7 Owners in the Bay Area / San Jose?

hahuang65

@Vovchandrcan you explain why you'd option the sequential? One of my biggest challenges is deciding between the 5-speed and the sequential.

I've never had the opportunity to experience a true sequential, but one of my fears is getting a sequential and missing the 5-speed, even though it sounds like a sequential is just all upside, from a performance standpoint.

3 minutes ago, hahuang65 said:

This might be possible! When do you need to know? 

No need to notify me at all. Rather I would need to notify you if I end up registering and attending that day, so you would know if it's worth showing up. If I do go, all you need to do it find me there and I will give you a ride.  

2 minutes ago, hahuang65 said:

@Vovchandrcan you explain why you'd option the sequential? One of my biggest challenges is deciding between the 5-speed and the sequential.

I've never had the opportunity to experience a true sequential, but one of my fears is getting a sequential and missing the 5-speed, even though it sounds like a sequential is just all upside, from a performance standpoint.

Optioning a sequential on a 420R is not a simple matter - definitely will be some faffing/DIY to get it done (above and beyond the normal amount in a 7 build). If you really want a sequential, unless you're willing to tackle a project, I'd just get a 620R (factory build of course). A sequential is very hardcore, what most (other than 7 nutjobs like us) would consider a track-only option in a car. I would highly recommend against it for a solely street driven car unless you are a real nutter. Coming from a bmw and a subaru, I don't know if you realize how raw and aggressive even a rather tame 7 is.  You certainly don't need to have a sequential for it to be exciting.

7 minutes ago, KnifeySpoony said:

Optioning a sequential on a 420R is not a simple matter - definitely will be some faffing/DIY to get it done (above and beyond the normal amount in a 7 build). If you really want a sequential, unless you're willing to tackle a project, I'd just get a 620R (factory build of course). A sequential is very hardcore, what most (other than 7 nutjobs like us) would consider a track-only option in a car. I would highly recommend against it for a solely street driven car unless you are a real nutter. Coming from a bmw and a subaru, I don't know if you realize how raw and aggressive even a rather tame 7 is.  You certainly don't need to have a sequential for it to be exciting.

I was leaning away from the sequential actually. My first question to Rich Kamp was "Can I get the 620R with the 5-speed?", but everyone seems to really like the sequential, maybe specifically on the 620R. I'm trying to understand why.

It now seems to me that the 420 is the way to go, but I'm left wondering, if I did spring for the 620, would it just be a terrible experience compared since I'll be street driving it 90% of the time? Is it going to be a "first gear only" affair, unless I'm on the track/highway? Is it just the nature of the car to be somewhat undrive-able on the street... or would a person driving reservedly be able to have as much fun in a 620 vs a 420 on the street? In short, I'm wondering if the 620 is a "you can't use this much power on the street, but it's still just as fun as a 420 to drive" or "this car is just going to be less fun than a 420 on a street"?

28 minutes ago, hahuang65 said:

I think we are coming to the question of 7 from different angles. 

There are many different 7 that fill many different niches. I wanted something as much of a driving experience as possible to match my bikes and I've got that with an aero 7 and a sequential. It's a theater driving the car everywhere and a big part of that experience is the rawness of the sequential and how obnoxiously loud and a handful it is. I have the much older quaife and it's a bit of a different beast than the new one. 

With that said I also drive it about as often as I ride a bike, which is infrequent. It's hard to put more than 100 miles on it without feeling fatigued especially in the hot weather. It's a chore to get in and out and strap yourself in every at every stop. Grocery shopping while occasionally done is less than optimal. It's certainly not a daily like the STI is. 

It is a motorcycle replacement for me in my configuration but that also means it's an infrequent use case car. 

I should also add that the gearing on my 6 speed is absolutely perfect. Somewhat tall first and short/close gears to each other after that. 

6th is 1:1 and I run out of gearing at about 120mph

Edit: changed 5 to 6

Edited by Vovchandr

7 minutes ago, Vovchandr said:

It is a motorcycle replacement for me in my configuration but that also means it's an infrequent use case car.

Thanks, that's helpful in context. I can see why'd you'd go for a sequential.

19 hours ago, hahuang65 said:

@sltousthat's good to know. I know that the R500 sits somewhere between the 420 and the 620 performance-wise... but I'm unfamiliar with what your car is. Is it aftermarket modded, or did you buy it as a Cosworth Duratec? 

