Project Beatrice. (1999 Birkin S3)

Jackal

......carefull with the Birkin glass as its heated I broke mine and had it replaced with normal glass and I sure do miss the heated fron screen.

That's why I think I'll wait. I have a long list of parts needed to complete the build, and I'd rather not chance spending more on a part that is in good condition now. I'll wait until the windshield needs replacing and get the frame powder coated then.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Neat tip. Might want to cover up the button snaps if you plan on using the top.

I did end up painting over the snaps, but I experimented with the snaps first. I found that if the snaps were unprepped the plasi-dip came off easily. I plan in running a blade over the edge of the snaps to cut through the plasti-dip, and then peel off the outside bits. With a good sharp blade I'll cut the rings at the base of each snap as well, to ensure no runs when I pull off the dip.

Not a lot of progress happening this past month with Trixxy. I have finished the breather system for the tank, the easy way. I have t'd the fuel filler neck to the top breather, and run the hose to the side of the car where I will have a tip over valve in place, and a small filter to prevent bugs getting in.

I will next be putting in the fuel filler cap. I had a filler on the car when I got it, but no keys for it. I cut the rivets on the old one and set out to get a new one that looked a little better. I'll have to widen the hole for it, but I think it is a much better look.

I also got to donate some time to the headlight assemblies, and may have gone a little overboard. I "western union" stagger spliced the wires for both the headlight and the signal, and then soldered them for good measure. After a covering of waterproof heat shrink, I encased all the wires in a heat shrink. From there I intend to loom the wires and put a final covering of heat shrink on the loom, all the way up to the base of the nut on the hollow bolt for the bucket. It may be overkill, but I'm hoping I won't have to do it again soon.

photo (20).jpg

photo (22).jpg

Edited by Jackal

Cool !!! Your wife let's you bring car parts inside...

Yes, but not without a few words about it. We rent a condo, and a garage. Since it's a bit of a pain getting to the garage every time I need to, she lets me bring projects home.

• 1 month later...

Finally got some good sticky rubber for Beatrice. Found some Toyo's on the Locostusa site, and decided the price was too good to pass up. Only three tires for now, but I have a line on two more.

photo (22).jpg

Don't I know it. Time is moving too fast for me to keep up, yet I can't wait.

I have the harnesses on route now. I am trying to get the Alternator mount sorted, and the Intake will be ordered at the beginning of Feb.

Today Ill be continuing the electrical, and sorting out the dogs breakfast it looks now. I removed some of the electrical tape on a bit of the harness the other day, and I was surprised to see labels on the wire. I have not toned any to see if they are accurate, and I don't know if any more than the couple I looked at are actually labelled. I plan on removing all the tape to start fresh. It just seems easier that way.

YU a better man than I am............my car is sat in a neighbors barn right now.. we had ahuge wind storm here a couple of weeks ago which took the plastic car canopy off my car and deposited it in the middle of the road along with a bunch of tools and spare parts. Some gaskets never to be seen again. my new block and re fettled head are downstairs waiting to be re-assembled.. the race is on for me too, much to do and life keeps getting in the way.

Yesterday I made the trip out to pick up the last of the parts I needed from the guy I purchased the car from. I did this despite feeling under the weather for the last little while. I picked up the shorter stock rollbar, and the two tops for her. I got both the Birkini top and the full roof for Beatrice.

It does open the question for me on how the roof bar mounts. By roof bar, I mean the one that gets assembled and then velcro'd to the tops. I don't have any receivers for the bar in the roll bar, and I don't have any hinges that the bar should fit into. Are there bosses for the bar hidden under the sheet aluminum that wraps the frame. Would anyone have some pictures of how the bottom of the bar mounts to the car?

Is there any interest in the sport roll bar that I now have extra? I have not installed the bar, but it has the odd bit if scuffing from being moved around so much over the 12 years it has been following the car around.

It does open the question for me on how the roof bar mounts. By roof bar, I mean the one that gets assembled and then velcro'd to the tops. I don't have any receivers for the bar in the roll bar, and I don't have any hinges that the bar should fit into. Are there bosses for the bar hidden under the sheet aluminum that wraps the frame. Would anyone have some pictures of how the bottom of the bar mounts to the car?

On mine (2001) the outer, forward roll-bar mounting bolts are hex heads. The pointed ends of the hood bar sit nicely in those and are held there by the tension of the hood. I don't know if that's the way it's supposed to be, but it works for me. :)

Randall

On mine (2001) the outer, forward roll-bar mounting bolts are hex heads. The pointed ends of the hood bar sit nicely in those and are held there by the tension of the hood. I don't know if that's the way it's supposed to be, but it works for me. :)

Randall

I looked at that, but I think I'll have to shorten the bar by about an inch on either side. That affects the way the top fits though. I think the top and the bar I have may be for the IRS Birkin that is a touch wider than my LA. I have been searching the internet (with no luck) for pictures of the reccomended set up. I want to have a look at the parts involved before I modify anything.

