Over Heating of Radiator and Engine

MHKflyer52

Well for all who care I finally decided to keep my car equipped with a BMC engine so I found an MGB GT that was in need of a new home and purchased it for the engine and trans. The Engine an 1800cc had a new head installed recently and a compression test showed that it is good and it runs and starts with ease and has good oil pressure without any knocks or noises and no overheating after running for a while in 109 degree temperature. The car was a project that lost its appeal of the previous owner and it was time for a new home for it so I acquired it at a far price and the previous owner is happy that it will be used appropriately. I will be parting it out after I get the engine out and then cleaned up and into the 7 so if anyone has a need for some good used parts for an MGB GT let me know.

Well I findly made the time to get the old deadengine out of the 7. Boy dose my 7 look naked now. I have added some photos of the process to the link if your interested.

http://picasaweb.google.com/MHKflyer52/OverheatingProblemBeingSolvedByReplacingEngine

Next step is to get the engine and trans out of the MGB GT and freshen it up while I clean the engine bay of the 7.

:7frog:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Well no more overheating problems now as the new (rebuilt MGB motor) is in the car and the drive around the block was a lot of fun especially with the open headers...nice blue flame about six inches out of the pipes.

Here is a couple of photos of it while still in the shop and yes I know my shop is a mess but I know were almost all the tools are hiding.:D

If you look close in the first photo you can see the old dead engine in the back round.

http://www.usa7s.com/aspnetforum/upload/31408231_DSCN0260.JPG

http://www.usa7s.com/aspnetforum/upload/268721705_DSCN0262.JPG

Well I am really disgusted at the moment with my "7" as it has just been giving me all kinds of fits and small problems.

The new engine in my car has just been one thing after another. Today was the first time that I took it out for a run besides the trip around the block after getting it back into the chassis and running. That trip around the block showed me some small problems like an oil leak coming from the pushrod covers on the side of the block which are located behind the exhaust headers and below the intake manifold. Not the easiest place to get my hands into but I was able to replace the seals and fixed that leak. then this morning I figured I would drive my car to the monthly breakfast of the Porsche Club which just happed to be at the local airport and was the drive your other toy meeting so I figured I would drive the 7 to the breakfast and have some fun which I did until I decided to head back home. I got about a mile from the airport and just happened to notice my oil pressure was dropping while sitting at a red light. Pulled to the side and shut it down to find an oil line was leaking were the hose and fitting meet, (new hose but poor quality I guess) I was able to fix that small problem by removing both hoses to the oil cooler and using the other hose to make a loop that omitted the oil cooler until I could get home or so I though. While going down the freeway at 65mph all of a sudden my engine just quits and I find my self coasting and thinking now what is wrong. Well I got it over to the shoulder and found that the return line from the radiator to the choke is blown and has soaked the distributor and electronics so I just guess my ride was just not to be and that my 7 likes the shop bay more than it likes being out on the open road. Here are some photos of how we came home.

http://picasaweb.google.com/MHKflyer52/TheTripHomeAug22008

I know where you're at as I have been there. It does get better with time. Very few people understand the pain that you experience when you develop a car. I hope that you do enjoy working on the car during the process as that is the trick. There is a lot of satisfaction when the 7 becomes reliable. I spent all of yesterday changing my injection system from batch fire to sequential injection and now have to spend many more hours with the new fuel mapping. Keep your chin up, you’ll get thru it.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

I feel for you Martin. I've had to deal with many pesky oil leaks, coolant leaks, and even a fuel leak with my '64 MGB. Don't know how many times I've been tempted to put a Zetec in it (already have the T9 tranny) just for the reduced maintenance and the increased performance. Hang in there, I'm sure you'll have it running fine soon. :)

Bruce :7drive:

Back in the day I had a MGA that required way too much time working on everything. A Little 283 Cu. IN. V8 and new drivetrain solved the problem. For the date? 327's just came out and were too much $$ for a poor kid like me. I know the pain!