SSN For Shipments From The UK

Has anybody ordered a part from overseas and had to supply your SSN?  I just recently ordered a part from the UK and they're requesting my SSN for Fedex to ship to the US.  This is the first time I've run into this and I'm concerned with giving out my SSN.  Thoughts or experiences? 

39 minutes ago, 11Budlite said:

Has anybody ordered a part from overseas and had to supply your SSN?  I just recently ordered a part from the UK and they're requesting my SSN for Fedex to ship to the US.  This is the first time I've run into this and I'm concerned with giving out my SSN.  Thoughts or experiences? 

Call Fed Ex directly to figure out whether this is required or not.

Did a little searching here: http://www.fedex.com/gb/quick_help/lite/pagehelp.html

Specifically this, see highlighted line below.  Sounds like Fedex wants your SSN, I'm assuming to clear customs.  Really not comfortable with this.

To Address

Recipient name: Enter the recipient's first and last name. The recipient is the person that you are shipping this package to.

Company: Enter the recipient's company name. This field is mandatory if the company is the actual recipient.

Country/Territory: Use this drop-down menu to choose the recipient country/territory.

Address: Enter the recipient's address. This is the delivery address for shipment.

Phone Number: If there are problems with this shipment, FedEx may need to contact the recipient for advice on necessary actions to help minimize service delays.

Email Notifications: Enter the recipient’s email address to provide notification when FedEx has picked up the shipment, a proof of delivery when it's delivered, and a notification of problems with delivery.

Notification Language: Select a language other than English for your recipient’s notifications, if desired.

Tax ID Number: Enter this information if you have the recipient’s tax ID number as it may be necessary for clearance processing.

• For companies, the tax ID is the identification number such as GST/RFC/VAT/IN/EIN/EORI, or as locally required.
  • For private individuals, please enter the personal tax number or Social Security number of your recipient.

Note: You can get this information from your recipient.

I order a lot from the UK, in some cases they do ask for a Tax ID / SSN, there will be duty assessed on the import, I imagine its needed for that I use my company tax ID (even though I personally pay the duty) I would be less happy to provide my SSN for sure. Also, the application of duty seems very random, my gearbox was delivered with zero duty assessed but the suspension from a different supplier was charged import duty, in both cases it came via DHL and had a commercial invoice. 

21 minutes ago, Bartman said:

I order a lot from the UK, in some cases they do ask for a Tax ID / SSN, there will be duty assessed on the import, I imagine its needed for that I use my company tax ID (even though I personally pay the duty) I would be less happy to provide my SSN for sure. Also, the application of duty seems very random, my gearbox was delivered with zero duty assessed but the suspension from a different supplier was charged import duty, in both cases it came via DHL and had a commercial invoice. 

Thanks for sharing your previous experience Bartman.  I'm really hesitant to provide my SSN in an email.  It's for a part valued at appr $275.00 so I'm not sure what I'm going to do. 

Hi,

I am in the UK leaving for Heathrow tonight and coming back to the USA on Wednesday next week. If your items are not too large I'd be happy to have them shipped to my UK address (Camberly Surrey) and then bring them back for you. I can ship to you on my return. really no bother if I can get them in a suitcase....

Yes you have to declare SSN in the shipping documents unless you have a TFN of a company.  Fedex, DHL, UPS, Royal Mail are all the same.   They need some method to track down you for import taxes.    If you do not declare then they can reject the shipment.  

I have not found a way around the problem other than using a TFN on one of my LLCs.  

I regularly import things and so have to declare all the time even though I am a registered importer.  What happens with Fedex is they pay the duties on your behalf and then bill it back to you.  UPS will hold shipment as hostage and make you pay ASAP before continuing the shipment.  Your can have as little as 48 hours with UPS before they reject shipment.  Rejected shipment can mean they want you to pay back to origin shipping before they release goods.   DHL follows the Fedex approach.  

How big is the part?  Small package size usually gets no duties.  Big package gets caught every time.  

My limited experience feedback: I've ordered many things from UK so far from different vendors and never needed to give my SSN. 

Typically DHL is final delivery for me and they will contact you and hold your big package until duty is paid. Small packages no issues. 

26 minutes ago, Croc said:

How big is the part?  Small package size usually gets no duties.  Big package gets caught every time.  

It's a clear aeroscreen from Meteor Motorsports.  I wanted a clear one or I would have just gotten one from a Caterham dealer here in the US.

Edited by 11Budlite

Thats big enough to need a customs declaration.  US Government will want the forms to show your SSN.  You will be paying duties to Fedex.  At least they are civilized about the process - I prefer them over the alternatives.  

For Meteor, give Simon a call and provide your SSN by phone to put on the forms.  At least that way it is not being emailed around.  However, Fedex will scan the import forms and attach them in their database for electronic transmission to the US Customs folks.  So at some point they will be emailed around.  No avoiding it unless you find an importer willing to do it for you.  

I have ordered several item from the UK since becoming a Caterham owner, and never had to provide a SSN. And I have never paid duty either, even the time that something from Ukraine sat in customs for weeks!