New Super 7 project based on S2000

lambobuilder

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing work. I really like the look of your proposed Se7en. Sort of what Caterham should build if they wanted a new look that was consistent with the spirit and the general outline of the current Caterham. I will enjoy following your progress.

Why a Honda engine and not a Duratec? Longevity?

Mike

We used to have an S2000 and really enjoyed it. When my son started the project, he got the whole powertrain and I'm working with what we have.

Not sure what the eventual body will look like, the picture is from an Elfin but I really like the look. Since I've built several exotics, I think I can come up with something that will accommodate the taller engine and still have a sleek look. That is a ways off yet.

Dale: Your previous cars look terriffic. I am sure that your seven will be equally impressive. I look forward to seeing the build progress.

As the owner of an S2000 powered seven, I can testify to the ruggedness and reliability of the S2000 engine and transmission. I haven't done anything to the engine except change oil regularly. I have never touched any other nuts or bolts on the engine & transmission, and have never even replaced a spark plug. I actually did look at one plug when assembling the kit, but it was OK, and the engine only had 1500 miles on it, so I didn't check the others. Hondas seem to be bulletproof.

I would think the 7 will be a lot easier than what you've been doing... perhaps it'll allow you to be more creative... maybe a little more aerodynamic...;)

Look forward to seeing your progress. Have fun!

• 3 weeks later...

Looks extremely well thought-out/executed. Target weight for the completed vehicle? The anti-roll bar seems humongous. Is it needed? I think many of our Se7ens, mine included, are bar-less.

Keep us posted!

Mike

Updated pictures on the website. As far weight, have no clue. Trying to use same setup as S2000 which used the sway bar. Actually need to tie upper and lower brackets together and this will make good attach point for brackets. Need to do a some research and see what spring rate everyone is using.

• 10 months later...

Finally got back to working on the car. Fabbing front suspension using screw in ball joints but ran into issue with top assembly.

http://lambobuilder.com/LS7imgs/1.jpg

http://lambobuilder.com/LS7imgs/2.jpg

http://lambobuilder.com/LS7imgs/3.jpg

Because it is hitting wheels, some of my options are to use a Tie rod end which should allow clearance, ream out top hole to allow ball joint to seat farther down or use spacer to move wheel out for clearance. Open to suggestions.

IMO the tie rods ends are a more elegant and simple solution and easy enough to get.

I would anyway be worried with the cone that far sticking out of the taper that it may shear off under brake or cornering load?

• 3 weeks later...

Hard to be sure from the photo above since it's not a pure "straight on" view, but that rear rocker looks to have a serious falling rate ratio that you may want to reconsider. Also, you might consider triangulating those rockers themselves. I'll see if I can find a photo of the ones on the race car.

worked, see below

Edited by Ian7
photo below

It appears from the photo that there is enough space that you could remove the center eye mounting brackets and re-position them much lower on each side of the diff, so you would get a raising rate suspension.

Dave W

A straight on shot would help to see how the push rod to rocker angle compares to the rocker to shock angle to better see if it is falling, neutral or rising, though it does appear to be somewhat falling rate.

By making the angle of the rockers a little narrower and pulling the shock mounts on the chassis a bit further apart, it should be easy to get it more neutral or rising rate.

That rear sway bar looks pretty beefy though it drop links attach to the A-arms fairly close to the pivot. Could probably go a lot lighter with a smaller bar and attach closer to the uprights.

Unless you want to analyze the geometry in detail, it will likely be a bit of tuning to get the rates etc where you need them to be to balance the car once you have it running.

Have fun.