1993 Caterham For Sale

tvacc

1993 Caterham, long cockpit, Dedion, Built by me.

Jay Ivey ¾ race crossflow Ford. When built dynoed at 149HP. Dry Sumped, Oil thermostat so oil is always at correct temp. Car is “over oil cooled” so that is necessary. Miles?  I honestly don’t remember as I write this but I will look.

5 speed. I have a dipstick on top of the gear box so you can easily check the level.

Hydraulic clutch. Adapted from a slave cylinder for a VW. It has to pull, not push.

Brake light switch is modified so that it comes on when you touch the pedal as the “pressure” switch takes too much pressure to operate and when I first built  the car sometimes when I lightly touched the brakes….no brake lights!

High brakelight on rear of full cage. 

Side impact bars.

Has yellow nose on it now, green nose included.

Rear fenders are held on by plastic bolts so that if you hit something, the rear fenders just tear off and not bend the aluminum.

Limited Slip diff.

Leda shocks. (Cost over 2K)  Corner balanced. Car handles great. I easily out handle much higher HP cars on the twisty roads.  When I went to Summit Point for the Sevens at the Summit back in 2002, I easily came up the higher HP cars in the turns, but they would catch me at the end of the straight. Top speed is about 117 MPH with the windshield on.

Two fuel cells. (cost over $2500 for both when I got them) Both at about 7 gal. Switch between the two on the dash. They have not been checked in 12 years. While not leaking, the bladders should be pulled and the tanks sent to Harmon Racing Cells for new bladders. Cost is about $1000 per cell.

High power headlights and just have to be seen to be believed. I had to directly bolt wire the lights to the prongs because when I installed them (many years ago) it melted the connectors. They are bright!  There is wiring already installed for the Super Oscars I had on the car back in the early 2000s. I had a small mounting bumper for the Oscars. Wow! You should have seen the light when I lit all of them up!

6 point harnesses

Leather seats

Removable steering wheel

Luggage rack.

Oil pressure warning light that sits right over your head in your line of sight.

Prisoner Wheels with tires starting to age out.  I have $1200 worth of Bridgestone RE71s (4 rear 205/50/15 and 2 front 195/50/15 on special order) that will go on in the spring. Available if price is right.

Full weather gear and tonneau (remember, no doors!)

No doors due to the side due to the side impact bars but I do have half doors.

Aluminum honeycomb protection around the bottom fuel cell.

I have lots of cool things, like active deer whistle (it really works). A power connector for things like GPS and Phones.  A Blinder laser warning system.  Works fantastic and the best there is. Also set up for Valentine 1. Self cancelling turn signals. ( unusual on a Caterham).  Oil temp gauge as well as oil pressure gauge.  Dual fuel tanks can be checked by a switch on the dash but the gauges for fuel are not that accurate. I keep track of the miles. You get about 120 to 130 miles per tank. I usually run the top tank dry, switch to the bottom tank and then start looking for gas after about 60 miles running on that.

I am sure I am missing stuff but I have done so much to the car over the past 30 years, I have forgot lots.

Is this a stock Caterham…well no. But it is one of the most well known Caterhams in the country, (at least it used to be when I drove it everywhere) Modified by a guy that knows what he is doing and made the car for HIMSELF.

For the right price, lots of extras, race roll bar, extra fuel cell, I think a regular extra tank, extra parts motor, Maybe two of them, and extra 4 speed or is it a 5 speed tranny (don’t remember and I cannot lift them to check) about 10 oil filters, maybe more. Extra set of the original wheels with brand new tires. (Came on a Caterham from the UK) I am sure I have extra brake pads, and lots of extra misc. stuff. A whole basement full to be honest.

I need someone who wants THIS car. If mods bother you, don’t buy this car. This is a car I would have no problem in jumping into this afternoon and drive across the country. I have driven this car all over the northeast and central USA.  Only let me down a few times. Once then I hit a set or railroad tracks on the way to a LOONY breakfast in Geneseo and put a hole in the pan, (no longer an issue with the dry sump and the car only lost a quart of oil by the time I got breakfast where someone noticed I was leaving a pool of oil on the ground) and the other time is when the pressure plate imploded, Again on the way back from a LOONY breakfast, also I think from Geneseo. Oh..sure I ran out of gas a few times until I got the second cell, but that is because I drove the darn car everywhere and would get lost

One thing that does not go with the car are my Vaccaro wind wings.  Too much liability.

35K with none of the extras, Price negotiable, Extras negotiable..

Pictures are old as the car is sitting on my trailer ready to be taken to heated winter storage. I can get new pictures for anyone interested. Car is the same.

P1000025_jpg.jpg

P1000368_jpg.jpg

P1000380_jpg.jpg

P1000388_jpg.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

This car is currently in my shop for storage. It i not concours, it not a trailer queen. It IS a great driving Seven that cannot be duplicated for twice the price. Don't snooze on this. And it has some very interesting history, such as Bob Dance, Jim Clark's mechanic riding shotgun to a LOG in it.

• Thanks 1

They are Cibie lenses.  H4 bulbs. I bought most of my stuff at Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

But that was many many years ago and a quick search showed me there are lots of places to buy stuff now.

As I recall I put in 130/100 bulbs.  I installed relays on the dash switches with the power (all fused) for the lights coming right from the battery using 12 gauge wire for the power and 10 gauge for the grounds.  On my first run in about 20 minutes my lights went out. When I got back home, I had melted the connectors on the back of the bulbs.  

So I bolted the wires directly to the prongs on the bulbs.

Been this way for years with no issues.

And yes, I did lots of night driving all over the northeast and central USA.

When I hit those lights, the "dark" goes away!

As to the post above from MarkIV.  I was the chair and President of the club for Lotus Ltd Lotus Owners Gathering 33 at Watkins Glen in 2013.   We brought Bob Dance, Team Lotus Chief Mechanic for Jimmy /Clark, Graham Hill, Mario Andretti, Aryton Senna in for the week.  When he arrived at my house to drive down to the Glen I had my car all packed up, cooler in passenger footwell, snacks in passenger seat etc etc.  They were drving to the Glen in a Jaguar XJ12 provided by one of the LOONYs.  When Bob saw my 7, he asked if he could ride with me.  I said "SURE!"  We moved all my stuff to the Jag and Bob rode with me. One of the highlights of my Lotus Life. Great stories and we could talk easily because of my Vaccaro Wings.

Honestly guys, if the car sells, fine. I just cannot get into it, or really get out of it any longer with my abdominal issues. If it does not sell, that's OK as well. It has great Karma.  I can also keep it. My Doc says I should be able to get in and out of it once I recover from the surgery of about 10 days ago.  Surgery was so painful I am a little nervous about poking the bear again. We shall see. I know I will never be able to pull engines, turn hi-torque wrenches, change tires ever again, Docs have read me the riot act on that! So that is also an issue. I dont know if I want others working on my 7. 

Tony V

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the great info on the lights, Tony. Sorry to hear about the restrictions due to your surgery. Hopefully, you can still enjoy your 7 after you recover. I am just getting back into things after some eye surgery but the restrictions on activities were nowhere near as serious as yours.

Let me answer a few questions here.

The "Vaccaro" wings are my design. They went through about 4 design changes. First I made them wider which helped a little on the side wind but did nothing for the total wind. I thenade them longer, but the real trick came when I made them long enough to direct the wind under the rear wheels. That was the answer. I can talk to my passenger at 80 mph, semi-normal voice. People ask me why I did it. On my first drive after I built the car I drove it down the Lake Erie shore road. Wind and sand blasting my ears. That was just not acceptable to me. Friends of mine that also bought Caterhams at the same time told me to use the doors like they did. I told them if I wanted a car with doors, I would have bought a Corvette. Hence the "Vaccaro" wings. Just took much liability to sell them with the car.

I don't believe I will be able to get out of this car (with the full cage and side impact bars) without stressing my abdomen muscles to the point where I am going to end up back in the hospital. And like I said, I know I cannot work on cars any longer. I am between a rock and a hard place.

I met Graham Nearn at the Sevens at Summit (Raceway) back in I think 2001 or maybe 2002. He loved my wings. Thought it was a good design to fix what I thought was an issue for me. I always felt good that the owner/founder of Caterham liked my design.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Just a bump for this, I still want to sell it. I dont know if I can climb in out of the car with the my abdomen issues (just repaired hernias).  The cage makes it very diffucult.

Hi Tony,

Sorry to hear about your abdomen issues.  I think the" Caterham Butt Extractor" might keep you driving your 7.  My problem was a thrice torn rotator cuff making it very difficult and painful to lift my body high enough to get out of the car.  It consisted of a small ATV winch bolted to existing holes in the roll bar, a set of pulleys and climbing rope and a canvas sling seat to sit on while driving.  Kept me driving the car for about 4 more years.

DSCN2895.jpg

DSCN2896.jpg

DSCN4384.jpg

DSCN2893.jpg

Interesting on the "Butt Extractor". The full cage makes is a little more difficult. Not just a straight pull up.

Once i get it out of winter storage i will see what I can do. Maybe it will not be necessary to sell.

Tony

• 7 months later...

Still for sale. Located in Buffalo NY. In heated garage. Although as they have started to salt the roads here, not available for test drives until the spring.