Did you get it originally thru Rich?

I missed Loma Mar Store and I'm not sure what that is, but I would LOVE to talk to you more about your car as well!

I'm in the same boat with my current car, I have a 2019 WRX STI, and I really don't even get close to using it at full potential on the street. The 620 and probably even the 420 are going to be much more car than I (or anyone) really needs... but there's just that itch to get the best possible, you know what I mean?

My car was swapped by the previous owner as recorded in this thread.  I believe at a rated 260hp, along with the R500 engine this is the among the most powerful naturally aspirated engines that fit in an S3 ( @KnifeySpoony I would love be terrified to do a ride along with you driving it, I'm a pretty slow driver compared to the car, at best I've managed ~2:16 at Sonoma) and Van did a nice job on the initial conversion, some fettling but nothing major has gone wrong. Van considered the Quaife sequential conversion and decided against it and I think I agree with his decision.  It is a surprisingly tractable car with the 6 speed manual box, no issues driving in town, I suspect the sequential would be good fun but I don't miss it.  Rich has helped me do a pre-track inspection and provided guidance for my maintenance when needed, it was a big confidence boost going into my first track day that Rich was just up the road.   

If I were to do it again I am not sure I would have gone for the "best" engine since there will always be a faster car and many faster drivers on track and the Cosworth begs to rev out on the street in 3rd and 4th gear but I'll be arrested if I do.

3 hours ago, KnifeySpoony said:

oh I might also be at Sonoma 10/6 if you can make that (a thursday)

I will be at Sonoma 10/6 if nothing breaks before then but I am still in the novice group and cannot give you a ride on the track.  @hahuang65we can hit a local road over the lunch break assuming I'm not doing any maintenance.

Edited by sltous

46 minutes ago, sltous said:

My car was swapped by the previous owner as recorded in this thread.  I believe at a rated 260hp, along with the R500 engine this is the among the most powerful naturally aspirated engines that fit in an S3 ( @KnifeySpoony I would love be terrified to do a ride along with you driving it, I'm a pretty slow driver compared to the car, at best I've managed ~2:16 at Sonoma)

If I make it to 10/6, you're welcome to ride along to see what a 1:45 pace feels like.

6 hours ago, JohnCh said:

If someone hired me to choose your car based on everything you've written thus far plus my own experience over the past 20 years of se7en ownership with power levels ranging from 120hp-225hp and having driven cars with 265hp and 275hp, I'd order you a 420R with the swappable windscreen/aeroscreen option.  You'd have the Miata 5-speed, plenty of power (0-60mph is claimed under 4 seconds), it's easy to drive around town and is still a weapon on track. More power is also available down the road.  RB or ITBs reportedly add about 10hp, and if you open up the engine, changing rods, pistons, cams, plus head work or a head swap can increase that by an additional 20-40hp. 

I don't always agree with John (although he does have good taste in booze and dogs) and on this I agree with him 110%.  

Its harder to learn to drive a higher hp car than it is the lower hp car.  I know a certain owner on this forum with both a 200hp Caterham and a 275hp Caterham.  He is faster lapping on track with the 200hp Caterham - counterintuitive but very common.  Start with the 420R, option it right and then once you have got your driving skills sorted in a few years then go for a Duratec upgrade that gets you up to around 260hp say.  Depending on the circuit you can then do lap times in GT3RS territory.   

I'd also take up that option of a ride with @KnifeySpoony   You need to see what a Caterham can do in the right hands.  I guarantee you will be surprised.  

Pardon my interruption, but I thought I’d chime in (create account just to respond here lol)

Great post OP first of all, I was going to create an identical post such as this a year ago when I talked to Rich for an hour about buying a 7. Long story short I would require financing to purchase, I have a kid, they axed the Sigmas which is what I wanted (could afford) so backburnered the idea.

I definitely want to own a 7 before 2035 for FOMO on owning a gas burner here in the (for the most part) great state of California.

As I did my monthly checkup of the Caterham UK website, I saw the Super 7 2000 and it reignited my flame. And I just paid off my Triumph motorcycle so… Maybe? And that LightStream financing showed 6% financing for me…and the £ is down…

So I am in the same boat as OP. I have 6 pack for anyone that will let me sit in their 7, ogle it for a while, smell the “inside” lol

I am also South Bay, Mountain View so the North Bay is quite the haul for me unless it came with a 1:45 lap time 😬

I’ve seen that “older” green yellow red seat 7 here in MV on El Camino maybe a year ago now.

