Finally got my 620r on track! WHAT A BEAST!

Hi Folks, 

You guys may remember me a year ago or so when I had purchased my yellow 620R from a shop in NY. Since then it has been quite a journey until we got it over in Seattle and Bruce from Beachman Racing got it working! Then we noticed that, I'm a bit tall for the S3 chassis, so we lowered the floors and of course it didn't sound that good - so got rid of the rear exhaust with a traditional side one - which sounds just perfect! :)

I have to say I'm very lucky to have Beachman Racing in my zipcode otherwise I probably would be still driving my Lotus instead! His experience, knowledge should be downloaded and archived so it can pass on for future generations! :) He also tolerates my "mechanical retardation" which I appreciate :)

Anyways, long story short - after a year of waiting around - finally getting it home putting on 500 miles under 5k RPM powersliding in Seattle rain, I finally had the opportunity to join a track day with Beachman and 2 other Caterhams,  and my friends Ariel Atom 3S at Oregon Raceway Park (This is track in the middle of nowhere but suits lightweight cars quite well)  

Now ,I only had 500 miles with a Caterham, never tracked this car before.. still getting used to the flatshift seq box, etc.. so I was worried that it would be a handful but I have to say I was very impressed on how predictable it was, very well mannered. There was some mild understeer in medium corners, a bit twitchy if you don't respect the throttle and had a bit of a lift on some off-camber over the hill corners - but all where expected with the stock alignment, tires and setup.  There was not one single moment where I was confused on how the car reacted, which I can't say for all other cars i've driven or raced in the past. It was beautiful to drive.  Things came a bit fast, i had to adjust to the speed and the sequential box was amazing with the flatshift. I couldn't get heal'n'toe to work - neither Beachman because of how small the S3 pedal box was. We will need to try something else I assume with the pedals later. 

Going out, my intention was to take it easy with my friend in his modified Atom 3S - but we had a bit of a play date instead :)

First half of the video i'm chasing the 3S. Second half he is chasing me. Ohh,, that cone that was in the side of the road that I hit - unfortunately broke both left hand fenders, which is probably gonna hurt my wallet as they are carbon fiber :( Other then that the first day was amazing and I cannot wait to drive this beast more.  

Special thanks for Beachman for helping me get on the track - which has been a 5 year dream for me!!

Great video and glad you had a great experience first time out on track with the 620R.  Love the circuit - a safer version of the Nurburging.

@BruceBe (Beachman Racing) Can I do a shakedown at that track with my car when you finish it this year?  Pleassssssse!  I want a playdate with Cem's 620R.  :classic_unsure:

Cem: What a great Caterham track:all turns almost no straight. It reminds me of the Waterford Hills track in MI. I'd love to see how a well driven XFlow did in comparison, given all the slow turns and 100 mph straight stretch.

Croc: I am looking forward to the video of you and Cong playing with this 620R (which I suddenly feel I need-or at least its transmission:)).

@Croc - Are you local here as-well? What are you building? :) Let's play!!

@Kitcat - Yea the track is awesome for these cars. The Atom 3S had advantage with the DF though on medium speed corners (+also he was running wider tires). But i do think these cars will also do not too bad at high speed tracks. I'm sure they'll be able to keep up with most out there easly.   Btw who is Cong and what is he driving? :) 

12 minutes ago, cemaykan said:

@Croc - Are you local here as-well? What are you building? :) Let's play!!

@Croc is an omnipresent 7 deity.

I once posted a random video of a Caterham in Singapore and Croc was reminiscing about the hotel that was seen in the background. Posted another picture of a 7 on a track with the ocean in the background and Croc was commenting on how it always rains there and turn 3 becomes complicated. 

Morgan Freeman Wow GIF by Regal

Edited by Vovchandr

6 minutes ago, Vovchandr said:

I once posted a random video of a Caterham in Singapore and Croc was reminiscing about the hotel that was seen in the background. Posted another picture of a 7 on a track with the ocean in the background and Croc was commenting on how it always rains there and turn 3 becomes complicated. 

Morgan Freeman Wow GIF by Regal

Well then that's another reason to play @Croc! :)

2 hours ago, Vovchandr said:

Interesting.  Most people use another D word to describe me. 

2 hours ago, cemaykan said:

- ... but I suppose the 620r has no chance :) 

I would not assume that.  I bring a major power-to-weight disadvantage to my car.  Plus, your driving skills on video show you are much better than the average hacker so I think I have a challenge. 

Sensational track - loved the layout.  

On 6/15/2021 at 8:25 AM, Kitcat said:

Cem: What a great Caterham track:all turns almost no straight. It reminds me of the Waterford Hills track in MI. I'd love to see how a well driven XFlow did in comparison, given all the slow turns and 100 mph straight stretch.

Croc: I am looking forward to the video of you and Cong playing with this 620R (which I suddenly feel I need-or at least its transmission:)).

Much like the Nurburgring, indeed, except for miles of safe, flat runoff. no monster pine trees (or ANY trees, for that matter), a paucity of traffic (especialy those lovely minivans and transits), manageable speeds, and a complete absence of Armco under your elbows.  That 620R is a rare and wonderful bird, with similarly iridescent plumage.  A terrific purchase, Cemaykan, and a car to keep for life - congratulations! 

I am also in the market for a road/track car, and recently, my attention has shifted to the Seven imaged below.  I am seduced by the same attraction afflicting Kitcat - the desire to massage a sequential shifter.  There are several on the market now, designed for LS series motors, and they can be adapted to the Brunton drivetrain with minor fuss.  Scott Minehart has offered to perform the installation if I ship the car down to his FL shop.  If anyone has experience with installation of a sequential, especially vis-a-vis a Stalker, please advise:

IMG_3550.jpg

IMG_3560.jpg

IMG_3563.jpg

IMG_3566.jpg

Edited by Bruce K

I MEANT TO QUOTE CROC:

"Great video and glad you had a great experience first time out on track with the 620R.  Love the circuit - a safer version of the Nurburging."

20 hours ago, Bruce K said:

I am seduced by the same attraction afflicting Kitcat - the desire to massage a sequential shifter.

I couldn't imagine describing the experience as "massaging a sequential shifter" as it was quite violent. Not just because of the force needed to clank the gears but also from the back kick and loud pop. Reassuring yourself that it would be OK and not lift for the next pop which kept coming rapidly was quite the experience!

That car looks amazing - don't wait ... just get it...! :)