Not that it matters. I think this is a car you can buy sight unseen without a test drive.

On 11/14/2022 at 3:19 PM, Mark IV said:

This car is currently in my shop for storage. It i not concours, it not a trailer queen. It IS a great driving Seven that cannot be duplicated for twice the price. Don't snooze on this. And it has some very interesting history, such as Bob Dance, Jim Clark's mechanic riding shotgun to a LOG in it.

I think I was there.  I had to help rescue a Seven from Mass that had had an unfortunate encounter with a large rock in the infield at The Glen.

Edited by pethier
The "v" on my new computer. Not kidding.

On 11/27/2022 at 5:48 PM, tvacc said:

Let me answer a few questions here.

The "Vaccaro" wings are my design. They went through about 4 design changes. First I made them wider which helped a little on the side wind but did nothing for the total wind. I thenade them longer, but the real trick came when I made them long enough to direct the wind under the rear wheels. That was the answer. I can talk to my passenger at 80 mph, semi-normal voice. People ask me why I did it. On my first drive after I built the car I drove it down the Lake Erie shore road. Wind and sand blasting my ears. That was just not acceptable to me. Friends of mine that also bought Caterhams at the same time told me to use the doors like they did. I told them if I wanted a car with doors, I would have bought a Corvette. Hence the "Vaccaro" wings. Just took much liability to sell them with the car.

I don't believe I will be able to get out of this car (with the full cage and side impact bars) without stressing my abdomen muscles to the point where I am going to end up back in the hospital. And like I said, I know I cannot work on cars any longer. I am between a rock and a hard place.

Are you doing OK with Elise cars, Tony?

Yes, fine with the Elises. I decided yesterday to sell my 1999 Elise Sport 190. Only has 2k miles on it

It's for track only and I'll be 72 this year.....and inability to lift heavy things like my rear trailer door....my track days are over. If you know of anyone interested, let me know. 

On 11/12/2023 at 5:41 PM, tvacc said:

It was 2013. We did not have a LOG 33 TRACK EXPERIENCE as the Porsche club had rented the track. Some of our attendees did take advantage of the Porsche event.

That's the one.  We LOGers were at Watkins Glen for our Panoramic Photo, Laps, and Lunch during that PCA track event.  After lunch I went out to take pictures of the track event.

(I had been standing in my trailer at home holding my bin of narrow-tire basket-style straps wondering if it was worth taking them on the trip, as simple straps on the center of the wider tires and wider track of the Elise allowed single strap over each tire.  Decided that maybe I would be called on to help someone with an early Lotus.  Made the correct choice, as it turns out.) 

The gentleman who had driven his Lotus Seven to the LOG in Corning from Massachusetts with his young son encountered a stone embedded in an unpaved infield road.  The stone rolled up out of its hole and lifted the car via the engine/gearbox assembly, breaking mounts and blowing the hood off of the car.  I came upon the scene in my Elise.
They limped the Seven over to Craig Straub’s trailer.  Craig assessed that MAYBE they could get the car back on the road if they could get a few certain parts off the Seven and get them welded.

Parts in hand, I drove the Elise back to Corning with the Seven owner's son to get the welding done for the Seven.  The welder sent me to a hardware store across town to get a washer.  On my way back, the Seven owner phoned to tell me that further investigation had revealed that the repair was not going to work.  Called the owner's son at the welding shop and told him to settle up with the shop and expect to be picked up by a red Suburban with a white trailer.  Back to the trailer area at the hotel to exchange the Elise for the rig, to the welding shop, and back to Watkins Glen.  Damned thankful I'd brought those "spare-gear" straps. We found a parking spot for the Seven.  The gentleman’s brother in Mass promised to scrounge a trailer and come for them after the LOG.

Fast-forward ten years:  I used these same straps when I drove to Illinois to donate "uncle jack" the Stag to the club that built it, and to pick up the 1700 Super Sprint.  

Each basket-style strap has rotating hooks.  In addition to the messing around getting the baskets on correctly, fiddling with getting rotating hooks into the floppy rings E-track clips is a pain.  The single-strap setups came with E-track clips on each strap end and on the pulley.  This is much-easier to deal with for every trip.

The tires on the 1700 Super Sprint are wide enough for the single straps, but the car width is too narrow to do this safely.   As soon as I got back to Minnesota. I laid down four five-foot E-tracks inside the existing tracks.  These line up too narrow for the Seven.  No worries.  One clip on the wide track and one clip on the narrow track puts the strap directly over the center of the tread at the top of the tire.  

I have good news:  The tie-down scheme works fine.

I have bad news:   I had to use it.  Yes, this quickly after my latest post here.

I will stop highjacking this thread now and start one about the problem.