Jump to content

New Member with a “barn” find!


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, IamScotticus said:

This is what a U-Haul car trailer will do to your 7.

Both sides, and thats not the half of what I did to my cat. 

 

20210419_210528.jpg

Yikes, that's bad! Now I know to definitely arrange for a proper trailer or transport. Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, IamScotticus said:

This is what a U-Haul car trailer will do to your 7.

Both sides, and thats not the half of what I did to my cat. 

 

20210419_210528.jpg

 

Yikes indeed. I used a uhaul for my original pickup and didn't have any issues.

 

results may vary

 

IMG_20180616_103444.jpg

Edited by Vovchandr
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, IamScotticus said:

I drove mine up, snagged the muffler which ripped off the fender.  And gouged both sides.

 

I do remember it being very tight with the ramp. I think we took nose cone off and used wooden planks to help the nose going onto it.

 

Again, not ideal but can do in a pinch if you're careful.* (not sure if all Uhaul trailers are the same either)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Vovchandr said:

 

I do remember it being very tight with the ramp. I think we took nose cone off and used wooden planks to help the nose going onto it.

 

Again, not ideal but can do in a pinch if you're careful.* (not sure if all Uhaul trailers are the same either)

Thanks! It's helpful to know what others have run into so I can avoid some of these issues up front.  In the meantime, I did get my hands on the VIN. I was hoping someone could help me decode it! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Rob J. said:

Thanks! It's helpful to know what others have run into so I can avoid some of these issues up front.  In the meantime, I did get my hands on the VIN. I was hoping someone could help me decode it! 

 

Gladly. Post it up and @Croc is the resident VIN cracker but I can dig up the reference as well

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Rob J. said:

Here you go! SDKLDK5NS50050457 @Vovchandr @Croc

 

SDK - Caterham as manufacturer

L - left hand drive

D - DeDion generation

K - Kit built

5 - SV if I recall

NS - Engine not supplied (standard for US cats)

5 - 2005 model year

0050457 - manufacturer number

 

@Croc sounds about right?

Edited by Vovchandr
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very sorry to see this damage @IamScotticus; I have twice used a UHaul trailer to load my 420R (with 15" tires), it was very tight going on. I am not sure it would work with 13 inch tires. The first time I needed pieces of wood to help with the angle; we pushed the car on so we could move it very slowly. After the first time, I bought a cheap set ramps that I used to lengthen the UHaul ramps.

 

Keep in mind, Uhaul will not rent you a trailer if you say you are towing a Caterham because the Caterham is not in their system. I rented a trailer to locally tow a Miata, drove the trailer home for a test fit. Then returned the trailer and rented it again a few days later to drive it to another state. Finally, there are two versions of the Uhaul trailer, so a test fit is a good idea.

Jim

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, kayentaskier said:

Very sorry to see this damage @IamScotticus; I have twice used a UHaul trailer to load my 420R (with 15" tires), it was very tight going on. I am not sure it would work with 13 inch tires. 

I did it to myself.

I used a UHaul when I picked it up from seller without an engine  exhaust & transmission, or me in it therefore it rode much higher and cleared.   So next time I needed to trailer it, it was all built up and I assumed I could do it again.   Wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Well, she made it home. I ended up having to pay a tow/recovery service after finding out that the brakes are locked up. Either way, it’s in its new home in my garage. I’m making a list of things I know I’ll need and Josh at RMC is going to help me source some things. 
 

First question - anyone know where I can get a center cap lock key?! 

67629D23-822F-419F-A011-E078F13A22D4.jpeg

42AD0B22-29C7-4E85-9734-BEC8CD86C456.jpeg

D97E6FA7-71AE-41D6-B5A1-1452E9790271.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Given it sat outside for 15 years and even had a "tree" growing through the bonnet, the car looks in remarkably good shape. Any signs yet that rodents attacked the wiring?

 

-John

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, JohnCh said:

Given it sat outside for 15 years and even had a "tree" growing through the bonnet, the car looks in remarkably good shape. Any signs yet that rodents attacked the wiring?

 

-John

Surprisingly no! It did have a small nest inside the rear area under the tonneau, but that was it. Given the circumstances, it actually looks really good. It needs a lot of work, but it could definitely be a lot worse! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, TMRL7 said:

I would be so excited to have this project to work on.   Good luck!

I’m super excited, but admittedly don’t know much about restoring something that’s been sitting for so long. I’ve always been into modifying cars, but this is totally new. There’s a huge learning curve, but I’m up for it. I think my FIL would have been happy to see someone bring this beauty back to life. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...