Lotus return to F1 in 2010

stevet

It's Lotus in name only. Lotus disavowed any involvement with the team, in fact was seeking to prevent them from using the Lotus name. Buried deep in the article is the following statement:

"The organisation behind the new Lotus team have bought the rights to the name Team Lotus - which competed in F1 from 1958 through to 1994..."

Hopefully Lotus got a nice chunk of change for selling the rights to the name.

Steve,

The big problem is, doing all the work to build your own car, and getting it to the grid. Massive undertaking. Plus FIA said it has room for 3 new teams, and 4 to 6 said they would like a spot. I wish them all the best, The Lotus guys better call Cosworth

Yesterday !!!!!

If Cosworth does supply all these new teams, they are going to be hopping , I "ll check to see it they are trading on the stock market !!!! LOL ???? No really !!!!

Steve

It's Lotus in name only. Lotus disavowed any involvement with the team, in fact was seeking to prevent them from using the Lotus name. Buried deep in the article is the following statement:

"The organisation behind the new Lotus team have bought the rights to the name Team Lotus - which competed in F1 from 1958 through to 1994..."

Hopefully Lotus got a nice chunk of change for selling the rights to the name.

Actually, unless I'm mistaken, Lotus (as in Group Lotus, the operating automotive manufacturing and engineering company) hasn't actually owned the name Team Lotus for competition use in a long time. I think it's resided with David Hunt since the Pacific-Lotus debacle, but even prior to that wasn't affiliated with Lotus car company for some time. So, if they bought "Team Lotus", then "our" Lotus didn't get anything.

However, if they purchased the rights to use "Lotus" in some other way, then maybe they will have had to license from Group Lotus.

...I have a headache.

Bottom line, though, it's mostly a branding stunt and (IMO) mis-represents the history of the new team.

What ever happened to the jaguar F1 team? they kinda vaporized after a season it seems.

well it will be nice to hear the name lotus in this class of racing again.. but i wonder, will the cars carry a lotus badge? curious what the color scheme might be?

will the cars have as many wings as a se7en autocross car? (sorry,,,hehehehe)

Formula 1 racing is sorta like watching playboy channel..

kinda fun to look at but so unrealistic i have a hard time relating.

the technology is phenominal.. but is it exciting?

i have an old slot car track at home, and the cars have little magnets in them...they cannot come off the track even upside down, so you hold down the controller and it becomes boring.

for open wheel, i MUCH rather enjoy watching a good formula ford race..

(matter of fact, would be fun to race one.)

Formula 1 racing is sorta like watching playboy channel..

kinda fun to look at but so unrealistic i have a hard time relating.

the technology is phenominal.. but is it exciting?

i have an old slot car track at home, and the cars have little magnets in them...they cannot come off the track even upside down, so you hold down the controller and it becomes boring.

for open wheel, i MUCH rather enjoy watching a good formula ford race..

(matter of fact, would be fun to race one.)

just sayin... :D