1978 Caterham with BDR for sale

craig chima

I realize that I posted the original ad for my Caterham for sale several months ago (that post now found in the middle of page 2 in this section), but now that the car is basically finished I thought that I'd start over with a new thread and pictures. If you need any additional details on the specs of the car please refer to that original ad or feel free to email me directly or give me a call.

With the car finally close to being finished, I took it for a drive this morning and aside from some very minor de-bugging (all will be finished by the end of this weekend) it's spot on and ready to go. The BDR motor is astonishingly strong and all suspension setup work is completed and it runs and drives great.

But given that I'm more or less "helpless" when it comes to computers and can't seem to figure out how to post the current pictures (taken this morning) I've sent them to a friend and asked if he can help so hopefully there will be pix on this site in the next day or two. The price is $25K firm with 2 sets of wheels (the ones seen in the pix with new street tires on them and a set of nearly identical Panasports with centers painted yellow to match the car) with shaved Toyo RA1's for track day or similar use. Since the original ad was posted I have added low oil pressure (red) and high water temp (amber) warning lites to the dash as a precautionary measure and got rid of the old Lucas alternator in favor of a lightweight one more suitable to the car. Car is in Akron Ohio and it's finally stopped raining around here so maybe I'll get to enjoy it for awhile before it sells. Craig (330) 807-0742 or chima97@aol.com

http://www.usa7s.org/vb/images/misc/progress.gif

Here is the link to the first post.

http://usa7s.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5997

1978 Caterham For Sale - chassis number AM 109. This car has been my own personal project for close to the past two years. It is essentially a brand new car from top to bottom, and will be painted (show quality), re-assembled, and fully sorted (including being scaled and balanced) within the next 3 months. I am posting here in advance of it being finished in the event someone is currently looking for a car with a Spring purchase date in mind.

There has been no expense spared on this ultimate hot-rod and when finished it will be “concours” from top to bottom. Here is a brief description of the key components/upgrades.

1760 cc Ford BDR motor on twin 48DCOE Webers. Originally built by Dave Bean Engineering and recently freshened. 10:1 compression and 185+bhp on premium pump gas. Billet crank, Carillo rods, steel main caps, dry sumped, etc, etc. etc. This is a motor that can easily rev to 9000 rpm or beyond. Includes lightweight aluminum flywheel with new heavy duty clutch.

Custom built (CC Motorsports) 4 into 2 into 1 exhaust, (header tube sizes matched to motor output) and freshly Jet Hot coated (silver)

Quaife close ratio transmission with aluminum bellhousing and tailshaft housing. This freshly built transmission has straight cut gears and 2.4:1 first gear and 1:1 4th. Transmission also has custom annular clutch throwout bearing assembly.

Solid rear axle (English Ford) with 3.9 final drive and clutch pack limited slip differential. Rear axle housing has been straightened, strengthened with stego plate, and is located by custom-built lower A-frame with adjustable spherical bearing.

Custom built front suspension using late-model Caterham double a-arms, with CC Motorsports drop spindles in order to lower the car and yet maintain proper suspension geometry. Front suspension also has lightweight aluminum hubs with new bearings, rebuilt calipers and new brake pads.

Custom built rollbar (similar to Caterham FIA bar), suitable for 6’ 2” + drivers made out of 1.5” diameter DOM tubing and powdercoated in a satin black finish

Carbon fibre Caterham aeroscreen with carbon fibre mirrors

All new interior including re-covered dash, refurbished gauges, new under-dash wiring, and re-covered Caterham bench style seats. New rear tonneau cover and dual Simpson 6 point harnesses.

Additional features as follows:

* Spax adjustable shocks (ride height and valving) both front and rear.

* Panasport lightweight 13 x 7 wheels & Toyo Proxes RA1 205x60x13 tires

* New aluminum fuel tank and sending unit

* Re-cored Caterham radiator with 2 lightweight auxiliary cooling fans

* Oil Cooler and Oil Thermostat

* Aeroquip braided lines and AN fittings throughout

* Facit electric fuel pump and Holley fuel pressure regulator

* Remote oil filter assembly

* Super Starter

* New brake and clutch master cylinders

* Lucas Gold Sport Coil

* New (Fall 2010) Odyssey battery and aluminum hold down

* All-new underhood aluminum

I built this car to be a combination street car/ultimate track-day weapon. I have not yet weighed it (as it is not yet finished), but expect it to be in the 1125# to 1150# range. It has new fluids (Brad Penn motor oil, Red Line synthetic trans and diff lube, AP 550 brake fluid) and as mentioned above, it is essentially a brand new car. It was also built with the idea that it would be a relatively “simple” car to maintain (i.e. no computer or related electronics). Craig Chima (330) 807-0742 or chima97@aol.com

