Seven to test fit in New England?

280Racer

I'm in the process of looking for a Seven to purchase.  I've sat in a Stalker and Dare (both hopeless) and a Birkin S3 (a bit tight but not bad).  I'd like to try on a Caterham,  or any other replica that might be available in New England.  I'm in Southeastern New Hampshire near the coast.  Shouldn't take long and I can be very flexible on timing.

Thanks in advance!

I’m located just north of Boston and have a caterham s3. If you’re finding the stalker and dare to be a bit small you may want to find someone with a caterham SV though. In any case I’m away this weekend but will be around the following weekend if you still wanted to check it out (Feb 5-6).

Anyone interested in initiating a database that indicates cockpit width ( probably at some fixed height from floor) and pedal area width?

Both easy to measure and a great guide for prospective buyers of the huge varieties of 7s. I know my size 9 racing shoes are a tight fit in my 1959 series 1 and my 5' 10"  150 lb size is close to the limit (but I have an internal roll cage with dual side bars that almost all other 7s do not, but only cushions for seating). Also, roll bar height from the seat might be of use for those who do not want their head (helmet) too high.

Great idea,  if it helps,  for both the Stalker and the Dare,  it wasn't seat width or pedal box dimensions,  it was the the steering wheel hitting my legs.  I literally could not use the pedals because I couldn't move my legs.  Also in the case of the Dare,  the top of the windshield surround was so thick it effected my vision.  Lastly,  the roll bar height (or the seat pan depth) would have to change as my head poked out above the bar.

The Birkin S3 on the other hand,  was very different,  even with the pedal adjustment at it's closest I found I could work the pedals.  Admittedly the pedal box was narrow but manageable,  even with my size 14 (yet narrow) feet.  I can't be certain but I suspect the steering wheel was somewhat closer to the driver (it was a removeable wheel which could have some bearing on reach) on the Birkin than the Stalker and the Dare.  I don't think the steering wheel was smaller but that's a possibility.  I think the database would be very useful but I also believe it could get quite complicated.  There are a lot of factors to the fit.  To me,  thus far,  for someone of my dimensions (6'1", 34" inseam,  long arms,  size 14 feet) the Birkin,  so far,  is the clear winner,  at least for the S3 variants.

10 hours ago, Horseless-carriage said:

I’m located just north of Boston and have a caterham s3. If you’re finding the stalker and dare to be a bit small you may want to find someone with a caterham SV though. In any case I’m away this weekend but will be around the following weekend if you still wanted to check it out (Feb 5-6).

I would be very interested in trying on your S3.  I'm actually confident I'd fit in an SV (or any of the other "plus size" variants) so at the moment I'm most interested in the standard sizes so I know which models I should pursue.  Thanks,  I'll ping you in a week or so  (unless I've already bought something!).

I am in Stow, MA and have an S3. It is on jackstands right now, but you can sit in it. The problem is that I am going to spend the month of February in Florida, so it will be 5 weeks minimum before we can arrange it.

32 minutes ago, John B said:

I have an SV in New Jersey you're welcome to try in if you're ever down this way. Incidentally, I'm 6'3, 220 lbs and fit fine.

Might be down that way end of February  but then again,  I might have one by then.

58 minutes ago, Anker said:

I am in Stow, MA and have an S3. It is on jackstands right now, but you can sit in it. The problem is that I am going to spend the month of February in Florida, so it will be 5 weeks minimum before we can arrange it.

Thanks,  I'll keep it in mind,  sure is close and would make a quick trip!

22 hours ago, Mr Mark said:

I'm in Bath Maine, about a hundred miles from you...I have a 68, c'mon up...

Thanks!  I'll keep it in mind.  Looks like I'll be heading south with hopes of getting a Birkin so it may all be a moot point.  I'll let you know if I want to come up though.  Thanks again!

2 hours ago, wemtd said:

Did you try on the narrow body or wide body Birkin?

Original,  narrow bodied S3.  I plan to give it a more thorough try in the next week or two,  with driving shoes this time.

3 hours ago, Mark IV said:

We have a customer just north of Bennington, VT. that has an SV with dropped floors that you can try on.

Thanks,  I'll let you know.  It'll probably be a couple of weeks before I would want to check it out.  I'm going to take more careful look at the Birkin S3 with driving shoes this time to make sure it will work.

I have the narrow body Birkin and it's certainly a snug, yet comfortable, fit (Especially with 40cm wide Tillett). The newer wide-body "relaxed fit jeans" model is definitely worth looking into if you have a larger shoe size.  Off hand don't think there are any in New England but it's worth sending a message to Tom Carlin. 

I'm in Portland Maine and have a 1993 HPC Caterham. It's inside and available most any time for a fitting. Come on up.  Mr. Mark, join me at Cumberland Motor Club Autocross in Brunswick at the old airbase, most every month this summer. It would be fun to have someone else to play with.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/cumberlandmotorclub/permalink/10151405926509943/

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the kind offers.  I'm in the process of buying a Birkin S3.  Driving shoes solved the bigfoot issue.  I'll have a little work to do to resolve height issues but nothing difficult.  Thanks again!