Santa came a little early

fastg

Parts, gotta love parts. Will install over Xmas and dyno test in the spring. Should really liven up the engine. This package cost twice the amount I paid for the engine:) The engine is a Honda K24A2 out of a 2007 Acura TSX. 

Graham 

PXL_20211213_203545288[1].jpg

PXL_20211213_204033730[1].jpg

I am sitting at 209 rwbhp I am aiming for 220. The cams should allow it to make hp all the way up to the red line, so the improvements should be very useful. Because the dual lift cams I should pick up power everywhere, no loss of low end power. This is being mated to a new 6 speed box that should give me better ratios out of slower corners, so overall I am expecting big gains.  

Graham 

3 minutes ago, fastg said:

Because the dual lift cams I should pick up power everywhere, no loss of low end power

As someone who obsesses about trade-offs from various cam profile options, that's just not fair.  I'm looking to forward to hearing the results from both changes.

Thanks,

John

Dual lift inlet and exhaust, variable cam timing on inlet. Mapping is complex, you have a map for each lift level and cam timing. You have a low lift 0 degree timing and fuel map. low lift 10 degree timing and fuel, low lift 20 degree timing and fuel, and so on. Then the same for high lift. A LOT of maps, but they is one reason they run so well you can really tune the details. 

Graham  

Looking forward to going to an event with you and seeing how all of this works. I finally figured out how to get my windshield wipers to work without the big Lucas switch. Lots of directions on the web, most were not accurate. Have a great Christmas.

I was doing a little setup work for the cam swap, engine out, new 6 speed transmission in. I was inspecting the engine and the inlet valves/ports are amazingly clean, looks like they were just installed. 

Graham 361101143_PXL_20211107_1459435501.thumb.jpg.2722c9113b25e1f4669df847d6603855.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The cams, springs,  can chain and followers were installed. It only took about 3 1/2 hours.  We used a 'wack it with a hanger' valve keeper tool,  it worked perfectly much to our amazement. Forgot to buy a O ring for the front timing cover,  so once that arrived the engine should be ready to reinstall. 

Graham

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

We took out first test drive Saturday. Everything went perfectly apart from the speed display on the dash. The car is louder and definitely has an angrier disposition.  The new 6 speed shifts very smoothly, but has a slightly longer throw than the 5 speed. The speed display issue proves Murphy is a evil  bastard. I had removed the scuttle and disconnected all the wiring. The scuttle is one piece on a Locost so looking at the wiring is a neck twisting endeavor. But I could find nothing. So I changed my approach and started at the sensor end, Grrrrr, just were the cable goes around the upper control arm. All soldered back together and working perfectly now, but I will have to re-program the dash for a 6 speed trans. Well be booking a dyno session next week. 

Graham 1291028747_PXL_20220417_1416402991.thumb.jpg.3d3151797cbff2e1333250e22cab0bae.jpg 

Plz share the dyno results: It will be interesting to see how your  Honda engine compares to the current version of the Duratec used in the Caterham 420. Of course, every dyno is different but still its interesting.

Edited by Kitcat

• 2 weeks later...

When to Absolute Pro-formance yesterday, John the owner is a Honda guy, vast experience, many trophy's on the wall from drag racing. He spent 4 hours adjusting the car. 17 runs in all I think.  He started by giving the car a detailed inspection, most of the specials/engine swaps he sees a total train wrecks, but mine got a passing grade:) A little background, the K24 setup is complicated. There is a fuel and ignition map for each 10 degree of cam angle, 0-50 degrees. There there is a complete set for Vtec high lift and low lift, a lot of maps. He spent 1/2 hour just smoothing out the maps because they were all over the place.  Many runs, has to increase the fuel pressure as he were getting a little high on the injector duty cycle. We ended up a 225bhp, we did see a partial run at 227, the car was getting very heat soaked by the end, he is confident it would be 227-229 maybe touch 230 on a fresh run. But as you can see from my prior runs, more power everywhere, much smoother. Great torque curve, just starting to flatten off at the very top end. 

Lotus 7 Dyno Pulls.jpg

PXL_20220429_144355042[1].jpg

I guess there not big number, With a CNC ported head, Skunk2 inlet manifold, 90 mm throttle body, and Drag Cartel 4.4 cams 250-260 is the norm. I have the small port TSX head, the holy grail is the K20A2 large port head, with the same set 275 is the norm, all on a stock bottom end. 

You can guess what I am searching for:)

Graham 

I have not had the chance to drive it yet other than on and off the trailer. I will take it out over the weekend. It's going to Pittrace in about 3 weeks so that will be the first real test. 

Graham 

It's a ripper, much better midrange and it sings right up to the red line. I could tell on the later dyno runs, the front wheels were lifting while he was running thru the gears.  The new find power and the new 6 speed trans and going to make major improvements on corner exit. 

Graham 

Well Santa came a little early, but it looks like my winter project is already decided. The hold grail cylinder head for a K24 block is the large port K20A2 head off a Civic Type R or an Integra type S. I thought lets look in Craigslist, a trip to Reston VA and $200 secured a nice specimen. So I guess we are now on the hunt for 275bhp:)

Graham 

PXL_20220430_155009438[1].jpg

PXL_20220430_155015632[1].jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I did the track days at Pittrace, great facilty. Well it rowdy, everything work well, the motor just pulls to the red line and the 6 speed trans have turned it into a 3 (3,4,5) gear car rather than a 2 (3,4)gear car. Much better drive out of the corners in the lower 3rd gear. The only minor issue was a stutter when crossing the VTEC point at less that 100% throttle. I forgot to take the Hondata cable with be otherwise John from Absolute Pro-formance would have had me fix it at the track.  So it was a great event, played a little with brake balance, as I have too much forward bias. I rented a garage and was next to a couple of NASCAR's. Great guys, enjoyed there company, great fun, one was an ex-NFL lineman, his buddy says he has taken way to many blows to the head:) They were fast, just about the fastest cars in the Advanced group. But they were unbelievably loud, as soon as I heard a started turn is was finger in the ears and run out of the garage, I wish I had my shooting ear mufs with me. 

Graham