Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I've got a Caterham R300 (2013) with about 5,000 miles on it. I think I'm going to sell it. I've never done anything like this before. I'd appreciate any help you can give on setting and price and picking a place or places to list it.

 

This is the originally listing from back when I bought the car:

 

Quote

*** ONLY 5 MILES *** BRAND NEW! FRESHLY BUILT CATERHAM SUPERLIGHT R300! $59,500 IN PARTS ALONE BEFORE LABOR! WHY WAIT TO BUILD ONE - AVAILABLE TODAY! SAVE $15,000. FORD DURATEC 2.0L 175HP ENGINE! LIMTED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL! FULL SCREEN & WEATHER EQUIPMENT! MOMO STEERING WHEEL! 5-SPEED MANUAL! Finished in Viper Blue Metallic with bonnet and nose stripe in white. Caterham sport racing seats with 4-point racing harness. Leather wrapped 3-spoke Momo steering wheel with Caterham aluminum short shifter. 15” 10-spoke graphite finished alloy wheels with full size spare and carrier. Push–button ignition starter. Full screen with weather equipment and tonneau cover. Other features include aero filler cap, limited slip differential, track-day roll bar, exhaust guards with 7” silencer in black, battery master switch and fire extinguisher. All Manuals and 2 Keys. Complete invoices. Non-Smoker. Stunning!

 

The car has about 4,000 miles on it now (I think, I should check). I made several mods:

  1. Added a 5th point to the harnesses
  2. Changed out the battery for a smaller lithium battery
  3. Added USB ports to the dash
  4. Replaced the speedo with a GPS based speedo
  5. Added doors
  6. Added a half-top
  7. Added a rollbar mounted third brake light
  8. Added several small chips, a scratch or two, and a small crack in the windshield.

 

It's registered as an antique vehicle in Texas, although I think my 5 year registration will need to be renewed soon. Also, the tires are original. They look good, but they're getting old.

 

I was thinking about asking for something in the low $40s, but I don't have a good sense for whether that is too high or too low.

 

Once again, I'm interested in any advice on how to price it and where to sell it. And if anyone wants to buy it, I guess I'm also open for offers.

IMG_20191012_102601.jpg

IMG_20191116_082646.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not an expert here but to my eye I think this is a mid 40's car in todays market. Might not sell immediately but it should sell well on a long time table.


Between the world going electric and demand for anything enthusiast like already on the up and up, as well as the back order build dates for Caterhams being about a year out this nicely equipped modern Duratec model is well positioned. There was a Zetec that recently sold on BAT in the 40's. BAT is a good option to consider as it reaches the widest audience with seemingly deepest pockets but obviously this site has been used with success by many. Just recently there was a member bumping threads with hope of finding something available. 

 

One thing thats expected by any modern seller is pictures and lots of them. They don't have to be professional but that surely helps and usually pays for itself even if you have to hire somebody. Plus you get to keep the pictures to look back on fondly after that experience. 

 

With you being in TX there likely will be lots of CA residents interested but they are going through the whole SB100 registration issues which you can't really help them with. Many other buyers will be interested in how it's titled due to complications of owning it in their states after. I assume it's registered as a 2013 in Texas. Ideally if it's titled as a 1965 replica or similar that's most desired at it opens up most possibilities for use in other states without issues. 

 

Unfortunately the mods will not typically help the resale. If you're looking to get most back out of the sale you're likely better of selling doors and half hood separately here. They will likely sell very quick and add more value than being part of the sale overall. 

 

Edit: Could you do me a small favor and measure your front fender width in the center > edge to edge? You have the same wheels I have and I'm troubleshooting my fitment issues in a different thread and looking for more data points. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

..."With you being in TX there likely will be lots of CA residents interested but they are going through the whole SB100 registration issues which you can't really help them with. Many other buyers will be interested in how it's titled due to complications of owning it in their states after. I assume it's registered as a 2013 in Texas. Ideally if it's titled as a 1965 replica or similar that's most desired at it opens up most possibilities for use in other states without issues..."

 

If it is registered on a Texas Antique plate, the title probably says something like mine - 1965 Lotus.  I only have the Classic plate which requires annual Safety inspection (no smog), and annual renewal.  The Antique plate gets a 5 year registration at some discount and no annual Safety inspection.  The reason I have not upgraded to Antique is that the application requires an affidavit with conditions on a little restricted use (no one will ever know anyway), BUT you are also swearing that it is not a REPLICA (it is).  A nasty cop might see through that.  Keep your Antique plate when you sell it and deliver it with the title.  The buyer can get a 30 day temp paper plate for about $20 if he needs it to get home and transfer the title.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I also have a wild card alternative if you're even considering an auction site like BaT.

 

You can reach out to Doug Demuro @ Cars&Bids and there is a good chance he would do a custom review for your 7 auction.

 

He hasn't reviewed a 7 yet for his channel and he seems to be willing to travel to do reviews for cars that will be listed on Cars&Bids as it kills two birds with one stone. There has not been a Caterham listed on his website yet. You'd be the first. He likes minty stock cars of highest trim. Since 620R is hard to come by and the rest of trims are very similar with few options, it could come to fruition. 

 

If he does such a review, your listing would be timed with the release of your video and get the most views on it.

 

Here is an example (time stamped to announcement of listing)

 

 

One caveat even IF this whole thing would come together is that it would likely be at least a month + out to fit into his video release rotation. If you're looking for something quicker regular auctions and listings would work. 

 

Edited by Vovchandr
Link to post
Share on other sites

We're presently listing a car on BaT for a dear friend with medical issues.  The BaT lead time is about a month to 6 weeks from the date of application to auction end.  It is not an immediate cause and effect situation like placing an ad on Craigslist.  But then you reach a targeted audience of higher quality buyers.  It also takes some time to put together the necessary materials to support the advert.  In this case we took a few cell phone pics and included them with the application.   We were pretty confident of BaT accepting the application so we went forward with taking the pics in advance.  I spent about a week all-in on the pics; parts of 3 separate days on taking pics, another day shooting video, and the remaining 2 days editing video, down selecting still images and then uploading to Flickr & Vimeo to host.  Or you can arrange photography through BaT using one of their 'preferred' photographers.  For a fee of course.

 

Besides taking pics, you will need to be able to spend a fair amount of time supporting the auction once it goes live.  with 2 days remaining we're presently at 74 or so comments with about 1/3 of those requiring responses from the sellers (myself and my colleague).  Most of the questions come from individuals who are looky-loos at best.  Never the less it is important to deal effectively with all requests for information.  It is critical that your responses be honest, accurate, and most importantly, timely.  Basically, the more attention that you can give to the auction, the better your results will be.  Here's a link to the MGB V8 we're selling to give you a flavor of the commitment required.

 

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-mg-mgb-gt-31/

 

Best of luck if you decide to move forward with a sale.  Or if you go forward with an auction, as commenters typically say on BaT, GLWTA.

Edited by escondidoron
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Vovchandr said:

One thing thats expected by any modern seller is pictures and lots of them. They don't have to be professional but that surely helps and usually pays for itself even if you have to hire somebody. Plus you get to keep the pictures to look back on fondly after that experience. 

 

 

 

Edit: Could you do me a small favor and measure your front fender width in the center > edge to edge? You have the same wheels I have and I'm troubleshooting my fitment issues in a different thread and looking for more data points. 

 

 

I'll make sure to take a bunch of pictures. I'm a hobbyist photographer, so that won't be a problem.

 

I measured my front fender as roughly 9" from edge to edge, so I presume that would be 4.5" from center to edge.

 

19 hours ago, panamericano said:

If it is registered on a Texas Antique plate, the title probably says something like mine - 1965 Lotus.  I only have the Classic plate which requires annual Safety inspection (no smog), and annual renewal.  The Antique plate gets a 5 year registration at some discount and no annual Safety inspection.  The reason I have not upgraded to Antique is that the application requires an affidavit with conditions on a little restricted use (no one will ever know anyway), BUT you are also swearing that it is not a REPLICA (it is).  A nasty cop might see through that.  Keep your Antique plate when you sell it and deliver it with the title.  The buyer can get a 30 day temp paper plate for about $20 if he needs it to get home and transfer the title.

 

I think it is registered as a '62 Lotus Seven or something like that. My wife handled all the registration. My intent was to register it as an assembled car or something like that, but when my wife took it in they said that they didn't have any of those plates and gave her an antique plate instead. I believe that I'm only supposed to drive it to shows or something. I've never been stopped, but I'm always prepared to say that I'm on my way to or from a "coffee and cars" or something.

 

 

18 hours ago, Vovchandr said:

I also have a wild card alternative if you're even considering an auction site like BaT.

 

 

 

I thought someone on the forum has been trying unsuccessfully for years to get him to review a 7. I know that he loves odd cars, but I don't think a seven is something he'd be interested in. I'm pretty certain that he's too big to safely fit into my S3 that has a standard (not lowered) floor.

 

16 hours ago, escondidoron said:

We're presently listing a car on BaT for a dear friend with medical issues.  The BaT lead time is about a month to 6 weeks from the date of application to auction end.  It is not an immediate cause and effect situation like placing an ad on Craigslist.  But then you reach a targeted audience of higher quality buyers.  It also takes some time to put together the necessary materials to support the advert.  In this case we took a few cell phone pics and included them with the application.   We were pretty confident of BaT accepting the application so we went forward with taking the pics in advance.  I spent about a week all-in on the pics; parts of 3 separate days on taking pics, another day shooting video, and the remaining 2 days editing video, down selecting still images and then uploading to Flickr & Vimeo to host.  Or you can arrange photography through BaT using one of their 'preferred' photographers.  For a fee of course.

 

Besides taking pics, you will need to be able to spend a fair amount of time supporting the auction once it goes live.  with 2 days remaining we're presently at 74 or so comments with about 1/3 of those requiring responses from the sellers (myself and my colleague).  Most of the questions come from individuals who are looky-loos at best.  Never the less it is important to deal effectively with all requests for information.  It is critical that your responses be honest, accurate, and most importantly, timely.  Basically, the more attention that you can give to the auction, the better your results will be.  Here's a link to the MGB V8 we're selling to give you a flavor of the commitment required.

 

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-mg-mgb-gt-31/

 

Best of luck if you decide to move forward with a sale.  Or if you go forward with an auction, as commenters typically say on BaT, GLWTA.

 

I had no idea that listing on BAT was so involved. That's good info. My challenge is that my wife and I are relatively recently retired and are only home for a 2-3 weeks at a time between travels. That might make it difficult. 

 

I really appreciate everyone's responses. I'll take a bunch of pictures of shoot some videos. I'll probably start by reposting here and in the local Lotus group Facebook site. If that doesn't work, I guess BAT is the next stop.

 

I'll miss the car. It was a dream come true to own one and I loved the first few years of having it. Also, this forum has been a great resource. The community really benefits its existence and the help the members provide.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the measurement. That confirms that my fenders are simply too narrow.

 

  

17 minutes ago, Cranky said:

I thought someone on the forum has been trying unsuccessfully for years to get him to review a 7. I know that he loves odd cars, but I don't think a seven is something he'd be interested in. I'm pretty certain that he's too big to safely fit into my S3 that has a standard (not lowered) floor.

 

That would have been me! He's interested when I emailed him but he doesn't like to travel for reviews since he moved to CA unless its for something extreme (IE the Triple F collection)

 

However since he started the new site he does go out of his way if he can kill two birds with one stone from what I've observed and does occasionally travel.

 

Can't be certain if he's too big or not. Likely feet would be too large even if he fits length wise. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mr DeMuro visits our local Cars & Coffee fairly often.  I have spoken to him a couple of times and asked if he would be interested in doing a piece on my Seven.  He replied that his primary focus was ‘80s - ‘90s cars as they seem to get the greatest interest on his channel.  So, no, he wasn’t interested.  And BTW I’m a bit taller than he is and my 6’-4” frame and size 13 feet fit into my car. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Cranky, I am very interested in buying your car. How do I contact you? Please contact me.
Jim Gianatsis, Los Angeles
Ph 818 223 8550

gianatsis@roadrunner.com

Link to post
Share on other sites

I uploaded a bunch of pictures. The first 17 are old pictures. The remaining pictures are ones I took this morning. I also included a video of a cold start. I just realized that I have no pictures of under the hood. I'll add more later. I put descriptions on a lot of the pictures to provide more context. I've tried to disclose everything relevant - the scratches, the crack in the windshield, and stuff like that.

 

You can see the pictures and video here: https://photos.barbierifamily.org/Other/Caterham-R300/n-R5865/i-cRMbBxw

 

Once again, I would like feedback on what pictures or videos would be helpful to prospective buyers.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, and if I sent you my phone number via the message function, please text me before you call. I get several spam calls a day trying to sell extended warranties and so I'm used to ignoring the phone. One prospective buyer called yesterday and his phone number showed up as "Scam likely". Fortunately, I answered it anyway. But texting first will help your chances of not being mistaken for spam.

 

If you do try to call and can't get through, message me with your number here and I'll call you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cranky said:

I uploaded a bunch of pictures. The first 17 are old pictures. The remaining pictures are ones I took this morning. I also included a video of a cold start. I just realized that I have no pictures of under the hood. I'll add more later. I put descriptions on a lot of the pictures to provide more context. I've tried to disclose everything relevant - the scratches, the crack in the windshield, and stuff like that.

 

You can see the pictures and video here: https://photos.barbierifamily.org/Other/Caterham-R300/n-R5865/i-cRMbBxw

 

Once again, I would like feedback on what pictures or videos would be helpful to prospective buyers.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Your photos look great Mark! Your should be a professional photogapher, too. ;)
I'm sure the engine compartment looks as good as the rest of the car, but just so we know there's not just a little hamster running around in wheel to power it, a picture of the motor there would be nice as well.  Thanks! Talk to you again soon. :)
Jim Gianatsis, Los Angeles

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Mike! I'm glad to see there isn't just a squirrel cage in there. :) - Let's Do This and give your Baby a Happy, Appreciative new Home!!! 
Let me know if i can send you a deposit now. Cheers, Jim

Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the biggest questions that keeps coming up about the car is fit. It's an S3, so it is small. I just measured the width of the seat and it is roughly 14" inches wide. If you're curious as to whether you'll fit, build yourself a mock seating area that has walls 14" apart and 6" high. If you can squeeze into that space comfortably, you can probably squeeze into the car. If your hips are too wide for that, they're probably too wide for the seat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Cranky said:

One of the biggest questions that keeps coming up about the car is fit. It's an S3, so it is small. I just measured the width of the seat and it is roughly 14" inches wide. If you're curious as to whether you'll fit, build yourself a mock seating area that has walls 14" apart and 6" high. If you can squeeze into that space comfortably, you can probably squeeze into the car. If your hips are too wide for that, they're probably too wide for the seat.

 

This should be a sticky in FAQ in regards to 7's with Tillett seats. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...