I also saw a new 7 on P4ge M1LL rd, (don’t blow up the spot spelling) it was black and pretty stealthy looking, I threw myself out of my girlfriends Honda Accord window at him and it kinda freaked him out as he slowed too but ultimately passed (aren’t you guys used to people jumping out into traffic to look at your 7!?) I’ve never really seen one in person otherwise.

So I want a 7. Waiting for Caterham to sign up with a sub 2L Mazda Skyactiv or similar if they are even looking for sub 2L any more. Of course (if I could $wing it) I would entertain a 360 and pretty sure I could ease into a 420. I have no real interest in a 620, I prefer pedal to the metal, preserving momentum… living lmao.

Welp I look forward to meeting you all some day! Hopefully in a 7!

Kyle

Edited by GalloIgnacio
  • Like 1

OK I registered for the 10/6 Sonoma day, so I can give a ride if you want. That goes for you too Gallognacio, either 10/6 or 10/15. Typically I'm trying for PR in first couple AM sessions with better track conditions, then after that I'm happy to give rides. 

• Like 1

@GalloIgnacioGlad I was able to somewhat help with my post!

Congratulations on paying off the motorcycle!

Just wanted to point out that while CA is banning ICE in 2035, Rich Kamp from Kampena Motors mentioned to me that the UK (where Caterham are exported from) is banning in 2030, and he wouldn't be surprised if their lineup changed drastically before then. So you might not have until 2035. Also, I think if cost is a concern... the British pound is currently at an all-time low... Might be a great time to buy for value.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2022 at 8:15 PM, hahuang65 said:

@TheDingo8MyBabythanks for the response. I actually drive thru Willow Glen daily, so I may take you up on your offer if only to just chat and meet a fellow enthusiast. I understand your car won't be representative of what I'm looking for, but I'll bet you still have a lot of useful knowledge that might be helpful to me as I make my decision!

Was there any specific reason you recommend Rocky Mountain Caterham over our "local-ish" Kampena Motors?

Happy to help however I can. 

I know Josh at RMC and have bought parts from him before. I've also bought parts from Rich Kamp and Bruce Beachman as well and haven't had any issues. I suggest you research and speak to each dealer to see who you're most comfortable working with.  I was only noting that Josh has a customer in San Jose that I've never met.

Great discussion in this thread. My 1963 Lotus Seven Street Car (120 horsepower) and heavily heat-cycled treaded race tires will lap Sonoma at 1:59 with an unskilled driver (myself), for reference. Another point of reference was most pre-1990 911's I was running with were 2:05+.

Edited by TheDingo8MyBaby
  • Like 2

I could always just buy a Miata (again) And I’m currently 1st in line for my neighbors super clean 2000 Subaru 2.5RS but that 2030 UK thing really lights a fire under me arse as they say over there lol.

If I had to bet I would say 1.6L range 7’s are long gone. They will continue with 2L as their “base models” and will introduce an electric or two. I couldn’t imagine them signing a contract for 1000’s of small displacement engines to produce another Sigma replacement with only 7 years left.

My Smart electric lease and Egolf were a blast to drive I hate to say it. I hope at least Caterham can pull a Kawasaki Ninja Electric move by incorporating a clutch and gears onto an electric power plant to maintain some level of nostalgia. 

Edited by GalloIgnacio

On 9/26/2022 at 6:38 PM, GalloIgnacio said:

I also saw a new 7 on P4ge M1LL rd, (don’t blow up the spot spelling) it was black and pretty stealthy looking, I threw myself out of my girlfriends Honda Accord window at him and it kinda freaked him out as he slowed too but ultimately passed (aren’t you guys used to people jumping out into traffic to look at your 7!?) I’ve never really seen one in person otherwise.

Almost certainly me.  Black early 2000s car with white racing stripes and I live close enough to be on page mill semi regularly.

If you don't make it to 10/6 at Sonoma I will most likely also be at the Golden Gate Lotus Club Casual Drive on 10/8 leaving from Konditorei on Alpine Road in Portola Valley at 9am.