Exhaust system for Cross flow

Vinman1

Hope everyone is good. Looking for a 4 into one exhaust system for a 1979 Seven with a cross flow engine. Caterham has the kit, however, the silencer is not available and they won't sell a partial kit. Figured I would look on this side of the pond before I ordered in pieces from them.

Cheers,

Vin

I see Cat 160 mufflers on clearance at Catetham parts.

I estimate the tube size to be very close to the 1.75 XFlow.

I took a chance on one as I needed a side exhaust.  I haven't received it yet.

Edited by IamScotticus

Iamscotticus,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for the delay, took the wife to Florida for her B'day. I will check part out and keep that in mind. Other option is to fab one, perfed pipe in a pipe, might be all I need...

Cheers,

Vin

I am also wanting a 4>1 but for std 1.75" as I don't plan on increasing capacity.  Ill increase compression b4 I do that.

I think the Cat kits are 2"?

I have a 2" muffler (no,I don't want to sell it, yet).  If my 160 can works out I might.

I could get a 4>1 2" kit but I thinks the tune would be all off for 1600.  Good for 1700-2000cc.

Tell me if Im wrong.

4>1 looks cooler coming out the side, LOL

Ground clearing is always an issue and 2" cans are bigger.

IamScotticus,

The cat kit is for a 1600 cross flow per there description. I will check to make sure no issues. Also waiting on pics of one a member has for sale. Need exhaust to run in engine on test stand, however, hold up now is finding forged 10 or 10.5:1 pistons. Best wishes on your project

Vin

Charlie,

It is a 711M block. I have a set of Ford NOS .030 cast pistons that came in the boxes of parts with the car. Have a Scat forged crank and Kent performance cam kit. Thinking forged pistons and rods make sense, upgraded valves, and a set of roller rockers. Trying to determine how far to go with the engine for road and occasional track use. 

Vin

15 minutes ago, Vinman1 said:

Charlie,

It is a 711M block. I have a set of Ford NOS .030 cast pistons that came in the boxes of parts with the car. Have a Scat forged crank and Kent performance cam kit. Thinking forged pistons and rods make sense, upgraded valves, and a set of roller rockers. Trying to determine how far to go with the engine for road and occasional track use. 

Vin

Vin,

Thats a really nice package there!

What can is that?

I would love to 234 my 1600 but I would need deeper cut pistons.

One thing I would ask is, are hardened valve seats necessary?  If I were doing this job, I would not do valve seats and use a lead substitute instead.

Have heard seats falling out.  Is this something you are considering?

Vin - when I had my Crossflow rebuilt by Curtis Farley (now retired), he recommended that I replace my stock crank with a SCAT crank used in FF engines.  I did, and have more peace of mind around 7k.  I already had the 244 cam and a head with port work and larger valves.  Added forged pistons and the crank.  It’s been great, and still strong.

Steve

Steve,

The mechanic I bought the engine from gave me a great article from back in the day on how to build an FF engine and have been following that, which sounds like what you have. As stated, I have the forged SCAT crank and cam kit. Trying to decide on pistons. What is the compression ratio of the forged pistons in yours? I can only find 11.9 or 12:1, and am thinking that may be an issue? Thanks for all the inputs.

Vin

Vin - Sorry, I didn’t do a very good job reading your post, and missed that you already have the SCAT crank.

I also have roller rockers.

The C/R is 9.91, but the only info Curtis gave me is that he got the pistons from Burtons in the UK.  Don’t have any specifics.  I would think that around 12 would be way too much for pump gas.  I think the Crossflow in my Mallock is 12.5, and I use 110 race gas with it.

Where are you on the Cape?  My aunt had a house in Chatham where I spent several summers.

Steve