How do you answer the inevitable daily question "What is it?"

Vovchandr

The wordy answer that it's a "continuation of a Lotus 7" assumes they know what Lotus is to begin with and just saying "it's a Caterham" or the like just leaves curious minds more puzzled. 

I've seemed to have settled on telling people that it's an old British roadster

I wish I had a dollar for every cell phone snapping pics!

One of the things one has to be prepared for is the amount of attention you get.  I almost got to the point of irritability.

When I get going again, I will make a bumper sticker,"WARNING  Ask you doctor if you're healthy enough for Lotus 7"  and print out leaflets with a picture and description, and John Donahue's phone number. 😁

Edited by IamScotticus

I tell people factory-built cars are available in other countries, but the only way to get one legally in the US is in component form. I try to avoid the term kit car since many people still associate that term with the old VW-based kits which then leads to the question "So it's a Beetle?" :banghead:

As for queries on price, my default response is "more than my wife thinks." That usually stops the conversation, particularly when she is standing next to me. ;)

-John

For the price I typically just refer to the range of them saying "anywhere from $40k to $100k depending on the model". I don't have any reservations having that as an answer. 

I do agree that answering yes to a "kit car" question leads minds to go in the wrong direction as to what it's actually is. I typically say "no, it's dealer bought"

I've had a few weird exchanges on this at a gas station:

Them: Hey, that's a cool car. What is it?

Me: Thanks, It's a Caterham; UK car. 

Them: "Oh Nice, a 'Catermaran' ? I've never seen one before. 

Me: :classic_blink:, Ok. 

As far as price, i usually provide a broad range and typically that's the end of it. 

I was filling up my Locost at a gas station one day. My car is a pain to fill up. You have to be on your knees and have the gas filler half way out or it automatically shuts off. So I have to concentrate to fill it up. I hear this voice behind m saying "Boy, I bet you get great gas mileage?" I said "Not the way I drive". Then I turned my head towards the voice. And it was a local city cop. OOPS!!!!!!

I just tell them that I built it myself (essentially true). When they ask me how fast, I just say "faster than me". When the question of price comes up, I just say that I haven't added up the 2" stack of receipts. 

One time I was gassing up and a couple of construction workers came over to start asking questions. One of them said "I bet the ladies really dig that thing". I said "It's more like 6 year old boys, if you're into that".

spacer.png