On my 03 Birkin the top bars for the Birkini and the regular top fit snugly into an angled hole in the roll bar base just in front of the roll bar...the rods appear to be the same. I had trouble getting the Birkini straps to attach...they were way too short to reach the snaps...I ended up soaking the straps and top in water and hanging a gallon jug of antifreeze from the straps overnite...they stretched to the proper length. I had to do the same process to the top.

Edited by MBEARDEN
addition

Jackal - Here's some pics of my 2001 Birkin and the way the top frame mounts to the rollbar flange. The first pic is of the passenger side rollbar flange with the trunk cover moved out of the way to show how it mounts to the spaceframe flange with countersunk allen head bolts.

Picture 005.jpg

Picture 007.jpg

On my 03 Birkin the top bars for the Birkini and the regular top fit snugly into an angled hole in the roll bar base just in front of the roll bar...the rods appear to be the same.

I just got home and checked, and you are correct. There are holes in front of the roll bar. I don't know how I missed them before. I have to bend the bar a bit to get the ends in the holes, but it works. I even velcro'd on the top to have a look at the top, and it seems to be correct.

I guess I'll just rack it up as a "stupid me" moment. :leaving:

Oh, and thanks everyone. I have a feeling it will not be the last time I will need help, and definitely not the last "stupid me" moment.

Edited by Jackal
Adding thanks

Hmmm. I have bolts in those holes. DPOs do weird things.

I feel that may be where my confusion set in. I would swear the taller sport roll bar I have uses bolts in those holes.

Tonight I'll continue to tear into the chassis harness. I pulled out all the wire from behind the dash, to the relay plate last time. I just hung it over the dash as I was relabeling it all.

I have the front lights mounted to the car and ready to connect to the chassis harness. Are you folks using a connector that you build to connect under the hood, or hard splicing the connection points? I don't see much reason for an additional connection point here, as the main point of disconnect is only a couple feet away in the headlight bucket. If your experiences have leaded you to advise making a connector, what ones do you prefer?

I also mangaed to get the breather sorted for the tank. the other day.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l294/nivaguy/7710ab2d.jpg

Edited by Jackal
spell check

• 3 weeks later...

Life has been getting in the way of my build recently. Work trips, and other social commitments have prevented me from getting on it like I would like. Last weekend I managed to get some work done on the electrical system.

When I first got her, I noticed that there were some holes in the dash that were unevenly spaced, out of round, or just looking like they were hacked at with a chain saw by a blind chimpanzee. Several of the gauges are rubbing against the frame behind the dash plate and preventing them from sitting flush in the dash. This annoys me to no end, but I realize that I have most of the parts and changing parts here is not essencial to getting her running. Still though, I am looking at eventually getting a super gauge from Stack. Compared to what I have currently, the Stack is super sexy.

This...

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l294/nivaguy/e0a18994.jpg

Or this?

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l294/nivaguy/a25519d9.jpg

The work on the electrical system today consisted of removing all the ten year old electrical tape that is deteriorating on the wires. I started with removing the tape, but may have gotten a bit carried away. I ended up removing all the tape, but followed up by removing the relays, the plugs, the fuse boxes, and eventually all the wire itself.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l294/nivaguy/3e5e3612.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l294/nivaguy/c68e5712.jpg

I have started a webspace detailing the build to date. I tend to update it before here. Have a look and let me know what you think. Comments are welcome.

http://lennardj.shawwebspace.ca

• 2 weeks later...

Parts are still rolling in. I managed to pick up a starter yesterday, and I ordered the intake early this week. Various switches and connectors arrived yesterday.

The only part I'm having a challenge with is the Raceline Alternator bracket I ordered from a new Raceline vendor in the States. Three weeks (to the day) since I paid the invoice, and I have had no communication from the vendor. :banghead:

I decided on the Jenvey intake for my Beatrice, and a Haltech 1000 for the ECU. I have the stock ECU and harness for the Zetec, but after doing some searching and chatting about the setup, I have concluded the Haltech will give me more room to grow, with a smoother install with a raw harness.

I am still working on the chassis harness on the kitchen table at home, but I should be moving it over to the car this weekend. I was let in on a secret that I may be getting a carbon fiber dash for my birthday, so I may only be able to sort out the harness to the fuse and connection blocks because I intend on moving some of the lights and switches around. I picked up a complete trouble light kit from europaspares.co.uk and feel it will be a greatway to get all my lighting needs met in a compact package. I also want to do a bank of simple toggle switches /guards in the middle of the dash, under the other gauges. I think it should be a clean look, but now I have to wait for the dash to arrive. :driving: