7/5/07 - Drive to the Dragon

Boxologist

Count me in... I can't remember if I reserved for Wed night too (to get there early to setup or not), or Thursday night. I'm pretty sure it's Thursday night.

If that's the case, I can meet you at Hagerstown, MD at intersection of I-81 and I-70.

Al and I met near that area when we went down to the dragon last november.

I'm going to be driving down the same route, but probably starting from Carlise PA (my brothers) on the 4th...maybe try to see some fireworks in the Charlottesville area or somewhere else off of 81. Since I'm going down with my famiily and the Seven on a trailer (whether rented or purchased, that has yet to be determined) I thought I might break it up a bit. I'll do a bit of reserach on best approaches with trailer (not the Dragon) when I go down in April.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm interested. Plus I'm in Charlottesville. Have a couple of spare beds in the basement, and one space in the garage if anyone needs a stop over. Don't think I'm booked in for Thursday, but will try to put that right.

I'm about 25 mins from GT Classics - happy to talk to Chip about a group visit if folks are interested.

Steve.

64/81 is no problem. GT Classics is by I-64 so its all good.

is there decent sized rest area near there?

how long is the drive thru Shenandoah national park? I was considering driving that road on the trip back.

If it weren't for the 30 MPH speed limit, and the summer traffic, I could make as good a time on that road as on 81 http://www.usa7s.com/aspnetforum/images/emoticons/biggrinjester.gif

But it's not worth the cost http://www.usa7s.com/aspnetforum/images/emoticons/ack2.gifhttp://www.usa7s.com/aspnetforum/images/emoticons/leaving.gif

As I'm probably driving down in the 7, I was thinking of not going down 81. Maybe take 29 South from Charlottesville to Greensboro, then 40 West to Asheville (or 85 from Greensboro to Charlotte - maybe overnite there as I have relatives in town - then 85 back to 40). Local roads from Asheville to Tapoco. Probably take longer, but 81 is one of my least favorite roads on the planet.

• 2 weeks later...

good weekend of developments with the exception of my ebay account getting hacked.

spoke with Skip Cannon, we have our cabin reserved from thursday(5th) night thru monday (9th). So i am definite for road travel on thursday.

just throwing this out, anyone think we could get pics infront of Monticello?

I very much doubt it, but I know someone who works up there so will ask the question. They don't allow cars up to the hilltop (where the house is) anymore - you have to park and take a special bus to the top. It is very well organized and the tours are pretty good.

As I'm probably driving down in the 7, I was thinking of not going down 81. ... 81 is one of my least favorite roads on the planet.

Large trucks bother you huh?   http://www.usa7s.com/aspnetforum/images/emoticons/mad5.gif Me too. Rt 81 is REALLY congested.

If you are looking for an interesting two-lane alternative to I-81 in VA, try Route 42 starting in Woodstock, VA. It parallels 81. We took this trip on the way to the last LOG in Atlanta in '98. There are a few gaps in the route so make sure you map them out beforehand. http://www.usa7s.com/aspnetforum/images/emoticons/wink5.gif

Car and Driver .com used to have an article about the 10 Best Roads of the Southeast (Rt 42 and the Dragon are two of them) on the website archives, but I couldn't find it just now.

• 3 months later...

bump as the time draws near. i plan to gas at a rest that i beleive is exit 3/ philipsburg. and then maybe Chambersburg depending on the range of the cars in the caravan. anyone still interested with metting up?

It looks like I will be leaving very early Thursday morning. My wife gets off work at 3 AM, so we'll probably roll out of here around 4. I can be at the I-64/I-81 interchange around 6. More than likely, I will be on a trailer, although driving is still a possibility.

My nephew is coming as well, and he is one of the tool trucks for the event.

I'll be leaving Charlottesville around 7 am or as soon as the family can motivate. I will probably stop by Ms. Rowe's before getting on 81.

Al, it sounds like we can meet up for breakfast??

Charlottesville about an hour from Ms. Rowe's...I will (God-willing) have the trailer, as well as the family with me.

I don't want to slow you guys down, but a rendez at Ms. Rowes would be fun (and fitting). What time do you project you guys could there by?

Hopefully, I'll have the trailer in time to try taking it through some twisty bits so I'll know if I feel comfortable driving the dragon with it.

The access over from the Skyway isn't much better than the dragon in terms of sharp blind corners. If I'm not feeling confident, I may head over to Asheville on 40 then back across. Though, if we caravan, I'll have you guys to be my "flag cars".

Al, I could give you a route to here that goes through some twisty bits - then if you don't like it you can leave the trailer here and I'll use it :D

Does this mean you would rather have breakfast with Mrs Rowe than with me? I'm gutted :cry: