Pictures from the British Motoring Conclave

scannon

1. This is the first Series 4 I have seen other than pictures. It looks much better than I expected. It has an original Lotus Twin Cam engine.

2 & 3. Westfield X1, a nicely patina'd driver. He drove this on the rally on Saturday as well as showing it on Sunday.

4 & 5. A very nicely restored 1961 Lotus Elite. Won 1st in class in the Lotus division.

6. What British car gathering is complete without the drum and bagpipe band?

7. Four of the six Se7ens entered in the show. L to R, Bsimon's RHD Vauxhall engined Caterham, my '04 SV, the Lotus Series 4, 75Twincam's Caterham.

8. A very unique hemi head V8, can you guess where it came from without looking at the next picture?

9. This hot rod was built in New Zeland many years ago. I walked up from the rear of the car and didn't see the sign. The engine stopped me dead in my tracks. The owner said I was the first person to recognize the engine without seeing the sign.

Edited by scannon

Looks like a fun time, thanks for sharing Skip!

"8. A very unique hemi head V8, can you guess where it came from without looking at the next picture?" - When ever I hear a question like that with a potential foreign slant, I always guess the Daimler SP250. From all the road tests I've read it was a sweet running motor looking for some new clothes. Some people thought the SP250 looked like a carp and I guess I would agree:

thanks for the additional pics of the 4. Lots of similarities to mine although different parking lights, and doors. I don't know if that one is earlier or later than mine. I do think it takes a while to like the looks of them. When i bought mine i wanted a series 3 but they had already gone to making the 4 so that was what i got. Great pics though. Where are you at in Colorado? i have a daughter in Coloado Springs.

IIRC, this S4 was a '67 or '68, factory built and original owner.

I'm in Erie, about 20 minutes North of downtown Denver. Stop by next time you visit the area and go for a ride in the Caterham. Maybe I can arrange for you to meet the owner of the S4 in the show.

I wished I were the original owner, but I am not! I bought the car 7 years ago in Hemet, CA. The owner before that lived in Thousand Oaks, also in CA, and I don't know the history of the car before that.

My S4 was built in June 1970, so it was one of the early 7 S4 cars. Later cars do have a slightly different bonnet , and different wings which include the turn signals (instead of having them fixed on either side of the scuttle). On my 7 S4 Twin Cam, the side exhaust, steering wheel, and K&N air filter are not original, the rest of the car is. The engine has been rebuilt to "rally specs" by Jay Ivey in Portland, Oregon, and I had a new wiring loom fitted. It is otherwise unrestored.

I have a lot of parts cross-referenced for the 7 S4, and will share that knowledge with any S4 owner who needs the info.

JLC in the Black Forest, between Colorado Springs and Denver.

Hi JLC,

It was nice meeting and talking with you at the show. Sorry about mixing up the original owner bit.

You asked about my headlights. I found the dealer I bought them from but it looks like they don't carry them in the 5 3/4" size but they do have them in 4 1/2". You might ask them if they still have the bigger versions.

http://www.demonscycle.com/Shop/Control/MainMenu/fp/cat/87154/seo/1/sfv/31995/page/1/SFV/31995

How about opening a thread in the Members Rides section to tell us all about your S4?

Skip

I wished I were the original owner, but I am not! I bought the car 7 years ago in Hemet, CA. The owner before that lived in Thousand Oaks, also in CA, and I don't know the history of the car before that.

My S4 was built in June 1970, so it was one of the early 7 S4 cars. Later cars do have a slightly different bonnet , and different wings which include the turn signals (instead of having them fixed on either side of the scuttle). On my 7 S4 Twin Cam, the side exhaust, steering wheel, and K&N air filter are not original, the rest of the car is. The engine has been rebuilt to "rally specs" by Jay Ivey in Portland, Oregon, and I had a new wiring loom fitted. It is otherwise unrestored.

I have a lot of parts cross-referenced for the 7 S4, and will share that knowledge with any S4 owner who needs the info.

JLC in the Black Forest, between Colorado Springs and Denver.

I bought mine as a kit and purchased the engine(used TC) seperately at the time so over the years it was auto X'ed and such and damaged a couple of times so now for the last year i've be repairing and generally fixing up. It great to see another one especially in the yellow. Pm me when you have time i'll send you my e-mail and i'd like to get more info about parts cross references and such...

bob

lotuscarshow 022.jpg

Finally getting to the pics I took last weekend. Only one good shot of the Sevens, plus a Lola T70 (once upon a time Parnelli Jones car) and a Lotus Formula 2 (US Formula B).

Sevens.jpg

Sevens in a row--front to back: 75TwinCam, jleclainche, scannon, bsimon, and unknown black and polished aluminium.

Lola T70.jpg

Lola T70

Lotus Formula B.jpg

Lotus Formula B