Want S2 near stock or similar

Timothy Keith-Lucas

Unfortunately, single carb models are hard to find and the fiberglass bonnet scoop to clear the air cleaner is not readily available for converting. It seems most were "upgraded" to dual carbs.

Here is an S1 ("road" trip?): https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/lotus/7/2474818.html

Edited by MV8

Looking at North America, here is what I am tracking for Lotus 7s for sale - there are a fair few out there:

S1  race car (so not really meeting your description)

(1) Marketplace - 1959 Lotus - Gold Medalion Certified Vintage Race Car Super Seven - Series One | Facebook

S2 - A USA7s member (Mario - sadly he passed away in 2022) got it as a race car and brought it back to road through a refreshment.  Sold it 3+ years ago and it is back on the market.  Never verified by Mario - not sure it is the case still.

(1) Marketplace - 1962 Lotus Super 7 S2 | Facebook

S2 in CA - been for sale for over a year, maybe due to pricing

(1) Marketplace - 1967 Lotus Super 7 | Facebook

S2 in FL

1962 Lotus 7 America for sale| Wire Wheel of Vero Beach, FL

S2 on Bringatrailer

1967 Lotus Super Seven for sale on BaT Auctions - ending December 29 (Lot #94,578) | Bring a Trailer

S2 in NC

SimpleSevens: Jeff Lehmann's Lotus Seven

Are you open to looking at UK right hand drive cars?

I am joining you! Friday I road tripped to Vero Beach and bought the 1962 S2 that Wire Wheels had on the market. This is close to being a stock S2 barn find - rough paint, rotted rubber bushings, and faded red upholstry, but running just fine. The only non-origial part I or the owner could find is the oil pressure gauge, and I think I'll replace that with a Smith. She has an extensive and well-documented race history in the northeast in the 1960s. She needs a windshield and a muffler to be street friendly.

Thank you for all your help.  I do feel that I am among friends on USA7s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Congratulations on your new to you, Seven!  Hayes Harris has a good reputation which helps when purchasing a Seven.

The AC oil pressure gauges do show up several times per year on eBay UK.  Here's one now, though you'll need to ask the seller if they will consider shipping outside of the UK.  It's higher priced than most go for, so you may just want to wait or have yours refurbished.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185682975276?hash=item2b3b915a2c:g:gPEAAOSwCTJjVWuL&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAsBqnibmHlOqXoHjB4s2bzqa5uhzYY49E7UDrK%2BELTpFLSwcp5rnAHGRUWEBFI%2FA%2FrE3dBmGwLyiK%2BngW%2FlCSZorclu%2B3lK%2F3IN2rVxhE2FGQjnk%2BCfUl8JRucESbFk0aVwYnTA4zQ7E%2FTvUcbB00R58RorM8uqG3rGahh1qNFqBV6j%2B3FAtgsMiCZ6DagMCHvOdm8iua%2BWkoDIsphipaQe6dzhbbyepGGasSaLuGazWJ|tkp%3ABk9SR97Qs_atYQ

Best of luck!

Edit to add:  Looking at the pictures of your car, I think you meant to say your Temperature Gauge is not original.  That was not an uncommon swap (to Stewart Warner) - the AC Temp Gauges are very rare.  You may want to check with Redline Components in the UK as they made a (now sold out) limited run of reproduction AC Temp Gauges.  I've asked if they would be making another run of them, but have had great difficulty in getting a response...I've been asking for two gauges.

Edited by straightcut

Thank you, straightcut. I'm looking forward to delivery. We re-organized the garage yesterday so she will have a bay of her own. I'm chasing down a windscreen, and thinking about how to honor her well-documented racing history while making her civilian. I make no pretense to being a racer, so it seems fraudulent to ride around in a numbered and stickered 7. I'm thinking about all BRG, as original.

On 1/3/2023 at 8:46 AM, Timothy Keith-Lucas said:

Thank you, straightcut. I'm looking forward to delivery. We re-organized the garage yesterday so she will have a bay of her own. I'm chasing down a windscreen, and thinking about how to honor her well-documented racing history while making her civilian. I make no pretense to being a racer, so it seems fraudulent to ride around in a numbered and stickered 7. I'm thinking about all BRG, as original.

It's OK if it's an ex racer driven on the street! No one will look down on you for it.. honestly, leaving it as is and street driving it is more awesome -> you're honoring the car's past.

I was able to track down the original owner of my car. He had a few stories and pictures of how he took it to the 24 hours of Lemans with 3 other 7 owners. These cars are so bizzare, they have taken on lives of their own, and that's OK.

These cars acquire stories of their own, and will probably live past our lives when taken care of. Don't worry about judgement, as a fellow 7 owner, I'd be super happy seeing that on the road.

Edited by slowdude
  • Like 1

Thank you, slowdude, that's a very thoughtful reply. She'll certainly stay in racing plumage for awhile - I will take any plans for a change very slowly.  Fortunately, she runs very well on the street now, so I'm not forced to make decisions like that in order to even enjoy her.  Now I just wish she'd get her aluminum butt up here from Vero Beach.