Rear ended by F150 in San Diego

Hey, Folks.  Last Friday a guy (insured) hit the back of my Birkin 7 in the fuel filler area , Shoving it sideways & denting / tearing the aluminum.  Rear skin is ruined + the RR wheel arch is now nearly touching the back of tire.   Yeah, it's a bummer.    I got an estimate from a shop (I have Hagerty) but the shop is not, specifically, a Lotus or Aluminum Fabrication kind of place.  But they do some great hotrod / vintage / custom work. 

My question is:  Do you think that a highly-skilled , but not Seven-Knowledgeable regular body shop to do this kind of repair? It will need a new rear skin fabbed & installed.  Maybe even some rear frame work. 

Thanks in advance.  Perry.  

Sorry you had to go through this Perry.  You didn't mention the fuel tank, perhaps the truck was tall enough that the damage is above where the thank sits?

Pokey--- Once the Luggage Tub & Diffuser are removed then a full assessment of damage will be possible.   But yes, the fuel filler neck & cap will likely have to be replaced, at the very least.   All this will take awhile as work scheduling & insurance stuff has to happen.   

Upside:   Here in San Diego we don't really have a "driving season" ------------- It's 300+ days a year of roadster weather, so I'm not on a limited timeframe.

Thanks., Man. 

Here's pics. Sorry, My posting / Computer skills are similar to an opossum's.  I apologize.   Rear skin is dented & torn. Plus the gap between the trailing edge of RR fender has gotten very close to the tire. But the side flank of the car, and the fender itself, appear straight.  

That's what's up with the poor girl :classic_sad:  Thx, Guys.  

Lotus Damage 1.jpg

Lotus Damage 2.png

If your damage is skin only, a good paint less dent repair man can get this very close to straight and once tears filled, and painted, you might be able to live with it.

take off the boot cover and show the top tube and inside of that area.  put a straight edge across the rear top basket tube and side to find bends. 

Is the fender (wing) damaged?

Edited by IamScotticus

That should not be that big a problem to re-create that panel. Every Locost owner has to make the exact same panel from scratch, and most of them to a good job. For a skilled show it should be no problem. 

Graham 

Thanks, Guys.   Graham, I hope you are correct.  The shop that I'm using IS a quality operation. Plenty of high-end hotrods, low riders, & Kustoms get done there.  Aluminum is not their usual material but the guys appear to know their craft very well.  The insurance claims stuff is plugging along.

Side note: I have a Graham car.  A 1932 Graham Blue Streak.    It's pretty gangster. 

IamScotticus --------- Seats: This embroidered Birkin logo does not appear to be a feature added after manufacture.  I think that they ARE Birkin-made items, or sourced, bespoke, to order, from an unknown supplier, by Birkin.    

Graham------ Here's a pic of my Graham, Just for fun.  & thank you for the panel-making photos.  

wemtd ------ Thanks for the offer., but I was already contemplating an improved filler cap/neck as part of this fix. As well as a few other enhancements, paid out of pocket unless they are the same, or less, cost than factory replacements.   

Graham.png

Seat.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, some of those dent dudes can do great work with mashed steel. 

But with this thin Aluminum skin dented, stretched, and torn, it's beyond Paintless Dent Guy level damage.  Also, there is good insurance involved so no reason to do less than a totally legit repair.  Including proper paintwork.   

I'll post what happens here.   Although it may take some time, of course.    Thanks, Guys!  :classic_cool:

• 2 months later...

Update!   The rear of the car was beautifully re-skinned by Dustin & his crew at AG Sandcars in Santee/El Cajon (619) 449-8308.  A high-end sand rail / dune buggy builder. They know aluminum body fabrication and tube frame construction very well.  They created a perfect new aluminum panel that extends Seam-To-Seam, from the joint right above each coil-over shock.   And the curve at the top bar is flawless.  I'm very pleased.   Yes, Sand Cars are NOT sportscars, but their skillset translates to our Sevens very well. 

Also, it appears that there was no frame damage.  :classic_biggrin: 

I then took the car around the corner to Elite Collision where Adrian & his guys executed a perfect paint match.   Now she's back at AG for final reassembly.   

Side note: Dustin completed the aluminum work within a week of receiving the car.  Paint was 10 days but I told them "no hurry" because they are a busy shop. 

Birkin flank.jpeg

Birkin rear inside pic.jpeg

• Like 6