Can register in California - YAY!

TomSalter

On 8/30/2021 at 9:17 PM, Loromayor said:

I just bought a Motorsport S2K ultralite and I will need help registering it in California, what’s my best approach, the car was register in Texas I have a clean title from there.

Congratulations on your purchase. Ultralight is IMHO the only 7 variant that's possibly better than a Caterham. 

As far as registration is concerned SB100 has become tricky in California as I'm sure you've read. But I think not being a "Caterham" might work in your favor. 

SB100 is going to take you some time and it's kind of a pain, but if you're patient it's doable

Since you mentioned Topanga I'm going to assume you're in the LA area. I recommend you use the Thousand Oaks DMV. They have a reputation for being hip to SB100.

Please keep us all updated with your progress. 

Good luck!

Tom —

Sorry the link I posted to the ARB staff directory was pointing to someone specific at ARB entirely unrelated to your issue.

This link:

https://agency.calepa.ca.gov/staffdirectory/

takes you to the top of the directory where you can find anyone’s phone #, email, etc.  I suggest calling the people you spoke to before.  The email addresses I have seen have both their first and last name so finding them in the directory should be easy.

Edited by awatkins
expanded

• 4 weeks later...

Finally heard back from the ARB - they have finished their review and I am good to go for the BAR inspection.  :D

Thank you so much everyone for the advice in this thread, and for those who read this after me and are trying to get their car registered - be persistent! :)

-Tom

Looks promising.

I spoke to Ron Edmonson last Thursday. He said they were supposed to have a meeting with ARB that afternoon and he would call me back to let me know how it went. Haven't heard back from him yet. I'll keep pestering him.

19 hours ago, TomSalter said:

Now on to my next question!

I am a mechanical idiot. Does my 310S have an open or closed PCV system? And will I need to modify anything before the inspection?

-Tom

Your car should be closed PCV. I think you're probably good to go. Just take all your paperwork.

When's your appointment?

I'm sure I speak for all the people on this thread when I wish you GOOD LUCK.

This subject calls for some care.  I have heard that the so-called “closed system” requirement in reality varies from referee to referee.  There are at least two interpretations of what “closed system” means:

1. The crankcase is connected to the air cleaner housing by a hose or tube, and is otherwise not open to the atmosphere.

2. The crankcase is connected to the intake manifold (i.e downsteam from the throttle body(s)) via a positive crankcase ventilation valve which carefully meters the ingress of fumes so as not to interfere with the air/fuel mixture.

It is my understanding the modern Caterhams come with neither.  So it’s not clear to me Tom is “probably good to go.”

If anyone has facts to the contrary I would like to hear them.

I believe the Euro 5 cars are closed system. I know that my 420R is not. Not sure about the Sigma-engined cars.

I am very pleased to hear that the roadblock against Caterhams may have been lifted. Maybe I'll get a plate someday after all.

Routing to the air filter or intake manifold are largely the same. OEM’s typically do both (mandatory in forced induction cars where manifold pressure exceeds crankcase pressure). I passed with the air filter routing only and the inspector did check it carefully. I can’t speak to what the inspector will do, but I would think that so long as you aren’t venting the crankcase to atmosphere they would pass you. If you are dry sump remember to run the tank to the filter.

Daniel

After looking more closely at the setup, it looks like I need to modify it. I have the hose going from the PCV to the catch can, and then a hose from the catch can venting to atmosphere. Looks like I have to route from the catch can to the intake manifold. Should be quick and easy, will book when that's done (work is taking up all my time at the moment!)

-Tom

Looks like I have to route from the catch can to the intake manifold.”

Not quite.  Below is how it’s done.   The only thing connected to the intake manifold is the PCV valve itself (as shown) and it has to be the correct end of the PCV valve.  Anything else risks letting uncontrolled air into the intake manifold potentially leading to engine destruction from lean running, etc.

Explanation of exactly what PCV valves do.  This is worth understanding:

https://innovationdiscoveries.space/what-does-a-pcv-valve-do-best-answer/

(Don’t know what “OEM System” refers to below, not my drawing)

image.jpeg

Edited by awatkins