hope other states follow this example

TALLAHASSEE, Fla., May 6 (UPI) -- Mandatory drug testing for welfare recipients soon will be the law in Florida.

The measure passed the state Senate 26-11 Thursday, The Miami Herald reported, following 78-38 approval by the House in April. Gov. Rick Scott has made it a priority.

"It's fair to taxpayers," the governor said after the vote. "They're paying the bill. And they're often drug screened for their jobs. On top of that, it's good for families. It creates another reason why people will think again before using drugs."

Scott earlier issued an executive order requiring random drug testing of state employees.

The bill makes all adult recipients of federal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families benefits pay for the tests, which usually cost about $35, but those who pass will be reimbursed.

Recipients who test positive for any illicit substances -- after disclosing all prescriptions they take -- will lose benefits for a year. A second failed test will cost them benefits for three years. Parents will have to designate another adult to collect benefits for their children.

The measure provides no funds for drug treatment.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2011/05/06/Florida-orders-drug-testing-to-get-welfare/UPI-27651304695665/#ixzz1Laph1tIh

I would vote for this if it were put to a national vote as we all pay to support those that deserve the assistance and for those that are just down and out not due to their own neglect but then I am told that I am a hard a?s and a red neck to boot.

• 1 month later...

While the intention is valid, I'm afraid Florida will find the cost of testing much more than the money saved denying funds to those on drugs. Good for drug testing labs I guess... but how many do they think they will find? This is not one of those "if we only find one, it will be justified" type of things. Nor "it will send a message to drug users". It'll just demonstrate another case of conservatives wasting money on ideology.

Wouldn't it be better to use that drug testing money putting those "able-bodied" unemployed to work doing something for the community (actually they should use the money they're already paying those on public assistance). At least it would make them feel like they're earning the money and perhaps give them a little self-esteem.

And all State employees being drug tested too? Isn't that kind of a presumed guilty kind of thing? This will be even more of a waste of taxpayer money.

I understand a drug test initially (they do that for truck drivers, oilwell workers etc...) and maybe randomly for some super critical jobs but after that it should be for cause... like a vehicle accident, behavior issues etc..

I'm getting tired of all this demonizing of government workers, and of government in general. Our largest problems lately have come from deregulation of Wall St, big corporations scamming/lobbying etc... Also our own voting for politicians that don't have the middle class as their priority. We all can't be entrepreneurs, business owners, blue bloods etc... we've been giving them breaks for 30 years and it hasn't benefitted the middle class. We've been stagnant as the rich get richer. The vast majority of us are workers (even in government). We, the voters, need to take much of this blame.

Ok, off the soapbox...

I'm getting tired of all this demonizing of government workers, and of government in general.

As a Gov Employee, I agree! I do support the bill though, but again I'm bias in that I have a high clearance which mandates drug testing in addition to random polygraph. I agree because I believe that Government employees should be held to a higher standard. Once upon a time "made to government standards" used to mean something... Now its thought of as "made by the lowest bidder."

For those not employed... I'd have to see the metrics after a couple quarters. Does the end justify the means? It sounds good in principal but at $35 a pop, does it actually fix a problem?

K, it does not have to be EVERY recipient... how about random drug testing?

And IMO this money will not be put to better use by government paying the unemployed to work for the government - That will become another government program that will need to be funded endlessly.

You can put me in the category of people who have a fundamental problem with welfare benefits going to anything beyond the very essentials of living - basic foods, medicine, etc... The easier you make it to live on welfare, the more you encourage it.

Agreed on "we the voters" part... cracks me up when people complain about "Washington" - like the representatives magically just show up here.

• 2 weeks later...