*While the car has a valid Caterham chassis tag/data plate, a previous owner chose to title it as an "assembled vehicle" (i.e. kit car) and that registration would go with the car. On the registration/title, it basically says "1990 assembled vehicle." There was a state-issued VIN number tag that was attached to the firewall/scuttle right beneath the Caterham data plate and that VIN matches the registration. I would also imagine that without too much effort, someone could get the car titled as a 1978 Caterham, using the Caterham chassis tag and I.D. number but I never bothered to pursue that option. Hope this helps.

*The chassis has the original powdercoat and I really saw no reason to remove the skin, media blast, and then re-powdercoat it all. There are a few small blemishes in the finish of the frame (to be expected after 30 years of use!), but structurally it is absolutely perfect and straight and true.

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/224622_2025037782857_1151395705_2482742_6726205_n.jpg

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/226878_2025038142866_1151395705_2482743_4667713_n.jpg

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/221984_2025188506625_1151395705_2482981_2637836_n.jpg

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/227539_2025189066639_1151395705_2482983_7322960_n.jpg

Edited by Spaz

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/229549_2025194226768_1151395705_2482985_4398750_n.jpg

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/221822_2025194786782_1151395705_2482986_2482548_n.jpg

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/229198_2025200106915_1151395705_2482989_1123187_n.jpg

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/226816_2025200386922_1151395705_2482990_6961549_n.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Guys,

Just wanted to share some thoughts on this topic as I saw it in person last week while Craig was doing some geometry work on mine. I got a 1270lb reading on the scales and some correct front camber settings to keep me busy while driving home in the rainstorm (sans roof, doors or screen!).

Anyway, Craig's new workshop is enough to make any car enthusiast drool - he has equipment to do pretty much anything himself, and has privacy on his land to keep prying eyes away. The quality of his work is of an extremely high standard, as shown by the other projects under way in there.

His yellow Caterham is a huge amount of car for the money, with the BDR, the quaife H-pattern box etc, and the finish/engineering is of a top class level. If you are thinking about this one, having seen it and driven it for a very short distance, I would have no issues in recommending it. I am very lucky to have a guy with these skills within Ohio!

James

In case anyone is interested, the car is still for sale and I finally got it on the scales tonight and it came out about as expected. 1133# with the road wheels and tires and 1127# with the track wheels and tires. Makes for quite a potent power to weight ratio with the BDR motor. This is a car that will legitimately run upper 130's mph top speed as it sits. Craig

I saw and drove this car Sunday. The pictures do not do it justice. It is extremely pretty in person. The yellow is darker, ditto the red steering wheel. All set off nicely by the black interior and new gauges.

It is basically a new car: everything has been replaced, improved, or reconditioned.

It is a rocket ship! Wow! Talk abt tall 1st gear. Craig said it wld pull 60 mph in 1st. I shifted at 50- mph. I wld guess low 4's in the 0-60. It is quieter than my X-flow. Tho a 4 speed sounds old school, my 1st is so short and 5th so tall that I have 3 useful gears, this car has 4.

Someone shd buy this car now, so I am not further tempted!

Mike, hurry up, you only have two weeks before the track day. Looks like you're stepping up the power to compete with Croc and Karl. :hurray:

I put new decals on mine so that has to be good for 10-15 more hp right?

:willy_nilly:

Tom

Tom:

The difference between my car (which is no slouch) and this car, power-wise, was amazing. It was like being strapped to a rocket.

The alleged handling problems of a solid rear axle car never materialized either, even tho northern Ohio is not noted for its smooth roads.

I do believe this car wld compete with any most any other Caterham, except for the uber dogs of Croc/Karl and the various turbo cars out there.

Mike M

• 1 month later...

Just Google Sevens and Elans and ask abt it. I have no hard info. When I ordered Caterham pars there a week or so ago the owner, Chris, said he was abt to put such a vehicle up for sale. it will probably be more money than Craig Chima's. Seven and Elans' cars always seem to be listed at the high end of the price range.

Happy hunting!

• 5 weeks later...