New Member with a “barn” find!

Rob J.

Good afternoon all. My father-in-law passed away last month and my wife drove down to his home to assess the property and begin the lengthy process of determining what’s what. They have some acreage and this beauty was sitting on the property! I have no details on the car outside of these pictures as I’ve yet to see it in person. My brother-in-law still lives on the property and claims that it did run at one time. Thought I’d post it up and see if anyone had any insight based on the pictures. It’s looking more and more like it’s going to find a new home in my garage and become a project for me! I’m beyond excited!

33576153-5FEE-4E61-9436-629B553CD76A.jpeg

0BB8853F-DECD-4BDD-B72E-4DE56966F65C.jpeg

63B97534-5F6E-41E2-8F5F-6244EAA79045.jpeg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to be a Caterham, based on the hood emblem and other details.

The small tree growing through the front bonnet opening suggests it’s been sitting a while! As does the faded paint.

The driver’s side exhaust means its a X-Flow engine or maybe a Zetec. The wheels were standard on Caterhams for a period of time.

This should be an interesting project!

Edited by Kitcat

16 minutes ago, Kitcat said:

The small tree growing through the front bonnet opening suggests it’s been sitting a while! As does the faded paint.

The driver’s side exhaust means its a X-Flow engine or maybe a Zetec. The wheels were standard on Caterhams for a period of time.

Agreed. Pretty neat as a find.

If I had to throw a stick at it, I'd say it's a 2004 SV Zetec. The blinkers on the fenders is the only thing leading me towards a later year rather than going into the 90s. 

Can't be too late 2000's due to the headlights still being 7in and mounted in the back of the nose cone. 

I think the wheels are a later year thing too.

It will certainly need some love but it seems to have good bones. 

Once you get us the VIN we get a lot of information out of that for you. 

Edited by Vovchandr

16 minutes ago, Kitcat said:

It’s definitely been sitting! We are estimating that it’s been there for around 15 years. The tree growing through the bonnet made me chuckle!

Definitely has the Caterham badges, but that great to know about the drivers-side exhaust. Once I get my eyes on it, I can get some much better pictures and details.

5 minutes ago, Vovchandr said:

Agreed. Pretty neat as a find.

If I had to throw a stick at it, I'd say it's a 2004 SV Zetec. The blinkers on the fenders is the only thing leading me towards a later year rather than going into the 90s. 

Can't be too late 2000's due to the headlights still being 7in and mounted in the back of the nose cone. 

It will certainly need some love but it seems to have good bones. 

Once you get us the VIN we get a lot of information out of that for you. 

Awesome info, thanks! We were thinking early 2000s as well based on the timeline of the family’s travels and moving history, so it sounds like we were on the right track.

It definitely needs some love, but I’m really excited to get it working again and back to its former glory. I wouldn’t mind modernizing it along the way too based on some of the newer models I’ve seen too. Heck, I’ve even seen some crazy LS swaps out there!

5 hours ago, Vovchandr said:

Thats a pretty accurate stick.  Definitely Caterham SV.  All the details match up.  Definitely zetec or SVT zetec as the exhaust is the super long one with the integrated cat converter.  Crossflows did not have that as they did not have to meet emissions.  The side wing repeater blinkers were always included in the US kits but they were a UK SVA requirement so most did not make it on a US build car as it is just one more thing to go wrong.  The wagon wheels were 2003-2005 area, maybe as late as 2006?   The rubber looks like sumitomos which were common replacements for Avon CR500s once the original set wore out.  

Thats a very worthy project and worth a fair bit even in this state.  Recommissioning something like this is lengthy - all engine and transmission fluids, suspension bushings, maybe the shocks, all new rubber, refurb brakes, replace all the hoses around the engine bay, test all the electrics and thats before you start the cosmetic stuff.  Buts its all straightforward, just lots of little jobs.  

Congratulations on this find!

21 hours ago, Croc said:

Thats a pretty accurate stick.  Definitely Caterham SV.  All the details match up.  Definitely zetec or SVT zetec as the exhaust is the super long one with the integrated cat converter.  Crossflows did not have that as they did not have to meet emissions.  The side wing repeater blinkers were always included in the US kits but they were a UK SVA requirement so most did not make it on a US build car as it is just one more thing to go wrong.  The wagon wheels were 2003-2005 area, maybe as late as 2006?   The rubber looks like sumitomos which were common replacements for Avon CR500s once the original set wore out.  

Thats a very worthy project and worth a fair bit even in this state.  Recommissioning something like this is lengthy - all engine and transmission fluids, suspension bushings, maybe the shocks, all new rubber, refurb brakes, replace all the hoses around the engine bay, test all the electrics and thats before you start the cosmetic stuff.  Buts its all straightforward, just lots of little jobs.  

Congratulations on this find!

Thanks so much! I'm really looking forward to getting my hands and eyes on it during our next trip down in a few weeks. I should be able to get some much better pictures, a VIN, etc. So hopefully we can really nail down the details.

I'm a car guy at heart, but I've never really done anything like this before. I've own plenty of modified cars over the years, but none would compare to something like this. I've tinkered, done basic wiring and installs, and some easy maintenance, but this is a whole new level for me. That excites me though because I'd love to learn how to do more so this is going to do me a lot of good. I actually wouldn't mind even doing something like a "resto-mod" (even though it's really not that old) and really giving it a modern look at some point. We'll see! 

I was trying to look around online to get a general estimate on value, but numbers seem to be all over the place. Without knowing anything about these cars, I'm kind of at a loss in that department. Any thoughts on a possible value? I know that's impossible to do accurately without going over it in detail - it's more for my own curiosity. 

40 minutes ago, Rob J. said:

Thanks so much! I'm really looking forward to getting my hands and eyes on it during our next trip down in a few weeks. I should be able to get some much better pictures, a VIN, etc. So hopefully we can really nail down the details.

I'm a car guy at heart, but I've never really done anything like this before. I've own plenty of modified cars over the years, but none would compare to something like this. I've tinkered, done basic wiring and installs, and some easy maintenance, but this is a whole new level for me. That excites me though because I'd love to learn how to do more so this is going to do me a lot of good. I actually wouldn't mind even doing something like a "resto-mod" (even though it's really not that old) and really giving it a modern look at some point. We'll see! 

I was trying to look around online to get a general estimate on value, but numbers seem to be all over the place. Without knowing anything about these cars, I'm kind of at a loss in that department. Any thoughts on a possible value? I know that's impossible to do accurately without going over it in detail - it's more for my own curiosity. 

It's a good question in regards to value. 

Napkin math would be good condition MSRP minus cost of all the parts needed to make it "good" again, minus downtime and labor needed to get it back to that position with another minor minus in value for the gremlins that are still unknown. 

With that said values to begin with have been all over the place with even 2000my Zetecs fetching around $40k on BAT in great condition and desired spec. 

Caterhams in general in any spec and condition tend to go above $20k and some other 7s slightly below that as bottom and completed Locost replicas in low to mid teens. Low volume means they are always in demand. 

Throwing another wild stick at it, as is it's value is likely about $20-25k barring no major mechanical, title or frame issues. As long as the frame isn't rotted through and the engine at least turns by hand and it has a title that would be a very good start. 

Once it runs, you clean it up, replace or paint the fenders (Carbon would be a good "resto mod" for modern look) and have it moving and sorted you're into $30s depending on true miles and rest of blemishes. For personal use I'd recommend sourcing 10 spoke 15in wheels or even 13s. I believe yours now are 16s? Maybe 15s?

My opinion of course. Many much more seasoned vets here that will chime in with their knowledge. 

13 minutes ago, Vovchandr said:

It's a good question in regards to value. 

Napkin math would be good condition MSRP minus cost of all the parts needed to make it "good" again, minus downtime and labor needed to get it back to that position with another minor minus in value for the gremlins that are still unknown. 

With that said values to begin with have been all over the place with even 2000my Zetecs fetching around $40k on BAT in great condition and desired spec. 

Caterhams in general in any spec and condition tend to go above $20k and some other 7s slightly below that as bottom and completed Locost replicas in low to mid teens. Low volume means they are always in demand. 

Throwing another wild stick at it, as is it's value is likely about $20-25k barring no major mechanical, title or frame issues. As long as the frame isn't rotted through and the engine at least turns by hand and it has a title that would be a very good start. 

Once it runs, you clean it up, replace or paint the fenders (Carbon would be a good "resto mod" for modern look) and have it moving and sorted you're into $30s depending on true miles and rest of blemishes. For personal use I'd recommend sourcing 10 spoke 15in wheels or even 13s. I believe yours now are 16s? Maybe 15s?

My opinion of course. Many much more seasoned vets here that will chime in with their knowledge. 

Oh wow - I was not even in the ballpark. I was thinking somewhere closer to maybe $5k in its current condition since it's been sitting out in the elements for so long. As another member noticed, there's even a small tree working its way up through the bonnet! It does look to be in reasonable condition given the circumstances so I'm anxious to get it back to my garage and really assess it for rust and damage. I'm cautiously optimistic that it'll run again without a TON of work, but like I said - it's a first for me.

And if all else fails, I can drop a new motor in it and start from scratch if I have to. I'm really in no hurry and really looking forward to the process of getting this beauty back on the street! 

32 minutes ago, Rob J. said:

Oh wow - I was not even in the ballpark. I was thinking somewhere closer to maybe $5k in its current condition since it's been sitting out in the elements for so long. As another member noticed, there's even a small tree working its way up through the bonnet! It does look to be in reasonable condition given the circumstances so I'm anxious to get it back to my garage and really assess it for rust and damage. I'm cautiously optimistic that it'll run again without a TON of work, but like I said - it's a first for me.

