Project Beatrice. (1999 Birkin S3)

Jackal

Following the build with interest, keep the updates coming. Waiting for the parts to arrive is murder.. hope your new dash arrives soon. Looking forward to seeing Beatrice on the road this spring!!

It drives me bonkers waiting for parts. I think I'll go ahead and get the dash board done while I wait for the intake.

Unfortunately I heard back from the vendor in the states that deals in Raceline, and he just gave me a refund. A stand up thing to do I guess, but I'm still out an alternator bracket. :banghead: I guess I'll look across the pond for the part, and go from there. A little setback, but nothing to panic about yet.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That sucks that you have to wait again.. I am in the process of rebuilding my engine but using a 1.9 block instead of the 1.6 . The frustration of getting parts when ford has so many combinations of parts for the same engine. I do understand the waiting game.

You might try callling the guys at raceline direct. It's a two-man operation and they tend to focus more on projects than answering the phone. That said, I like their products and when they do arrive, they look great. I too tried their alternator bracket on my zetec 1 and zetec3 powered Birkin. However, I found that the Birkin has a diagonal frame brace that runs essentially from the front upper radiator frame brace to the right front upper frame rail (near the suspension shock mount) that prevented me from using their alternator bracket. (I'd even bought their alternator) So after months phone calls, emails and waiting, I finally received the bracket and realized it wouldnt work and sent it back. Oh and getting my money back took just as long...

Beware of the minor differences between the Birkin and Catarham. This one has proven to be a real pain for me. I ended up buying a very small 60 amp racing alternator and untilized the mounting lug on the alternator body to mount directly to the block face. Way too simple...

I can take a picture if you like.

Dunnel has a similar alternator bracket and alternator assembly that might work, but I never tried it in the end.

good luck with the build

Jason

You might try callling the guys at raceline direct. It's a two-man operation and they tend to focus more on projects than answering the phone. That said, I like their products and when they do arrive, they look great. I too tried their alternator bracket on my zetec 1 and zetec3 powered Birkin. However, I found that the Birkin has a diagonal frame brace that runs essentially from the front upper radiator frame brace to the right front upper frame rail (near the suspension shock mount) that prevented me from using their alternator bracket. (I'd even bought their alternator) So after months phone calls, emails and waiting, I finally received the bracket and realized it wouldnt work and sent it back. Oh and getting my money back took just as long...

Beware of the minor differences between the Birkin and Catarham. This one has proven to be a real pain for me. I ended up buying a very small 60 amp racing alternator and untilized the mounting lug on the alternator body to mount directly to the block face. Way too simple...

I can take a picture if you like.

Dunnel has a similar alternator bracket and alternator assembly that might work, but I never tried it in the end.

good luck with the build

Jason

I have been waiting to hear back from the Raceline for a few days now, but I know that I have the same cross brace that you mention. I haven't got months to get it running, and would like a confirmed solution on the quicker side of things.

I am very interested in other solutions to the challenge, and your solution in particular. Would you be able to provide a pic or two on your solution? Where did you find the alternator for this application?

I will also look into the Dunnel solutution. This is the first I have heard of Dunnel, but from first glance, they seem to have some good solutions.

Thanks for the input Jason.

I thought the Dunnel solution would work as well, but after speaking to Paul (Dunnel) he had his doubts. That is why I ended up with my own simple solution. I'll take pics tonight and post asap.

rgds

Jason

Here are some photos. The parts I utilized were the idler pulley from race line (but others should work as it's a static part), a camshaft timing belt tensioner pulley (Ford 6k254) a solid alloy spacer I turned down from some bar stock I had around, (anything will work, it just acts as a spacer for the tensioner pulley), 6 rib micro v belt 400j6 from belt palace.com, and a Denso 60 amp mini racing alternator (powermaster pn p668162 or similar as I found on eBay for a lot less).

I hope the pictures help explain how I solved the problem. It simple, robust, and very lightweight.

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions.

Jason

Here are some photos. The parts I utilized were the idler pulley from race line (but others should work as it's a static part), a camshaft timing belt tensioner pulley (Ford 6k254) a solid alloy spacer I turned down from some bar stock I had around, (anything will work, it just acts as a spacer for the tensioner pulley), 6 rib micro v belt 400j6 from belt palace.com, and a Denso 60 amp mini racing alternator (powermaster pn p668162 or similar as I found on eBay for a lot less).

I hope the pictures help explain how I solved the problem. It simple, robust, and very lightweight.

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions.

Jason

Thank you Jason. :cheers: Looks like a great solution, and without question, one that will work.

I managed to locate another kit for the Zetec that is out there, and it looks to use a similar Alternator. It is available on Kitspares.co.uk.

I'll be costing out the solutions and hopefully having something positive to report in the very near future. As mentioned before, I have wrestled with this particular set of parts for a while now, and have felt anxious about getting it sorted.

I hear ya. It had me dead in my tracks for months. With limited time and fabrication resources, I searched high and low for an "off the shelf" solution. I did see a photo of an alternator that was mounted on a plate and faced the engine. The benefit being that our cars have plenty of room under the nose cone. It was a one-off setup, but a neat idea regardless.

Keep us updated on your progress.

Jason

To keep busy with the build while waiting for the intake, cooling system parts and an alternator solution, I figured I'd keep busy with the chassis harness. I took all the dash harness out and started cleaning it up a bit.

Despite a blinding hangover I made my way over to the shop to get the wiring sorted. Here's a look at the direction its going.

photo.jpg

Finally parts started rolling in.

In this batch;

Start button

Dip stick and tube

Side view mirrors

Carbon Fiber dashboard

Thermostat relocation kit

Cooling pipes

Various elbows and fittings

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l294/nivaguy/IMG_1245.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l294/nivaguy/IMG_1251.jpg

Looks like Christmas and birthday all in one. You are going to be busy.....

Finally I can be busy. I still have the intake coming, a few little bits for the rear brake lines, and the switches for the dash.

I'll be ordering the alternator solution within the week, and the Haltech ECU at the end of the month. That should be all the big parts ordered, and just little fittings that are still needed.

http://www.canems.co.uk/ My mate Pete in the UK has just got a full ecu unit from these people, price seems pretty good, he paid approx 380.00 for the whole kit, fully programmed for his engine. Don't know if thats of interest to you or not, really enjoying seeing your progress reports. I have contacted a machine shop in Crossfield that will do the work on my Cam for me, should have the head back on in time for a spring blat. Says he...toungue in cheek, both fingers crossed.

I managed to get the thermostat relocate mounted over the weekend, but that's about it. The water rail is supposed to mount to the side of the head, just under the cover. I have one of the holes needed, but not the other. Further to that, the one hole that is there, is the wrong size. I grabbed a tap set yesterdayand plan on getting the cooling system sorted this week. I prefer the GBS solution to the Birkin solution which is a spacer for the origional thermostat.

photo (26).jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The big shipment I was waiting for.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l294/nivaguy/IMG_1264.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l294/nivaguy/IMG_1259.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l294/nivaguy/IMG_1258.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l294/nivaguy/IMG_1255.jpg