Jump to content

Recommended Posts

My car has a pretty hokey battery hold down and as I was going through the car today I found it broken. I was looking for something a little better than just replacing the strip of aluminum that was across the top of the batter. The battery is about 3" wide and the battery box is 5"x7" so there was a bent piece of aluminum as a filler. There are thin aluminum "risers" on each side that are welded to the tray.

 

I looked at Summit, Pegasus and Amazon and just found the usual J bolts, some with a cross bar that was likely way to big. The smallest one I saw was adjustable down to 5" which is much wider than the battery. There was one for a Braille battery that looks like it may work but I have know idea of the actual size. I was wondering if anyone knew of a better solution.

Battery.jpg

Battery Removed.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Jay - I made a very simple tie-down when I changed the battery on my Caterham.  The battery only weighs 3 lbs so it doesn't require a lot to keep it secure.  I have some aluminum and steel in various shapes and lots of different fasteners.  I'm sure we could fab something up without much difficulty in case you wanted to make the trip down.

IMG_3310.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, 11Budlite said:

Jay - I made a very simple tie-down when I changed the battery on my Caterham.  The battery only weighs 3 lbs so it doesn't require a lot to keep it secure.  I have some aluminum and steel in various shapes and lots of different fasteners.  I'm sure we could fab something up without much difficulty in case you wanted to make the trip down.

 


I was thinking exactly that solution. Yesterday I went to Home Depot but their metal selection was pitiful (the whole store seemed bare!). I purchased a piece of 1”x1” angle AL and 1/4” some threaded rod. I did not event try to look for bolts that long but they look cleaner and may take another look. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a metal supermarkets near you? I've found them really easy to work with. They stock pretty much everything and they'll usually cut any size you need.

Edited by MPG
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is another easy to make design.  Flat aluminum stock folded to make the tray, Aluminum flat stock for the tie downs, and wing nuts to speed removal.  The bends on the flat stock apply some tension to the wingnut assembly, acting like lock washers, so no need to torque them down too hard.  It's a little easier to fabricate something for a small Lithium battery like this, but I previously used a similar design for a PC680, which worked fine for years.

 

1594872397_Batteryholddown.thumb.jpg.947cef6b4a277285e5dd50a719613cd5.jpg

 

-John

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MPG said:

Is there a metal supermarkets near you? I've found them really easy to work with. They stock pretty much everything and they'll usually cut any size you need.

 

I did a search and did not find any nearby,  thank you for the suggestion

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JohnCh said:

Here is another easy to make design.  Flat aluminum stock folded to make the tray, Aluminum flat stock for the tie downs, and wing nuts to speed removal.  The bends on the flat stock apply some tension to the wingnut assembly, acting like lock washers, so no need to torque them down too hard.  It's a little easier to fabricate something for a small Lithium battery like this, but I previously used a similar design for a PC680, which worked fine for years.

 

-John

 

 

 

That looks nice. So far a home depot and a local hardware store have not realized much in the way of AL stock. I did pick up some angle Al that I may use

 

Thank you

Link to post
Share on other sites

Jay - if you don’t get it sorted let me know.  I’ve probably got enough stuff laying around the arts pile to get it taken care of.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, wemtd said:

Jay - if you don’t get it sorted let me know.  I’ve probably got enough stuff laying around the arts pile to get it taken care of.


Thanks. I will see if I can get the Braille I ordered to work.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...