And if all else fails, I can drop a new motor in it and start from scratch if I have to. I'm really in no hurry and really looking forward to the process of getting this beauty back on the street! 

Hah! For that value I'd be ready to offer you to double your money by this weekend no questions asked without knowing where you are in the states :classic_biggrin:

One of the greatest parts about these cars is that at the end of the day they are a "kit car" where every part is replaceable, available and it can be assembled by average Joe. Caterham parts can be somewhat hard to deal with so I suggest reaching out to Chris Minecroft(sp?) at Redline. He's to my knowledge biggest second hand supplier of Caterham parts and has been very easy to work with. He often has parts that Caterham might not have in stock. 

Ideally the frame isn't rotted and it would make everything else rather direct and easy. Hopefully aluminum body panels aren't oxydised and the engine turns. If the tonneau cover was open for a while the interior could use a little love. Leather seats likely suffered and the floor likely held water. 

Looking forward to getting updated to it's current condition once you get out to see it. 

VovchanDr 

How much consideration should be factored for geography as you alluded to? I suspect the car will have more cosmetic UV paint wear sitting in the Colorado high plains or new mexico vs. effects of the Maine woods, or humid gulf coast conditions... And that isn't factoring in possible road salt exposure in the norther half of the country. 

This looks like the start of an exciting & interesting rebuild.

9 hours ago, wemtd said:

VovchanDr 

How much consideration should be factored for geography as you alluded to? I suspect the car will have more cosmetic UV paint wear sitting in the Colorado high plains or new mexico vs. effects of the Maine woods, or humid gulf coast conditions... And that isn't factoring in possible road salt exposure in the norther half of the country. 

This looks like the start of an exciting & interesting rebuild.

For me it wouldn't be a factor for a right price. Especially on a car that doesn't get driven in the winter (salt) and otherwise just sitting in the snow isn't any different than sitting in the rain (no salt if it doesn't get driven, just moisture). Main paint looks pretty good, fenders are easily replaceable and carbon doesn't need paint ;) Car overall can be repainted pretty cheap since it has so few panels especially once rear fenders are off. 

I agree, I'm looking forward to following this along. It's unusual to come across a 7 like this (Copart one is interesting as well)

I wouldn't jump to repaint unless absolutely necessary. Much can be accomplished by giving it to a good detailer. I purchased a classic that had paint that looked like asphalt. Wet sanded and buffed and came out great. By no means perfect but it looked great from 5-10 ft 

IMG_20180429_203301_037.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/4/2022 at 7:42 PM, Rob J. said:

Have you made the trip?

15 minutes ago, mrmustang said:

If he did not before the last week, I suspect the car may be buried under 10-16" of snow given it's location.

Bill S.

You got it! We had everything lined up to make the pick up on Saturday, but 8"-10" of snow came down the night before. Considering the location and the back roads that need to be taken to get there, we decided it just wasn't safe. Unfortunately, my father (who had borrowed a really nice trailer from a coworker) is having surgery, so we're probably looking closer to March for a pick up. :classic_sad:

On 1/3/2022 at 3:23 PM, Rob J. said:

Heck, I’ve even seen some crazy LS swaps out there!

Please don't.   12,000 Lbs car doesn't need that to be fun.

And definitely not on a chassis of doubtful integrity. 

If you do have an Xflow,  KEEP IT.

43 minutes ago, Rob J. said:

(who had borrowed a really nice trailer from a coworker) 

Im sorry to troll here, just trying to help based on experience.

Expect this car to to be 13 ft long,  6 ft wide,  and the bell housing and maybe the oil pan to be 2" off the ground.  Don't expect it to roll easily,  don't expect to be able to air up the tires.

There is only one way for you,

a dropping tilt trailer, preferably with an electric winch.

Soft straps through the lower A arms, not the frame cross member  you will bend your frame.

Investing now in the right equipment for a proper recovery will prevent expensive damage. 

This is a minimum.   Dont try a UHaul car trailer.  DONT.

https://www.sunbeltrentals.com/equipment/detail/1411/0241035/16ftdeck-tandem-axle-trailer-10k/

Edited by IamScotticus

22 minutes ago, IamScotticus said:

Please don't.   12,000 Lbs car doesn't need that to be fun.

And definitely not on a chassis of doubtful integrity. 

If you do have an Xflow,  KEEP IT.

Right now, I’m just hoping the engine will turn.  I’ve never even been in one, so I don’t know what to expect in terms of power, although I know it’s super light. It’s also worth mentioning that my primary car, although not driven much, is a hellcat. So, I do at least have an outlet for my speed addiction.