Valve seals for a 1987 SuperSprint 1700 engine

Anker

I took the head off my 1700 SuperSprint engine because it was smoking after idling. My suspicion was that the valve seals were to blame, and on inspection I am correct. They don't seal to the valve guide at all and seal poorly to the stems. I had bought a set of seals from Pegasus, but they prove to be the wrong size. Can someone tell me what seals I need and where I can purchase them?

Thanks/Anker

For sure Burton Power in the UK would have them. I’m sure there are other US suppliers. I don't have any valve seals on mine and never had an issue.

Did you remove the head or just valve cover to check? Probably worth lapping in the valves if the head is off. 

The head is completely off. I wanted to take a close look at everything from the top. There is negligible cylinder wear, some carbon buildup everywhere that I'll clean off, and the valve guides were completely loose on the guides and pretty loose on the valve stems. I did it because I get some smoke when it has idled for a while and I then give gas. My experience is that comes from oil being sucked into the cylinder through the valve guides when there is significant vacuum in the intake. I ordered some Ford guides from Pegasus for the Formula Ford that look like the ones I removed. If they fit I'll order some better ones from either Burton or Pegasus, and do a replacement when it starts smoking again.

I got mine recently from Ivey Engines and passed them on to the machine shop that was going through the head for hardened inserts.  Very nice folks at Ivey.