Put-In-bay great lakes road race reunion.

southwind25

Wish I could come to this.

When I was a kid my mothers sister live over by Cedar Point Park just outside of Sandusky, their was not a lot of homes out that way in the 60's just the park at the end of the strand. They (my mothers sister and husband) had a cabin cruiser that they would take out when we visited and we go to South Bass Island to visit my mothers sisters husbands family who lived and worked in Put-in Bay. Neat old town with a lot of history as I remember but I did not know they had auto races as that was before I was interested in cars I guess.

Should be an interesting event.

I contacted the event hosts, and they said they would welcome the Birkin into the event. I am not sure what that means yet since the pictures i saw from last year looks like a M.G. reunion.. But perhaps we can add a little color to the BRG! It sounds like they are trying to get this to be a full race at the Airport for next year, but depends on how well recieved the trials are this year..

if we play nice we could have something great here!

I do not think my car is close to 50 yrs old, but it might be a fun one day event to visit. It would be less then a 150 miles for me. I can't tell if the auto-x type track is open to all cars?

Dave W

• 4 weeks later...

From what i am understanding, right now they are going to have several connected events over the 3 days. An island tour using the old race route. A island ralley, and they will be using the airport for an Autocross/gymkhana. and then various dinners and island fun.

I saw some more event footage and pictures from last year and there seems to have been about 2 dozen cars including a lotus 11, various triumphs, a 911, a wierd 911 with a wierd front end, a 65(?) corvette, a big healey 3000, some odd alfa romeo coupe, various mga's TC's TD's, a bullet fendered TC.

• 1 month later...

An update, we are now registered for the event and the 7 will be participating as sponsored by one of the Local Pub's at Put-In-Bay "the Boathouse". The schedule of events is now established and includes dinners, a ralley and an autoxross, as well as laps around the old road course, and laps at speed on what is the proposed new race course being set up on the airport tarmac.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...