the car on that trailer. There's lots of space through the spokes of those panasports to tie down the car using some proper straps. 

Edited by TheDingo8MyBaby

Love the stories from professors and safety directors! This very car made it from Santa Rosa to Tacoma in the back of a Penske with only a furniture blanket almost under the RR tire as a chock (photo evidence above!). I plan to use an actual hold-down in that little trailer. Did you know that a single 2" ratchet strap is weight rated for three of these 1100 lb. cars? Thanks for the nosecone tip and I'm really sorry 'bout your baby, mate. I never use wheel spokes to hold down, that is only looking for trouble!
This will work for the weekend.

20210507_112937.jpg

20210507_165003.jpg

20210507_165211.jpg

20210507_164850.jpg

With a car cover like that, at speed it will flap about and may mark the paint.  You might be better just using that cover to protect the cockpit area/keep it dry and leave the rest of the body to fend for itself - I expect it would be fine with out a cover.  

Love the name Eggsy!  :classic_biggrin:

Very ingenious! As a self-appointed member of the trailer safety patrol, I am not a fan of the open hook tie down you are using. The problem is, if the strap stretches or the buckle loosens, there is a danger that the hook will come off. So, a closed end tie down is preferred. It may set you back $40-$60, but? Otherwise, be sure to double check tightness occasionally, esp after the first 50 miles or so as that's when things most often loosen up.

Thanks Croc for the car cover advice! I'm still test fitting things that I already have in the pick-up truck toolbox . That canvas tarp is just in case of that golf ball sized hail that you hear about! Eggsy has four or five options for keeping the cockpit dryish and only light drizzles today I went with the medium sized cover.
Trailered Eggsy to Sequim a hundred miles each way to visit the kids and take them for drives along the Dungeness river. Fun was had by all! Eggsy stayed dry and didn't slip one bit.

20210508_113434.jpg

• 2 weeks later...