What do you know, a forum where I may not be the only one with a Kent 1600 CF engine!

RichardSIA

Building a "Locost" 442 and trying to make it as traditional as practical.

Looked at a lot of engines and got an ear-full of advice to put in a Mazzzda or similar, preferably with all the complications such as turbo, FI, and VVT. :rolleyes:

When I found a complete Kent 1600 with twin Webers and transmission I did not hesitate and grabbed it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

About to put the engine on my test stand.

Have to find block side engine mounts and a thermostat housing.

Found a Birkin finned aluminum valve cover for it on feeBay.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by RichardSIA
Add pic.

58 minutes ago, locost7018 said:

I have a warmed over 1600 xflow in my locost. Set up by Curtis Farley (Of formula Ford fame) just before he retired.

Ok,

Did Farley have an opinion about the 1700 treatment?

I could try the 1300 pistons and 234 cam. which might even out to 1600 with the deeper pockets required. 

I do wish the forum had dedicated sub fourms for the various engines.  All the Xflow stuff could be in one place, if posters will put it there.  But reality is the mods end up having to move discussions around too much to keep it organized. 

We could be self policing.

Edited by IamScotticus

When Farley was in business there wasn't too much he couldn't do to a xflow. Depends on how deep your pockets were. But I hear he is down cruising the Caribbean in a sail boat now. Russ

• Like 1

Curtis rebuilt and upgraded my Crossflow.  Forged pistons, SCAT crank, and he did some head work.  I have the 244 cam and roller rockers.  As I remember it made 155hp on his dyno.  Still runs strong.  Wish he was still building engines, and agree that he’s likely down in the Caribbean sailing.

Steve

• Like 1

On 10/31/2023 at 9:28 PM, locost7018 said:

155hp????? Wow. I'm only getting 105 at the rear wheels. Russ

The 155 was on his dyno, not at the rear wheels.  But, it feels strong, and was a HUGE improvement from before the rebuild.  He didn’t change the cam, valves, or rockers, it had all those.  

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I have begun getting mine ready to test run before putting it into a car.

Got it mounted into my test stand and an exhaust fitted.

Pleasantly surprised to find that the head has been ported.

Found the missing module for my old Luminition on feeBay and bought it.

Still looking for a side entry distributor cap and rotor.

I will be rebuilding the Dellorto 40's.

No idea what cam is in this engine and hope it is not too radical as it is intended as a street car.

A step forward, a step back.  :banghead:
It seems the T9 I ordered via feeBay has gone "Missing in transit", AKA STOLEN! :classic_angry:
Seems to be the new normal, and a T9 is not the Hope Diamond, so just thuggery at play. 
Cannot order another until I get my refund, and of course prices are still going up.
So for now I only have the "Type E" 4-speed to work with.
Not certain how much has to be changed between them when I finally do have a T9.

Edited by RichardSIA