Northeast Caravan to Log 29

yellowss7

Ok, I know it's still early, but this event looks like it might be a worth while adventure.

Dates are May 28th thru June 1, 2009 in Birmingham, Alabama.

See Here

If there is interest, I'd be willing to coordinate a trip plan for those who would like to take a leisurely trip down.

I figure the 14 hour trip could be done in two days, as I don't think my butt or brain could tow for 14-15 hours straight.

For those of you in the area, If you would be interested in making the trip in a group. Please post your interest in a reply to this thread. Once I know who's interested I wil coordinate a planning session. Tom

there's that TOW word again... :D

I'll jump in and say I want to be part of this somehow, pending work, race schedules, etc.

Worth looking into a group share of a 6 or 7 car dedicated transporter from a common location?

... or a logical progression of pickups along the way?

Ian,

I can look into transport costs. I know a buddy of mine just moved to St. Simon Island Ga, and it cost him around $1000.oo one way to have his car transported. Ok it was a Poker, so maybe they hammered him.:D

I calculate approx. 1800 miles round trip, figure 10-13 mpg, gas at around $1.70-$2.00 a gallon. That's around $250-$350 for gas. Unless they give us a really good group discount I doubt that it would be cost effective. IMHO But then again I could be wrong. I'll make a call once we see how many are interested. Keep those good ideas coming.

Tom

Yeah, that number by itself is pretty 'standard'. I paid $1100 texas to vermont, dedicated pick-up-and-delivery.

Just thinking that if the carrier knew he had a confirmed full load, all going to the same place, at a time of reduced income possibilities, he might be willing to negotiate substantially.

Good Morning,

Ian's idea of hiring someone for transport is a great idea.

From my past dealings with transport,hiring an open trailer is a LOT cheaper.

I woke up today and found my wife on the LOG site, so thats a very good sign of we are going. She liked the video, and said it looked like a fun trip. Too Easy !!!!!

Happy Holidays to all!! Steve

Right now it's me, Steve, Al? and possibly Ian. Hey Box???

lotta plans already for '09 that will consume vacation days(Rome + Glen track day, DC, USA7s09, Divisional, and the Hobart). and I love birmingham. actually, i love the ladies of birmingham.:flag: haven't been back since 02, but I would be a bad person to try to keep up with if i go. :party: I may fly down and back anticipating how little rest i plan to get:hurray: :yesnod:

I'm interested in joining up with a group for a slow tow. It usually doesn't work out for us since we are coming from the end of the earth (tidewater Virginia). We are going and we will be towing the 7. The big questions for us are what day and what route. I want to arrive on Thursday evening at the latest and will leave on Tuesday at the earliest.

Hi Dean, Slow tow is right on. I probalby won't do much over 60mph. I'm in no hurry.

I looked at the agenda and registration is open from noon until 6pm on Thursday. With a BBQ at 6:45pm.

I'd like to get there mid afternoon, say around 3 or so.

From Philly the google Maps route is 873 miles and estimates 14 hours of driving. I think that is way too optimistic. More like 16-18 hours driving, plus lunch breaks and gas fill ups.

I would probably start out real early to get past DC Before the AM Rush Hour. The drive until we tired out. Find a hotel. Dinner. And start out early again on Thursday AM. Thursday looks like an early arrival day with no real activities, just a chance to get the lay of the land.

Never been there but google maps route is:

7.Merge onto I-95 S/US-202 S via the ramp to Baltimore

Continue to follow I-95 S

Partial toll road

Entering Maryland 98.3 mi

8. Take exit 27 for I-495 W toward Silver Spring/Bethesda 0.6 mi

9. Keep right at the fork to continue toward I-495 N and merge onto I-495 N

Entering Virginia 22.1 mi

10. Take exit 49 to merge onto I-66 W toward Front Royal/Manassas 64.4 mi

11. Take exit 1A to merge onto I-81 S toward Roanoke

Entering Tennessee 377 mi

12. Merge onto I-40 W 27.8 mi

Take exit 393 to merge onto I-640 W/US-25W N toward Lexington/I-75

Continue to follow I-640 W 10.6 mi

14. Take the exit onto I-40 W/I-75 S toward Chattanooga/I-40 W

Continue to follow I-75 S 100 mi

15. Take exit 2 to merge onto I-24 W toward Chattanooga

Entering Georgia 17.3 mi

16. Take exit 167 on the left to merge onto I-59 S toward Birmingham

Entering Alabama 124 mi

17. Take exit 137 on the left to merge onto I-459 S toward Montgomery/Tuscaloosa 13.0 mi

18. Take exit 19 for US-280 W 0.5 mi

19. Merge onto AL-280/AL-38 0.7 mi

20. Turn left at Dolly Ridge Rd 59 ft

21. Continue on Cahaba River Rd

If anyone can recommend a better route, I'd be interested. Thanks Tom

Tom; Such detail! I was thinking of going out rt58 through the speed trap town of Emporia to I-81 then I-40... This bypasses much city traffic in crazy places like Atlanta. Only 900 miles for you. We can share cell phone numbers and chose a FSR radio channel when things firm up.

If anyone has time I recommend taking the parkway (skyline drive) which is what we did in 2004. It has few visitors on weekdays. Be warned, Park Rangers take a very dim view of speeding.

We have only missed one LOG since LOG 11 (1991) so I want to be able to visit with some of our friends. LOG seems to unofficial start earlier each year with people arriving a day or two before the formal activities begin. I always feel rushed at LOG since there is always so much to do, even when I don't have to make repairs! I'm looking forward to a nice leisurely visit at the Barber Museum. My wife will meet up with some of Women of Lotus. My term for an unorganized group of women who terrorize the local shops and tourist sites often carpooling in huge tow vehicles. Two of the regulars are associated with Se7ens, one of whom owns her own S3. As an aside, any couple flying in from overseas will probably have their wife corrupted by American style consumerism running the gamete from high end boutiques to the joys of dollar stores.

The hotel was nice when we last visited (LOG 24 in 2004) and has been remodeled since then.

Anyone not familiar with LOGs shuld take at the LOG Survival Guide www.lotuscarclub.org/gatherings.htm It needs a bit of updating, which I'll get to in the new year.

But I digress.

• 2 weeks later...

Jon, I'm open to suggestions on the route. What I posted is from Google maps. I am thinking that we might plan to leave very early on Wednesday, like 3am early to beat the Philly/DC traffic. 3 hours or so past DC by 6am and we should have clear sailing.

Towing, I will be alot slower than you guys that will be driving. I figure that with stops it may take closer to 17-18 hours of driving. So the plan would be to get as far as we can the first day, (without beating ourselves up too badly) and then try to arrive around 2pm or so on Thursday. (check in for LOG29 is noon to 6pm. Hotel checkin is 4 pm, according to my confirmation.

Again, I'm open to suggestions. Let's see who is interested in heading down and then we can go offline and discuss the options. This is going to be a blast. Tom