New member, preparing to take the plunge, VW engine?

New member here from Southeast Michigan, where the roads really are abysmal.  Ever since I grew out of the childhood Corvette phase I've wanted a Lotus 7.  Here's what I have so far:

1466043460_Caterhambonnetremoved.thumb.JPG.712f081dc033c0b53cac1f6178863205.JPGIMG-0399-reduced.thumb.jpg.051139f80f978f28d5032debd8358537.jpg

As my friends and wife have commented, I've been talking about it for a while, it's time to make it happen.

I've settled on a Birkin 7.

Problem is, I need to get rid of my 1987 VW GTI 16V trackday/autocross car.  Thing is, that 16V engine runs great, even more so after I converted it to full sequential electronic fuel injection with coil on plug.  Probably 150ish hp in that car at 2300lbs (including me and some gas) makes me happy driving it.  Should be even better in a car which weighs 1000lbs less.... Yes, it's an "old" engine, but still quite good with oil piston squirters, sodium filled exhaust valves, completely rebuilt many years ago to SCCA Improved Touring spec.  16-Valve_Engine_Gets_More_Power_at_Lower_rpm.pdf

There is a bell housing to put a VW engine in a RWD application.
https://www.rwdmotorsport.com/product/vw-audi-1-8-litre-to-ford-type-9-bellhousing/

This would put the exhaust out the right, and in stock form, intake also out the right.  (Which could be "fixed" with individual throttle bodies but then I need to re-tune the alpha-n map.)

What's the concensus, is it a terrible idea to put a VW engine in a Birkin 7?  Or is this feasible?

Anything is possible, reasonable? If we are talking about "reasonable" you are not talking about a 7. The first thing that comes to mind is, will it need to be emission inspected.

Feasible, it's only time effort and imagination needed, oh and a few dollars.

Coffee Break is right, your first issue is getting a titles in MI and work backwards. Some states for example require a single donor, and you get the emissions requirements from the donor. Is using a VW 1.8 possible, yes absolutely. But your going to need a custom bell housing, and I guess a custom oil pan, custom motor mounts...... and a T9. Plus your removing the engine from your GTI so lowering it's resale value. The Birkin is designed around the Ford engines. I would bet the a 2.5 motor out of a Focus and the trans out of a NC or latter Miata would work out cheaper. You would also improve the resale value of the Birkin. But sometimes the fun way is not a cheapest way. 

Graham 

Michigan has no regular emissions inspection.  Gotta love the auto capital of the world!  Good point about the initial inspection and registration.

I'm not terribly worried about "lowering" the value of my GTI.  Used race cars go for pennies on the dollar, even more so when it can't be sold with the engine control unit....  A lot of loving care went into rebuilding that 16V engine years ago, and it pulls hard past 7000rpm, with plenty of good mid-range torque.  An engine out of a Focus won't compare.

The engine height is mainly what I was concerned about.

Depending on how much time you have, you might want to consider building a Seven Vs swaping in a VW engine into a Brikin.  I believe Dave Watkins still has one Rush chassis for sale in Ann Arbor. 

David Watkins   britkitcars@att.net         

http:/britkitscars.com     Ann Arbor   734-222-9702

The only down side is that it would probably take a year to build Vs a month for a engine swap, to be on the road.

You are probably better off $$$$, to just buying a Seven that already has 150 HP.

I suspect fitting the engine under the bonnet with the stock intake will be tough.  I have a 2.5L Duratec on an engine stand right now and could provide a measurement for comparison.  Those engines "just" fit. 

Are you considering new or used?  If used, you could be looking at either a Zetec or Duratec, if new, then Duratec is now the standard configuration.

How much of the desire to keep the VW engine is driven by emotional attachment vs. the fact you like the characteristics of that engine?  When it's emotional attachment, logic tends to go out the window, which is understandable and often all that's needed to justify a decision.  However, if it's the nature of the engine, I wouldn't sell a modified Zetec or Duratec short.  Given the money and headaches you would save doing the conversion, you could upgrade the Zetec/Duratec and have something with a lot more power that you may like nearly as much.  

-John

• Like 1

Better to let the GTI go with engine  probably to another racer or street freak.  You can price the upgrades into the deal. 

You will always regret offing the VW, you just have to commit to it and not be holding on.

And there's this this point, what if you decide the 7 isn't your thing?