Registration Law ??s in MA

Beam

Hi Folks,

New guy in MA here. I've been looking for a new project or perhaps a fully built car, and just moved back to MA. I'm really unfamiliar with the registration laws for kits/ replicas as my daily driver is a stock sedan, and I modified cars in states where emissions/ecu checks weren't done. How does this work?

I've noticed a lot of cars for sale sem to have title calims like 1967 replica, etc. Does this mean that the cars are emissions/ ecu testing exempt?

Any firsthand insight would be greatly appreciated:cheers:

Cheers,

Beam

That's my hope; and I did see one in the for sale section registered in MA, but I can't find it now. I was hoping someone here would be able to shed some insight rather than wade through the RMV website.

If there aren't any MA residents that can comment, I suppose I'll throw on my hip waders and get to work :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I have a 2004 Caterham registered in Massachusetts.

By far, the most practical way to get one of these cars registered and on the street is to buy an already registered car from another state.

Then you simply fill out an inter-state transfer with the DMV. Your insuruance company will probably do this for you automatically.

Then all you need to worry about is state inspection (not trival).

Massachusetts will not register your car as a replica. The Factory Five crowd used this trick, but the DMV caught wind of it, and this is not a legal option at this point.

There is a 'limited use' catagory, but this sets limits on how far you can drive per year, etc. Technically, there are also limits on the cars top speed also. This is not the way to go.

My Caterham is registered as a 2004 Caterham, which is a listed make in Mass.

If your building the car from scratch in MA, you should have some very detailed discussions with people who have been through this in MA before you commit to this.

Buy a car that already has a state issued VIN number, then sweat over the inspection process. The Caterham VIN number will not do you any good in MA.

Paul & CSVT- Thank you! This is what I was looking for.

Follow up question(s)- Why is the inspection such a challenge? The OBD2 scan? I was going to build it with an s2000 motor; is this unrealistic given the state inspection?

About inspections in Massachusetts...

If this is the first time the car is being registered (new build), you have two levels of inspections to worry about.

First is a State Police inspection. You will need a receipt for each and every component of the car, in order to prove that no parts from stolen cars have been used in building your kit or custom car.

Secondly you will have to bring the car (on a trailer) to a DMV Tech center for a technical inspection. You will have to show that your completed car exactly matches the design of a productiuon car in terms of emissions. They are going to be concerned about the N/V ratio, that is, the roadspeed versus RPM.

Basically, unless you have a single donor kit, and you transplant the complete drivetrain (including all emissions devices and ECU) your going to be fighting an uphill battle. I spoke with a very helpful Inspector, and he admited that the rules and regulations are so obtuse, the Inspectors did not always understand the point or goal of some of the regulations.

But the bottom line is this, the State will attempt to follow the Fed rules, and the completed car must match a configuration that has an EPA certificate. It is not practical to get a certificate for a single car, and there are no Fed inspectors to issue certificates for kit cars.

If you don't match an existing EPA certificate, no VIN. This is the reason to go single donor in your building a new car in MA. This simplifies the State Police inspection (assuming you have title on the donor), as well as the DMV Tech inspection.

On the other hand, once a car has been issued a VIN, say by another state, then registration is simply a matter of transfering an out of state car and generating the title. Then you go to your local inspection station and get a sticker, by whatever means.

If your car has OBD2 and it will report ready, MIL off, and all monitors complete, your ready for the road.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
I heard Mass had adopted new regulations in the fall or at the end of 2010. Does anyone know what the upshot of that is? Any more comments from people in progress on registrations/inspections?

I just have to inspect my car although its a cobra kit it should still be the same process. MA had a new law go into effect april 30th this year. this allowed me to change my title from composite to replica. for manufactures model year you put the year it was completed the make as replica my model is cobra body style convertable.on the title you also have to put the year it replicates on the title. if you go this way you save yourself a lot of paper work when it comes to inspection. I am almost done with the process if you have any questions let me know it kinda sucked firguring it all out. and i guess the law is also changing next year so hurry up and get it all in order.

Jim

• 1 month later...

I'm importing my 1982 Caterham into Massachusetts in the next couple of months - it is due to be shipped shortly. Given its age, it is exempt from EPA/DoT restrictions - I assume that there will not be a problem getting it registered in MA? I'm getting nervous after reading the posts above.

Aidan

My car was registered successfully in NJ, when the builder convinced the BMV that the X-flow was basically a 1969 Ford Pinto engine and thus exempt from all smog rules. Your engine is older than mine .....

• 7 months later...

I think I posted elsewhere on the site, but I did successfully register my Caterham last October after three trips to the RMV - in the end it wasn't too difficult with correct import and registration papers, but they were a bit anxious about it being grey market (the less experienced RMV staff had to reach out to superiors and otherwise get assistance), and I needed to have the local cops verify the VIN.

It is fantastic to have the car over here though!

Aidan

• 2 weeks later...