Photo Request: Caterham Wiper Motor

Ferrino

Is there someone with a LHD Caterham chassis (preferably an imperial S3), who has a pic of their wiper motor assembly installed, please? A shot from above with the scuttle removed would be ideal, but even a glimpse from underneath would be useful. Many thanks!

My car isn't in my shop now, but it is an imperial S3 (1999). I will be able to get a picture of the motor installed without the scuttle when it gets back. Here is a picture of the top of the motor. Can I answer any questions about it for you? I have had it in and out without removing the scuttle and with the scuttle off. Much easier to do with the scuttle off. The two bolts that clamp the motor are very difficult to get off without removing the scuttle. I have had a very difficult time figuring out the wiring. I did not want the standard Caterham wiring and switch.460414918_WiperMotor.thumb.jpg.b251f0392ce10f850a292e06851b3c6a.jpg 

Thanks so much for the pic! I'm restoring a LHD S3 and have never had a 7 with wipers before. My new LHD wiper assembly came with a straight tube emerging from the motor, so I was looking to see how I should bend the tube (between the motor and the first spindle).

I'm putting together a custom dash/wiring and am also looking to replace the ugly factory switch-gear for the wiper/washer. What I ended up with is a single rotary switch, which I think should operate the 2-speed Caterham wipers. Bonus is that a push of the button operates the wipers. It is a 10 amp rated switch, which I plan to power with a single relay. I think that 10A is sufficient for the Caterham wiper/washer. According to my notes, the washers will only work when one of the 2 speeds is in operation - I can live with that. And no intermittent wipe function: just slow or fast.

The rotary switch I bought is a Cole Hersee 75226, which is spec'd for a dual wiper setup. I can't remember how I ended up choosing this, as it was months ago, but I did come up with a wiring scheme which I think should work with the Caterham wipers and a single relay. When I've mounted my wipers, I will try it and report back! I don't even have holes in my scuttle for the wiper spindles to poke through. I ended up contacting Arch Motors in the UK and they sent me a scanned hand-sketched drawing of where to make the holes - how awesome is that!

spacer.png

Oh, and yes, the knob which comes with the switch is ugly as sin. So I picked up a pretty cool knurled knob which looks like this, to replace it:

spacer.png

Edited by Ferrino

I am not re-installing my washer, but I am hooking up the two speed wipers. I wanted a toggle switch, and it is hard to find an off-on-on switch.  Most switches are on-off-on. This switch isn't in their regular catalog, but they have itCorrect wiring.docxCorrect wiring.docx: Cole Hersee 55093-BX. Attached is some wiring information for you. The Lucas switch that is used in MGs and other British cars is not strait forward. I am also including some general information and pictures of parts you will need and might not know about. The wiper motor is held in by a strap. The motor needs to be isolated from the car. The black pad is the stock part. The little round thing that is cut on an angle goes on the wiper arm shaft. Each wiper has two. They hold the wiper arm at the correct angle to the windshield. One goes on top and one on the bottom.     

image.png

Wiper Systems.pdf

Thanks. I have all the hardware to install the motor and arms: I just wasn't clear on how/where to bend the tube.

Why do you prefer not to reinstall the washer? I have never used wipers in a 7 before: are the washers just not useful at all? If that's the case, it will save me some wiring/plumbing to go without!

If you prefer the toggle switch to a rotary, why don't you just use the 35927 Lucas off-on-on switch described? It seems to be readily available and be hooked up directly to the wiper motor (though I'd prefer to have wiper current going through a relay). Maybe I'm missing something, but you just need an ign-switched power supply (with an appropriate fuse) and then connect it to the wiper motor plug.

Edited by Ferrino

I can get you some underneath shots later.

I remember that its just clamp the motor to the bracket on the right side with the arm spindles aligned in their scuttle holes.

Toggle lever switches do tend to get  broken often.

One thing I would like some suggestions about is for a substitute for the Caterham supplied washer bottle.   Its HUGE!  it takes up too much room.  I want much smaller.

OP, see PM.

I want to get tags on my car, and I have to have wipers and a windshield to get tags. My car is mainly used for autocross and track events, and I have a short carbon wind deflector. My other fun car is a R-56 MINI. It has toggle switches separated by U shaped loops that I think look good. Caterham used the same look on one of their models and I wanted to duplicate it.  The wiper motor only pulls a few amps. Mine is fused at 10 amps but 5 would be enough. The Lucas switch has a black long handle and doesn't match my other witches. It is also wide and would not fit how I want to mount all the switches. Look at the connections and witch connections ate connected in the different switch positions. When the switch is in the off position there are still connections to the wiper motor. Here is a wiring diagram that works if you do not have the Lusas switch. Correct wiring.docx 

Got it - my other fun car is an R53 and I understand the switches you're referring to. I actually reached out to SVC and they recommend a 25 amp fuse for the Lucas 14W wiper motor. I think that's a bit high, but if you read this post, you'll see evidence of high currents being drawn, which I would not want running through a switch, but rather a relay.

Correct - at rest, the wiper motor still receives a +12V supply. Like I said, I prefer the wiring scheme which uses a crossover relay.

• 2 weeks later...