83 Donkervoort for sale

jkrueger

Before messing with the jets I would take the car to a dyno with wideband lambda equipment and get a baseline since you don't really know how good or bad it is right now. Otherwise you may be on the money and just make it worse.

For that matter, when I still had Webers on the engine they performed pretty good from sea level to 7000 ft. The nice thing about carbs is that the Bernoulli Effect compensates automatically for most of the atmospheric pressure changes (what you got to do with electronics in an EFI system).

Thanks! Does anyone have any auto transporter that they would recommend? I've pretty well done away with the idea of exposed (or open air) transporter and will stick with an enclosed trailer. Still there are a lot to choose from and other than the open/enclosed issue the only thing I know is that I want to stay away from a "terminal" service where they stage vehicles until they have a full shipment to transport.

So, anybody ship a seven this way and they were happy (or not) with the overall service?

Calvin

Calvin - I used Passport (owned by FedEx) to ship my Caterham from Denver to St. Louis. Was very happy with the service, and felt like the car was in good hands. Not the cheapest, although I think if you join Lotus Ltd. you get a member discount.

Steve

Thanks Steve,

I found this site but you have to wonder how much of it is real. FedEx is about the most expensive I found but they won't even consider moving the spare parts which takes them out of consideration. I know, I could separate the two (car/parts) but since I refuse to use the terminal service, I'm already paying for point to point driving. This time of year appears to be a "dog eat dog" environment for the industry and to an extent they are fighting for the business. I do not believe that I would be getting the level of attention that I am in a few months when things warm up. My target isn't the cheapest price by any means, I want the car here in the same condition that it is now. To an extent I'm actually looking for smaller companies that provide more service instead of a tracking number on a website.

Thank you for the response though. I'm really looking forward to that first weekend getaway and am plotting a course to the tail of the dragon!

Calvin

I've had cars transported about 5 times. Believe it or not, the 2 good experiences I had were with Ebay's affiliated and recommended shippers. The other 3 experiences were not good, but were acceptable given what I was shipping (beater project cars).

I'm sorry, but I don't have records of the two outfits I used that were good other than they were contracted through Ebay. In both cases I was able to ask that my car be loaded by the seller and be the last car in, and that I be able to unload it myself on delivery (as opposed to them moving multiple vehicles to move mine). This cost more because it dictated the route and how full the transporter could be. Essentially they had to come most of the way across the country, drop my car off, and then drop a few more off East of me. I suppose this could have meant I would have to pay 3 or 4 cars worth for my one car, but it wasn't that bad ... the seller and the shipper worked with me on waiting for a week when the transporter was already coming East, and had a few cars to deliver all East of me anyway. I think I paid about $800 to get the car from TN to OH, and agreed to meet the truck driver somewhere convenient for him instead of my driveway.

I looked into "one car in one trailer" transportation and it was so expensive I could have bought a better car locally for the difference.

Edited by e043656

Thanks Steve,

I found this site but you have to wonder how much of it is real.

Calvin

That site is not legit at all. It is owned and run by a company that does search engine marketing for several of the companies listed on this 'service'.

If you want particular recommendations, drop me a PM. I know the industry well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm the proud new owner. My first ride in a seven was at the age of 12 and 30 years later, the smile is permanently fixed again!

The car is in the shop at the moment and the mechanic used a term that I had to look up. He said that it's running like a "scalded dog" after he re-jetted both the main and idle jets. After looking that up, my smile got even bigger cause hell, it had more power than I knew what to do with before I took it in there!

I'm the fourth owner and I truly hope to take care of it as well as my predecessors. Jeff went out of his way (way out of his way) to ensure that I got the car and I'm now starting to understand why.

I'm hoping to meet a few other owners in the area and have plans to run the dragon this year, if anyone is interested, give me a shout!

Calvin