Ford/Caterham Duratec 2.0L 220 hp, Dry Sump, Roller Barrel, Motor For Sale

blubarisax

OK, I've finally settled on my winter upgrade. Out with the 220 hp Duratec and in with a Cosworth crate engine.

So, to help fund the upgrade, I am selling my current motor. It has just 1350 (or so) miles on it. The motor was assembled by Ben at Caterham USA to R400 specs of 220 hp. It started with a Ford remanufactured motor from Go Ford in Denver. ($3,800 with core) I added the 175 hp to 220 hp upgrade that included Roller Barrel Intakes, cams, injectors, valve springs and an ECU flash. ($4,400). To finish things off, I had a Caterham Dry Sump installed. ($2,550).

This is a great ride and plenty fast, but I could not resist the sexy Cosworth marketing and my lust for just a touch more power.

Included in the sale is the engine with all the ancillaries, including the engine, intake, dry sump, MBE ECU, engine bay wiring loom, alternator, flywheel, clutch and water pump. Not included are the Dry Sump Titan oil tank, bell housing, cooling/oil hoses. All these parts are easily available from Caterham.

The motor should be available in February, once I get the Cosworth engine in and the Duratec engine out. A NYC area sale would be nice, but I will help with shipping and can put it right in the crate from Cosworth for safe transport.

I am asking $5,000 for everything (plus shipping) and would consider a Quaife Sequential Transmission in trade.

Now is the time to treat yourself for the holiday season! Ho, Ho, Ho...

The motor is sold, thanks for all the interest!

Karl

http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac336/blubarisax/Caterham/th_P1000033.jpg

http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac336/blubarisax/Caterham/th_P1000031.jpg

http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac336/blubarisax/Caterham/th_P1000030.jpg

http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac336/blubarisax/Caterham/th_P1000029.jpg

Edited by blubarisax
Sold!!!

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The plan at the moment is the Cosworh USA spec 2.3L 295 hp motor. It has the Cosworth xl ported head, three stage dry sump, 14:1 forged pistons, forged rods, billet crank, cams, 48mm roller barrel intake and lightweight flywheel. I'm still trying to figure out what to do for a clutch, any ideas?

I may also detune it to 280 hp by using 13:1 compression. Race gas (100+ octane) is a pain to get in New Jersey. The boys at Cosworth USA assure me that even at 295 hp and 14:1 ratios, the engine is still reasonably reliable and manageable on the street.

Keep it on the down low, but I hope to squeak out a few more HP than Mike.

I think Mike is getting the 260 HP Caterham CSR spec motor. Unfortunately, the extra HP advantange over the Caterham 260 HP engine won't be enough to offset my extra weight!

Way to go Karl,

I was looking at Cosworth USA's web site today and they have nice bits for your new engine, should be a screamer.

How's the 6 speed Caterham gearbox going to like the added power, I have no idea of

it's rating. You and Mike are going to be bored waiting for the UNDER TWO HUNDRED CLUB to catch up with you two this spring. LOL

Look forward to hearing it !!!!

blubarisax,

With that compression ratio, do you intend to just race it -- or also drive it where you can find really good gas?

I have the Cosworth 250 hp Duratec 2.3 engine in my car, and I was worried about not being able to obtain premium (91 octane or higher) gas when I drove through British Columbia and Yukon Territory. As I expected, there were several mandatory (every 175 miles or so) stops where the only gas available was regular -- and no choice of stations, either.

However, the car ran fine on it -- no problems. I'm sure that performance was down a bit, but not noticeable on a long tour.

As for the Caterham 6-speed transmission, conventional wisdom in UK is that it is good for 250 hp (and commensurate torque), but not much more.

Ok I will fess up and admit guilt - I did send Karl the Cosworth catalog last weekend....

:D

Yes Mike you did start this with the talk of 300 HP. Just trying to sort out the logistics of getting the motor setup. Ben at Caterham USA has been very helpful.

The anticipated compression ratio is 14:1, but I may drop it to 13:1. 93 octane is easy to get in NJ, and I plan to mix it with race gas as often as I can. There are a couple of places near me that sell 100 octane gas. The guys at Cosworth USA say 93 won't hurt the motor as long as I take it real easy when on non race gas. I plan on trying to avoid driving in the Yukon Territory.

As for the 6-spd, Ben thinks I'll be ok so I am going to roll with it. Hopefully I don't break it.

From my research, the US 295 hp motors are assembled in California with a billet crank, 14:1 compression and 8000 rpm limits. The UK 280 hp motors use the standard ford crank, 7600 rpm and 13:1 ratios. I could be wrong on these specs, but the billet crank is the big cost item, they say it will be bullet proof.

Karl

Edited by blubarisax

How much is this 300 HP lump going to cost? I'm guessing somewhere North of $15k. I tried to find the cost on Cosworth USA's website but no luck.

Is the 300 hp figure at the crankshaft or rear wheels? How about torque figures? A dyno chart of HP and torque would be appreciated.

The biggest differences between the UK Cosworths and the Torrance, California Cosworths are that the California ones incur no stiff import duties or pesky EPA inquiries -- and there is someone stateside to talk to and to correct problems (such as taking the engine back and fixing an internal corrosion problem at no cost to me, except shipping one-way).

Scannon and Sean know all about this story, too.....

Anybody on this side of the Pond have a Duratec built up by Ammo in UK? He offers a lot of varieties, and past experience.

blubarisax,

I meant to ask -- what rear axle ratio are you going to run? As you know. the Caterham 6-speed is direct 1:1 in 6th, so the engine will be spinning pretty lively for road cruising.

The good ol' Quaife QBE22Z is good for HP north of 250. It's a little noisy (square cut, dog box) , but has the balls to stay together with big HP. Reasonably priced as well.

The next logical step would be one of the newer Quaife 80mm 'boxes like the QBE57G H-pattern, or (if you've hit the lotto) a QBE60G sequential. Both good for 375HP, they claim.

Call Taylor race and see what they have to say.

They use the Caterham 6-Spd in the CSR 260 race cars, so I think I'll be OK. If it breaks, then my dear wife will understand that I really have no choice but to upgrade.

Still researching fuel pumps, uprated prop shafts and diff struts.

Alaskossie, did you have to change out your exhaust system? I know the 2.3L is 1/2 inch taller? Any other clearance problems? around the intakes?

For engine/parts specs and pricing info just PM me your email and I'll send out the info I got from Cosworth USA. But I must warn you all, once you look at this motor, you won't be able to stop thinking about it...it's worse than crack

Guest speedcraft

thanks for the comparison. one of things i was wondering if they were UK parts distributed through the US or there is some US manufacturing go on [not just assembly]