New Jersey out does California? !

https://www.thedrive.com/news/diesel-ram-owner-forced-to-scrap-truck-over-deleted-emissions-equipment?utm_term=The Drive_Wire_09.14.22&utm_campaign=The Drive_Wire_Actives_Dynamic&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email

In most states, they stay hands off if you modify a vehicle years after it is yours.  Apparently not so in NJ.  Even if you promise not to drive on public roads.  We have our share of bad  (coal rolling) pickups, but not as many as before.  Still...

Not really any different than the people who tried to skate the 25 year old federal import rule.

Once you get caught you either get it out of the country or it gets impounded and crushed.

Its interesting they won't let him keep it as offroad vehicle however.

If he really wanted to be the "clever" guy as he seems like the type, he would revert it back to stock, just to revert it back to non stock after again.

He must not have sought or followed sound, legal advice. Those are the rules in NJ. Imho, to avoid the penalty for offering it for sale, he could have reinstalled the parts removed and had it inspected. Then if the equipment was there but it didn't pass, he'd should be off the hook for the penalty and in the same boat as any vehicle failing to meet emission requirements (i.e., pay so much to repair at that point (not to reinstall equipment) then get a pass to register that year).

Getting rid of it by destruction, giving it away to someone out of state, or moving doesn't change that they appear to have him just for offering it for sale (up to $5000 penalty). To avoid the penalty, he must comply. Failure to comply and his actions since the prelim notice will likely have an impact on the actual penalty amount. This is about offering it for sale. I refuse to enter NJ for a number of reasons. Now I have one more.

This was predictable.  Just to do an engine change the regs do require a state inspection following to confirm it continues to meet roadworthiness and emissions.  Obviously they are trying to trap non-like-for-like changes but they trap everything.   Most people do not disclose the engine change and travel below the radar.  

Most of the problem in NJ is the regs on matters like this are not fully published for all to read.  The inspection and emissions process is partly outsourced to a private company and so some of the information is considered proprietary and kept private.  How do they then expect you to avoid getting yourself into trouble?  No idea. 

That said, this guy could have handled it much better than he did.  

Still does not excuse what I consider to be an over-taxed, overly intrusive and draconian state.  As soon as I retire I will be moving out of NJ.  Sooner if I can do it.