Can register in California - YAY!

TomSalter

The unfortunate thing is it seems that since Covid the CARB has got involved and put the kibosh on Caterhams. There are many 7's in California trying to get registered under SB100 (myself included) and it's just not happening. 

Please prove me wrong

Here are a couple of links that you may find to be pertinent if you haven't been to them already:

1). From the California DMV website:

Registering a Specially Constructed Vehicle

To register a specially constructed vehicle (including a kit commercial vehicle), you will need: 

2). From the California Bureau of Automotive Repair website:

A Specially Constructed Vehicle is legally defined as “a vehicle which is built for private use, not for resale, and is not constructed by a licensed manufacturer or remanufacturer.” Specially Constructed Vehicles include:

• Kit cars
  • Vehicles built from a combination of new and used parts
  • Dismantled vehicles that look completely different from the original

There are special laws and regulations associated with registering Specially Constructed Vehicles. In addition to the regular DMV registration process, these vehicles must be inspected by a Smog Check Referee prior to being registered and, if required, must pass a smog check.

Obtaining an SB100 Certificate

An SB100 certificate allows you to register your specially constructed vehicle as brand new (called a SPCN), but exempted as if it were a 1965 or older model. The DMV gives out 500 SB100 certificates a year on a first-come, first-serve basis. There are four steps to apply for an SB 100 certificate:

1. Fill out the paperwork, including an “Application for Registration” and a “Statement of Facts” form, which are available at the DMV. Once complete, you will be assigned a SB 100 number.

2. Set up an appointment at a California Highway Patrol office to obtain a VIN number. Bring all paperwork and receipts showing VIN numbers for your vehicle’s engine, transmission, and other components.

3. Make an appointment with a Smog Check Referee to get an inspection.

4. Bring all paperwork back to the DMV, where you will receive your plates. Be sure to keep copies of all paperwork that you receive during the registration process.

Keep us updated on your progress.

Hi all. I have a question which is not directly related to the recent CARB-related issues with completing SB100, but I'm hoping I can get some help, please. A couple of years ago, I bought a used (imperial) chassis from Texas, which was formerly part of a fully assembled and TX-registered car (it also came with a bunch of parts to get me started). For me, it represented a blank canvas, to build my ideal car from scratch. I am very slowly building it back into a complete car (albeit it with my own drivetrain, for which I have maintained receipts).

I have always been unclear if I should initiate the SB100 process now (with completion probably still more than 1 year away), or wait until the car is closer to being on the road. I have always been a bit worried about the SB100 process being terminated, so was wondering if I should just present my receipts, pay my fees, get my number, and start the process today. If I did so, is there any disadvantage? If I get a SB100 number now, is there a deadline, before which you must complete the process?

Very grateful for any thoughts on this. 

Under current rules (unlike a few years ago) you really can’t start early because (I have read)) you can’t get your sequence number until the car is complete; you have to get brake and light or CHP inspection first (I don’t remember which).  In addition, in principle, you can’t pay your use tax until the car is complete because you don’t know how much of your own labor is used to build it, and you are taxed on your own labor, which you report as part of the application.   Even if you could do that, if you changed your mind, became disabled, died, etc. before finishing the process, you would want to ask the state for all your money back.  I believe that can be done but it seems risky and unnecessary trouble.  And finally, if you pay up before completion all that use tax is in the states hands not yours while you are laboring away..  That’s not very good financial management.  I really doubt SB100 is going to be “terminated” and certainly not without warning.  But of course, no one can predict the future.

Edited by awatkins

Thanks awatkins: I was under the impression sequence numbers were issued right at the beginning of the process - it sounds like that changed. I had no idea that "labor" was used in the use tax calculation either! I work really slowly - does that mean it will essentially be zero dollars? :-) 

Hopefully SB100 will not go away - I always feel like it is in danger of extinction, though, and I will be left with a very expensive ornament in my garage.

8 hours ago, TomSalter said:

For folks talking directly to the ARB, how long do they usually take to get back in touch? I emailed them on Thursday and I’m still waiting for them to get back in touch with me.

Anywhere from next day to never!

Sorry mate

A suggestion based on years and years of chasing people by telephone:  #1 if you are told someone will call you back, ask when you should expect a call back, #2 If that answer is reasonable call back no later than 24 hrs. past that deadline, if #3 is not reasonable call back every two days until you get a response.  Squeaky wheel, etc....

