Looking to purchase first Seven - advice on Westfield

Hi folks.

Became a member just now as these places of learning need support!

There are so many flavors of 7's out there which is really pretty cool being able to find a car that scratches a particular itch.

From true Lotus cars to Miata powered Westfields to Rotus 7's I have not seen such a variety while still being the same car.

I am getting old and more analog by the day and cars that appeal to me are back to basics and pure.  I lean toward momentum cars that pay dividends to the driver that can be smooth and consistent.  I have too often seen folks out on the track that are good at mashing the throttle on the straights and eating brakes and tires in the turns.

I have become smitten with a pre-litigation Westfield that is far from modern being fitted with a 1275 BMC-a engine and a silver seal 4 speed transmission.

I know that BMC kept the "a" series in production for ages so I will assume with some reasonable care and feeding this should be a fine powerplant for this vehicle.

What should I be looking out for here as I am so out of my depth with anything vintage British it is scary and the fact I am potentially doubling down on an "assembled" car in the Westfield I am looking for some advice.

Please feel free to call me a fool or perhaps share some sage advice so I can find my way here.

thanks

Dave

There are lots of options, including the pre-lit Westfield. All of the X-flow powered Caterhams and Birkins fit the  bill of simple, momentum type se7ens. The newer ones can be incredibly powerful.

Ideally, you are either mechanically inclined, or have an old school mechanic nearby. While simple (crude?), these cars seem to need a lot of extra TLC, so that should be factored into your purchase decision.

Happy hunting!

3 hours ago, Kitcat said:

There are lots of options, including the pre-lit Westfield. All of the X-flow powered Caterhams and Birkins fit the  bill of simple, momentum type se7ens. The newer ones can be incredibly powerful.

Ideally, you are either mechanically inclined, or have an old school mechanic nearby. While simple (crude?), these cars seem to need a lot of extra TLC, so that should be factored into your purchase decision.

Happy hunting!

I am actually mechanically inclined and that is part of the allure of this vintage / powerplant combo.

Any specific concerns of the Westfield kits of this early vintage (circa 1985) kits to be on the lookout for?

Like you said - simple and a bit crude but that is part of the charm.

thanks

Dave

I will let more knowledgeable folks than me chime in.

Personally, I am an admirer of the pre-lit Westfields.

A typical first question, even before: has your wife blessed this, is will you fit?

I think the pre-lit Westfields are similar to the original Lotus 7, which means that it’s not a given that you will fit if you are much over 5’10”. Caterham offered the “long cockpit” version starting in the mid 90’s(i think), and it offers 2” more leg room. Shoe size is critical too. I wear a 8&1/2 and cant drive in running shoes, i need  a driver’s shoe. But where there is a will....

Your mechanical skills will help. For many, thats a big part of the enjoyment of a se7en.

I can't add much to what Kitcat wrote above.  Interior space should be the same as the early Lotus as these were near exact replicas (and hence the reason there was litigation).  The only things I'd add is that as with any se7en that age, try to look closely at the frame to make sure there are no surprises. 

Westfield still uses the A-series engine in the Westfield XI, so there is always a chance that some parts you may need are still produced for that implementation.  Of course, Murphy's Law states they will only still produce the parts you don't need, but that's for another thread.  BTW a great resource for Westfields is the WSCC forum.  Huge knowledge base and likely some good pre-lit information there.

-John 

Thanks for the thoughts.

I am 5'9" and about 30" inseam and 174lbs so while not good for pro basketball I should likely fit the car.  I have a Morgan 3 wheeler that is also a snug cockpit so I get the issues.  You wear these cars don't you?

Wife has blessed it and is a supporter of unique cars even as she drives her Model 3 performance to work every day.  I think it is some sort of automotive yin/yang in her head that she is embracing the technology and I am becoming a luddite.

The car is located in the Northeast and I am lining up Sports Car Services in Keene, NH to do a thorough pre purchase inspection.  Mike Spring the service manager seemed to be a good guy and is certainly knowledgeable in regards to the BMC-a motors and what to look for.   I want to enlist a neutral third party with nothing invested here in the sale to give it a clean bill of health.  It won't be cheap but it may be the best $400-500 I have ever spent if it is a no go on this car.

The hunt is exciting as you all know - just need to figure out how to get a reasonable price shipping from New Hampshire to Portland OR.

:o)

Dave

Drive it back:)!

Members here have done crazier things(NJ to Juneau  Alaska comes to mind:)). Just kidding, the car that went to Alaska was well sorted.

You should fit perfectly.

The Morgan is a pretty good approximation of the se7en experience.

Edited by Kitcat

I have a very early pre-lit Westfield with the Sprite/Midget running gear. I am 6’ and around 190# and I fit well into the drivers seat.

My car uses the front suspension uprights, hubs and brakes, steering rack, engine, gearbox, prop shaft, and rear axle assembly.   

The mechanical parts are available since they come from a car with a suspension and running gear that was mostly unchanged for a dozen or more years. Engine parts are readily available and other than a lawnmower it couldn’t be simpler to work on. I would recommend the Midget section of mgexp.com for information and resources on the running gear.

The only drawback is the transmission’s lack of synchros on the first gear — selecting it should only be done while stopped. However, the A-Series is a long-stroke engine and produces enough torque at the lower end of the rev range that is really isn’t a problem. Just be aware of it the first time you drive the car.