2009 Caterham

pksurveyor

My experience with both RMSC and Sevens and Elans is you will get the part quickly if they have it, otherwise it could be a while. They can arrange for overnite shipping from England if you want to pay the $100++ cost. I have done that.

The personnel are unfailingly nice/helpful. Both are periodically absent from the office for extended times, typically working on various Caterham cars or car-related projects. So they can be difficult (impossible) to reach when you really, really need them.

Nonetheless, it usually works quite well and it's great to have knowledgeable people willing to help with advice and parts.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[begin rant]

But this just shouldn't happen...not at least if you hope to stay in business. The only way RMSC can help is if they have spare parts in stock. To save money, Caterham ships parts by containers - that means all the US orders are placed each month, Caterham fills the orders (hopefully) and then puts them in a container that is loaded on a transatlantic ship.

I am still annoyed that it took forever (5 months) to get a spare watts link, low camber DeDion ears, Superlight wheels and a set of brake pads. Recently, I tried to get another set of the Lucas Blue Strip brake pads for the rear calipers. US Caterham has none in stock because Caterham UK didn't include any in the recent container shipment.

I come from a strong business background and honestly, I don't understand how this happens. I get the impression Caterham UK doesn't really care about the US market.

[end rant]

The currency exchange rate is now a little better than a few months ago but shipping cost is going up like a rocket. I am using Performance Friction brake pads instead of try to acquire the Caterham OEM parts. They used the same pads as Triumph Spitfire.

Pardon my ignorance on the shipping, but when I see the word "container" I think of a ship. Could these parts not be shipped by AIR?

I would hope the dry sump oiling system that I am ordering from SBD in England is to be shipped 2-day via DHL air.

Typically, they will ask if you want it air freighted or if putting it in the "container" is OK. I assume the container arrives by ship.

I have several parts in the container as I type, including a carbon fiber racing seat that I am drooling over getting. Since the stock seat that I have works fine, there was no reason to pay the exorbitant air-freight rate.

Caterham is not Ford Motors so suffers by comparison. On the other hand, for those of us who are not mechanically inclined, it is nice to be able to call someone and describe a problem and have the needed parts ID'd and shipped out (In my case to my mechanic's shop). Or, my mechanic will call them and they will figure out a solution together.

That is the reason I decided to build a Seven of North American manufacture that I can go to my local GM/Napa etc store and pick up a part. This way I am not off the road for extended periods of time especially with the reduced driving time of the Canadian summer.

• 2 weeks later...

I order parts from RMSC/Caterham USA (now one and the same, for all practical purposes) when possible, but I also order directly from Caterham UK if USA doesn't have the part in stock. The shipping is no worse than ordering anything else from overseas, and the parts are usually here in a week or two. Darren in the parts department at Caterham is very dutiful about answering emails quickly, and has no peer when it comes to knowing the cars. I have never been told my order had to wait for the monthly container (I expect that's a Caterham USA thing).

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Excellent color, Sevens need visability and that should do nicely. Jeff does very good work in Ft Worth and I am sure that header issue will be taken care of soon. Many extra parts available from racers that probably will have the tube you need.

Good luck and hope to see you and your wife at some of the local events. :flag:

• 1 month later...

Lotus Owners of South Texas (L.O.S.T.) held a time trial at the Houston Police Academy last Saturday. I was the fastest driver in the morning sessions and came in second overall on Fastest Time of the Day. The Fastest Time of the Day was an Elise with a highly modified Ohlin suspension.

• 1 month later...

WOW.... That thing is beautiful...... Can't beat that screaming green..... No officer if was the other extremely green car....

I have tried that and they give you a really funny look..... But of course being a 7s driver we are use to funny looks.

I can't wait to see this beast in person.

Cheers and congrads.

7evin