Intake manifold, Weber 40's on Cross flow

Vinman1

Hope all are doing well. I need to get an intake manifold for a Cross Flow w/ twin Weber 40's. Burton has several with various lengths and they advised to take measurements, however, engine is still at re-builders. From photos, my guess is the shortest (3.1") one that Burton offers? Any inputs / advise is greatly appreciated.

Vin

mine measures about 3"

are there different heights, as well?  my front air cleaner is 1/2-3/4" above the top frame rail

the Burton pic looks like mine

you could also check with pierce manifolds--on the west coast--they are weber folks

Charlie

Edited by 7Westfield

1600 or 1700 cc? I have a Supersprint. The length is critical because the total length of the intake from the valve to the end of the trumpets controls the RPM at which the resonance enhances torque/horsepower.

Anker

7Westfield, Burton does not specify the height or offset. Not sure if Westfield chassis is same dimensions my Arch. Will check with Pierce, thanks!

Anker, engine is a 1600 with a .030 overbore. I agree the longer runners are better for power, just not sure of how far the air cleaner will stick out. Most photos it looks like the rear air cleaner barely sticks out the cutout in the hood. Tony Weales rebuild restoration book says the manifold is a custom part made for Lotus / Caterham. I wish I had thought of setting the bare block in the chassis before I sent it to the re-builder. Both he and I want to run in the engine on his test stand, so I need  the intake to do so.

Vin

22 minutes ago, Vinman1 said:

Burton does not specify the height or offset.

Actually they do.  Look at the second photo for each option and it shows a diagram marking the length, height and angle, then those three measurements are included in the Details tab.

image.thumb.png.6111fb56a0c93edc4bb0938a22eee738.png

-John

• 2 weeks later...

All,

Burton got back to me on the intake and recommended the 3.1" intake (their part #IM4242A). Ken Gray at Dave Bean has been a big help, I don't think they are closing, and hope not.

Vin

Have the Weber 40's that were in the boxes of parts that came with the car. Sent to Jim Inglese, 8 stack systems for rebuild. He has been great to work with. Looking for 10 or 10.5: 1 forged pistons now... 

IamScotticus,

Ken at Dave Bean has been a big help. One of the first orders for the car was all the missing front end parts (ball joints, trunnions, caliper plates, calipers, pads, bearings, races, and both of Beans catalogs. He has a wealth of knowledge, and is willing to share it.

Cheers,

Vin

Scott,

I found instructions on a Spitfire site, that you turn them up all the way, then turn down the minimum amount that will allow for full steering radius. Also, do not grease them, Use 90W gear oil. I got mine from Ken at D Beans, and they came with oil plugs to use instead of grease fittings.

Cheers,

Vin

A month ago I would have thought all of this talk of trunnions was somehow related to a fish those in S. Ca. might be familiar with, but I've been reading a book on the Elan that @JohnCh recommended and have a little bit of education now.  The use of 90W is mentioned a number of times as it seems many came to the conclusion that grease would be better only to find out otherwise.

lots of fun debate on the grease v oil in the trunnion debate on lotuselan.net... I find myself in the grease camp, but don't think you can really go wrong if you're checking/maintaining regularly