The adventure begins....building my 420R

Sorry for no updates. Making slow progress. Engine is in and learned some lessons along the way. Keep thinking how much easier this would be the second time but having fun bumbling along. 

On 5/13/2021 at 5:09 PM, mdork said:

First (dumb) question. I know the IVA trim for the suspension/body openings are required in the UK but are folks in the US installing? What's the risk/downside? The paint isn't totally perfect on the edges so might make sense to add but curious what the prevailing wisdom is...

I think I’m in the minority but when I asked about IVA trim with the tech folks apparently some of it is only used for kit builds in the UK, for factory build they don’t use it. No idea why except stupid government regulation. I basically only used IVA stuff that actually had an obvious function like grommets. The edge trim for the exhaust for example I started to put on but didn’t like the look of it so I took it off, still off today.

Thanks - right now I’ve only done the steering rack exit and doesn’t look bad. Haven’t decided if I’ll keep going. Wish Caterham had done a bit better with the paint application. 

Despite reading all the build blogs on the headlight process, it still took me 3 hours so get the first assembly done. Pure comedy as I repeatedly started over after getting the sequence wrong. Super happy with the end result. Second one will be easier!

6521228F-6077-41F4-805B-4CC6FF2B1DBE.jpeg

68FAA5D0-3EA2-49AD-9E33-0F6D6F72C6D0.jpeg

As expected, second assembly took 30 minutes. Got the front anti roll bar installed as well. Hoping to tackle radiator and some plumbing this weekend. Progress feels good. 

B692A3F8-7682-4B8E-9347-9BC44FEB5D82.jpeg