meet up - Western NC / North GA / East TN

jimmylukeii

Austin David (near Charleston) and I (near Atlanta) have recently completed our builds.  We are chomping at the bit to get a good group drive together.  

Please PM me or respond to the thread if you are interested in a group drive around the Western North Carolina area in mid-October 2022.  That is during the dry season, just before the crowds arrive for the changing leaves.  It's also the time of year for glorious weather - not too hot, not too cold.

We could make this as grand or as simple as the group wants.  Between Austin, me, and hopefully some of you, we should have a good familiarity with the area.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Franklin, NC -> Highlands, NC: ~ 35 mins / 20 mi
  • Cherohala Skyway: Tellico Plains, TN -> Robbinsville, NC: ~ 1.5 hrs / 52 mi
  • Deal's Gap: ? 30 mins / 12 mi

Sounds like we could meet up at one end night before, putt around a day, overnight on the other end, head home?  I think both endpoints are ~4 hours from either Atlanta or Charleston, fortunately sort of in the middle.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Austin David said:
  • Franklin, NC -> Highlands, NC: ~ 35 mins / 20 mi
  • Cherohala Skyway: Tellico Plains, TN -> Robbinsville, NC: ~ 1.5 hrs / 52 mi
  • Deal's Gap: ? 30 mins / 12 mi

Sounds like we could meet up at one end night before, putt around a day, overnight on the other end, head home?  I think both endpoints are ~4 hours from either Atlanta or Charleston, fortunately sort of in the middle.  

I think this would be fun. Depending on family schedule/timing, I would be interested.

Keep me posted, please.  I'm taking mine to WVa for the Lotus Owners Group gathering in September and then have a S Texas trip in early October so might be more than I can pull off, but would love to join if I can.

Henry (Wilmington NC)

• Like 1

we'll definitely post plans and an itinerary.  would be great to meet you if we can make it happen.

Here's a similar ride the local (to me) Bri'ish car club made last year: https://www.britishcarclubcharleston.com/TailOfTheDragon.php -- basically a day out, 2 days around the mountains, and a day back.

Looking at maps, I think that's a fairly sensible route; especially if we include cherohala skyway and highlands (which are about 2-3 hours apart).  

I was kinda thinking of using one lodging for the trip as a "home base", to leave behind luggage and doors and whatnot, but that might lead to a few round trips and more calendar time.

If we did end-to-end (carry your doors):

• start at highlands, NC;
  • drive 1.5hrs via Franklin to Robbinsville, break / fuel / lunch
  • From there up to Tallassee via Deal's Gap and back (1.5 hrs) to Robbinsville
  • then out Cherohala (~ 2 hrs). 
  • Overnight around Tellico Plains.

A shorter option:

• Robbinsville -> Tallassee -> Robbinsville -> Tellico Plains -> Robbinsville

~ 185 mi, <5h.  

Open to suggestions.  It's not lost on me that BRP is striking distance, for those of us to the east (if you wiggle the map and squint and obscure facts when discussing this with one's spouse). 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've spent considerable amount of time in western NC where my parents used to live in Banner Elk and my brother and sister-in-law still live in Valle Crucis, just outside of Boone, NC.  I've ridden many of the local roads in that area on a motorcycle that are little traveled and unless you need to check the box , get the t shirt or buy the bumpersticker, I'd stay away from the traffic jam that Deals Gap and the other "famous" ones have become.  I rode the stretch from Linville to Blowing Rock one day and didn't see another vehicle the whole way.  One man's opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

UglyFast - Are you waiting on a kit delivery or looking for one to buy?  I'll have to "man up" to drive my Stalker from Texas to Western North Carolina.  Maybe in the Fall.  I did do an "Iron Butt" from Fort Worth to Banner Elk, NC on a BMW GS some years ago but... that was few years ago.  With children and grandchildren at least 9 hours East of here I've started looking at the trailer option for long hauls.  I know, I know, even I used to make fun of guys trailering their Harleys as I passed them on my bike with "Ride it or sell it!"  Age will do that.

• Like 1

Lol iron butt!  

I had an update just a while ago. My car is being built bit is still currently waiting on a Sierra diff at the factory.

Not really sure when I'll get it, but I'm thinking it's coming just in time to pack away for winter.

Next spring, though... 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

30 minutes ago, UglyFast said:

Lol iron butt!  

I had an update just a while ago. My car is being built bit is still currently waiting on a Sierra diff at the factory.

Not really sure when I'll get it, but I'm thinking it's coming just in time to pack away for winter.

Next spring, though... 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

That's encouraging news about your car!  My Iron Butt (1000 miles minimum in 24 hours with documentation) of 1120-ish miles took just over 18.  I didn't ride it for 2 days after I got there.  It was as close as I've ever come to a case of terminal "monkey butt". 

• 8 months later...

@UglyFastand I met up for a donut this morning in Charleston.  He's expecting to have a license plate "any day now" and is sort of on my way up to BRP & Deal's Gap.  We gotta get a trip in later this Spring or early Summer!  I got a highschooler graduating in May, I think I can sneak a few days away before then, or maybe early June, or later in the summer.

• Like 1

I'm looking to get a Westfield very soon and hope to be able to join you from the East Tennessee side (Townsend). Please keep me informed too!

• Like 1

Still a ways out, but Cherokee forecast looks like 40-50% rain overnight Friday night, sunny by midday Saturday and upper 60s/70 Saturday and Sunday.  I'm going to think about trailering up Friday afternoon/evening for some drives Saturday afternoon and Sunday.  Anyone interested if the weather holds?