And BTW, if your first email isn't answered within 48 hrs., send one more stating that it's a resend, give that 24 hrs., then get on the phone (see above).

Edited by awatkins

I'm dreaming ahead here I know, about the glorious time where I will be able to take my 310S to a BAR station for inspection. So, related to the previous questions about PCV, does anyone know if the Ford Sigma engine in the 310S by default meets the requirements of a closed loop PCV? Looks like it vents out to a tank. I realize I am much less knowledgeable about all of this given I didn't build the car, but I'm hoping the default setup works for the BAR.

-Tom

My car has a 1700 crossflow ford with dual webers and no provision for smog.  We put a PCV valve on the hose coming out of the breather in the block and ran it into one of the Weber air cleaners.  Unfortunately I haven't been able to have it inspected.  I completed all my DMV paperwork and inspections and got my sequence number over a year ago.   On July 31, 2020 I had a virtual appointment by phone with the BAR which took two weeks to make.  The call lasted about five minutes and I was told to email all the documents for review.  A year later I'm still waiting for the BAR referee to see my car.  Emails are sometimes returned others not.  Two promises of phone calls haven't happened.  It seems like it's one way communication.  I can only email since I don't have a number for the person I'm dealing with.  When he's called me, his number is blocked.  I just paid for another year's registration but it's incomplete awaiting smog certification.  I'm on my fifth or sixth temporary operating permit.  Patiently, I wait.

3 hours ago, Heloman said:

My car has a 1700 crossflow ford with dual webers and no provision for smog.  We put a PCV valve on the hose coming out of the breather in the block and ran it into one of the Weber air cleaners.  Unfortunately I haven't been able to have it inspected.  I completed all my DMV paperwork and inspections and got my sequence number over a year ago.   On July 31, 2020 I had a virtual appointment by phone with the BAR which took two weeks to make.  The call lasted about five minutes and I was told to email all the documents for review.  A year later I'm still waiting for the BAR referee to see my car.  Emails are sometimes returned others not.  Two promises of phone calls haven't happened.  It seems like it's one way communication.  I can only email since I don't have a number for the person I'm dealing with.  When he's called me, his number is blocked.  I just paid for another year's registration but it's incomplete awaiting smog certification.  I'm on my fifth or sixth temporary operating permit.  Patiently, I wait.

How does it work getting the temporary permits while awaiting BAR approval?

I bought the car from Texas.  When I initially started the registration process I paid all my fees and was given a temporary sticker pending the smog inspection.  I just keep renewing the temp registration every few months.

10 hours ago, Heloman said:

I bought the car from Texas.  When I initially started the registration process I paid all my fees and was given a temporary sticker pending the smog inspection.  I just keep renewing the temp registration every few months.

Do you have to go the the dmv every time?

Well, in the meantime I got another temporary permit! This time until end of October :classic_cool:

My previous temporary permits were just a sticker I put on the roll cage and a piece of red paper to say the month. This time, they affixed the sticker directly to the paper so now I have no external sign that it's legally permitted. I asked and the DMV said this was normal. Anyone know which way it should be? 

It sounds like the situation has changed from my experience in 2018-19 when I registered mine.

That said, here is my CA experience:

- went to DMV with receipts for engine, trans, and kit. I also had my MSO which did not, to my knowledge, have anything related to spcns. With that info I paid registration and they gave me a list of info that I needed to get as well as my sb-100 number

- the things I needed to provide were: 1) inspection by police, 2) inspection at certified BAR station (not normal, typically found at community colleges), and brake and light inspection.

- put my unfinished car (engine and trans installed, but basically just the long block) on a trailer and took it to the police (with appointment). 30min later they gave me a form.

- once the car was running I got a temp permit and drove to the BAR exam (with appointment). That was the moment my SB-100 was really approved as an spcns based on what the car looks like. The gentleman checked for pcv, checked my documents, and placed a sticker on the engine bay side of the fire wall. The shop had pictures of all sorts of interesting cars and he clearly knew what I wanted

- went to brake and light inspection (basically a joke, the guy was convinced my brakes worked since I drove it there)

- took all those documents back to the dmv and got my plates

What I could imagine is that CA started treating Caterham as a manufacturer (which is actually fair since they do sell finished cars). However, that could also just be a consequence of misunderstanding after somebody tried to register with sb-100 with a fully assembled car from caterham. Somebody would need to push the main office (in Santa Barbara I think) to confirm. It’s that office that controls sb-100 numbers and has the power to reject from the start. 

Daniel

• 4 weeks later...