1600 X-Flow question: (clutch/oil problem??)

southwind25

This 1600 is still rather new to us...though we are learning it quickly (and will be replaced this winter)

Is there a rear main seal on this engine?

or is it just a crank-to-block tolerance thing like my old leaky BMC A series?

After only 5 k miles the clutch is slipping at High speed-High revs. It seems to be ok from a stop (i havnt done any burnouts off the line) but anything above about 4k rpm under power and it starts slipping rather badly.

We suspect simple oil on the clutch surface....anyone have experience here with this engine-clutch scenario?

BUT?...it could be something else? ...

((before we take it apart we might try playing with the clutch slave cylinder throw out rod to make sure it's properly fully engaged... ))

we wouldnt think we have worn out a clutch after 5k!..we havnt pushed the car that hard yet. and we dont have the budget at the moment to just drop in the new zetec

It's often dangerous to trust my memory... but yes there is an oil seal.

If I recall correctly the early engine used the famous "rope" seal which was in two pieces and often leaked. The later piece was a proper 1 piece neoprene seal with a metal tensioner.

Chances are, if the clutch pedal clearance is correct, then it's the oil seal.

It is said that the memory is the second thing to go..... I don't recall what the first is!

:nonod:

As much as we hate breaking into the main part of the driving season...

yeah, we are going to yank the lump out and plan on replacing the rear seal, front tranny seal, and look and see if they need repair sleevs as well.

then replace the clutch-pressure plate-bearing with something a little more robust...or at least not saturated.