Series 4 information needed

Tom

I recently purchased a rolling chassis of a Series 4 in desperate need of restoration. I am looking for any information that would assist with the job of putting it back on the street. Pictures, drawings etc that will help me put this back together.

Thank you,

Tom

At the shop.jpg

• Like 1

Nice score Tom! We've been talking about that one on Locostusa. Did the seller have any other parts for sale off this car like the hard top and doors? Buy back whatever you can. I see you bought the trailer too.

I'll see what I can find.

Check the downloads section, there are some useful resources there.  I have the Series 4 section out of the old shop manual published by Caterham for the Lotus S2,S3, and S4 after buying the licensing from Lotus.  The S2 and S3 sections are in the download sections, but I didn't have reason to scan the S4 section.  Happy to send that section to you if you need it, just PM me your address.

This was all he had. He did have some Series 2 parts, engines etc I didn't see any bodywork. He was selling the car for the family of the previous owner. There were some pieces of doors in the car one that looked fairly whole the other had been broken and someone tried to "repair" it with some odd pieces. We haven't pulled them out yet to see if we can reconstruct them. The "top" was just a pieced that went from the top of the windshield to the back as a wide strip. The remains are still attached to the windshield. Again a full inventory isn't complete yet we are waiting for the car to dry out after the drive home in pouring rain and snow.

I understand some tubes were cut. Here are some chassis pics in this link: https://www.caterhamlotus7.club/blogs/lotus-7-s4-rebuild-blog

Here are some good pics (left-right scroll) of one for sale that might help assemble the puzzle:

http://findclassicars.com/lotus/127680-1972-lotus-super-seven-7-s4-classic-british-roadster-track-car-not-a-replica.html

Post if you are looking for anything specific.

If you haven't already find a used copy of Tony Weale's book on the Seven - lots of great information and details including the S4.  Ortenburger's Legend of the Lotus Seven is also useful.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum, Tom,

I'm glad to see you post here with this Series 4!  Your car was tempting me in part because I have a 1600 Kent (currently stuck) in my garage, but couldn't justify it due to the distance to retrieve it.  

Cheers,

Mark

My first experience in a 7 was in Peter Fawcett's orange S4 in Dallas.  I was working at an inspection & oil change garage when Peter's son Andrew pulled in for a sticker. I got to take it for the required brake test drive.  I had to fail it on a faulty turn signal, so he had to come back.  On the return, Peter brought the car and he graciously invited me to come by the house to see the Loti collection.  

The S4 is now in the hands of Andrew's wife, a regular at Texas Motorsport Ranch, I believe.

The hood scoop is on the "wrong" side because someone was going to put in a different motor where the carbs were opposite of the Ford motors. Since there are missing tubes we are going to have to do some repair but at the moment we aren't planning on installing a Ford. We considering installing a Honda K series motor and a Miata trans.

Lots of work yet to be done before that happens. Step 1 is taking inventory of what is there and what is missing, taking the body off (carefully) and beginning clean up. As I said this will take a while so we have our entertainment lined up for the next couple years.

Opposite side intake is a given. I think Scott was thinking there may have been more than one design hood/bonnet offered but I don't believe so.

I'd enjoy seeing the carnage repaired/altered step by step if you'd like to have a build topic.

Whatever you do with, thanks for keeping it out of the crusher. Anything you do to it is better than that.

I was going to speculate that since the PO had S2 bits laying around perhaps he was going to put a pre-crossflow engine in this - other than the scoop, would be a fairly simple swap.

I wouldn't discount the Ford/Lotus engine out of hand.  Parts new and old aren't hard to find, nor are good blocks and heads (even new ones).  Elan owners who wanted an updated motor have generally gone the Zetec/Duratec route, so those may work in the S4 Seven, too.

Edited by SENC
  • Like 1

When I was pondering this car from afar, I too was thinking Zetec, but coupled with a Mercur XR4TI T-9 5 speed.  Granted, the transmission isn’t easy to find in the states anymore, but it would keep the car in the Lotus/Ford lineage - also folllows the Caterham path.  Then again, Tom”s plan would be fun and drive well, too!

Its hard to argue with a Mazda transmission,  the availability and adaptability...

After reading up on the Honda K, it too appears to be a very adaptable and sporting engine.  It comes down to how much support there is for the components.  The K is very popular now, not lacking anything. 

Edited by IamScotticus