FORSALE 2007 Caterham CSR260

doublesnaggle

My family ordered this car through the Denver dealership in 2007. We paid about $95,000 with taxes and import fees. The car was mostly assembled in Seattle and then trucked to Denver where they finished all the setup and verification. 8500 Miles total now. Has the two tops, one full and one half top. Jack kit. Cosworth 2.3 Rolling Barrel Throttle bodies. Full screen, heat and windshield wipers. Right hand drive. Odyssey battery and alloy locking gas cap. Caterham cloth seats and 4 point harness. New speedo. Radar and motion alarm system with pager. Color matched fenders, and chrome headlights.

The fender in getting painted will be done by about Tuesday. The car is in getting detailed back to showroom, as thats where its headed if I don't sell it by Wednesday, then Park Place Motors in Bellevue washington is going to sell it and mark it up from 67k.

Its titled for street use, comes plated and is free and clear in my name.

Here are a few pics I could dig up quickly.

doublesnaggle

you can email me if you're interested doublesnaggle@gmail.com

If it doesn't say sold, it isn't. Thx for looking!

Edited by doublesnaggle

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow Snaggles,God Bess ya and all but....

First off to sell a 7 here or anywhere by this coming Weds is a bit hopeful to say the least,, partic in this price range, which is about as high as they get.

You paid $95 K on an 07 RHD ...did you import it direct from UK?, what is the history and spec on the car, if is it registered and titled in what state and as what?

You need some better pics and info to attempt to sell a car in that price range on here.

I think that if you want $70 K on a car like this it helps to have it complete with all information and a lot of quality pics.How did it get banged up?

So if you sell it via Park Place will they not take a big percentage?

What is your selling price on here...$67000.00 US dollars ?where is the car located for viewing?

Oh, and with response to your original post re: what is my car worth I would have to say no where near as much as you might think.

Edited by rikker

Up front, I'm not a buyer at that price, but if you are willing, would you be willing to break down how the original tab got up to $95k for those of us with $20k older cars?

(Understandable if you'd rather not)

Cheers

To save Doublesnaggle the pain of breaking it what he spent, let me explain how much it would cost today for at least the major pieces:

$46,125 Kit from Caterham USA

$1,500 Shipping and customs (kit only)

$17,000 Cosworth Duratec 260 with the roller barrel & ancilliaries

$5,000 Caterham 6 speed transmission (motor and trans incl customs)

$5,000 Assembly (excludes shipping to Denver & back for susp. set up)

$1,850 Non-metallic paint

$1,400 LSD (not sure if this one has it or not?) - needed in this model

$1,700 Full weather equipment (sidescreens, hood, hood sticks)

$79,500 At this point.

I have not listed some of the other options that are advertised and I bet there are others that are not listed. I would not be surprised if there is another $7-10k in options not mentioned that I could not glean from the ad and pictures. If you tick every option box on the CSR list today you get to $95k region excluding assembly and suspension set up. Because of the complexity of the CSR kit, they do not generally sell it for individuals to construct without professional assistance.

The real issue with the price of Caterhams is that their price varies significantly with the FX rate to the UK. Between when I bought my Cosworth engine/transmission in Dec 2010 and today there is a $5000 price increase, almost solely due to foreign exchange fluctuations.

As for the asking price of $67k, I will say it is just about the cheapest CSR that has come on to the US/Canadian market that I can discover. The Seven & Elans CSR was advertised at $69k with less options and sold for slightly less than asking.

So you may not be able to justify the cost/value for money equation yourselves but that is fine since it is the potential buyer and seller that have to rationalize it, not us in the peanut gallery. Please refrain from being publicly critical just because he has more car than you can justify. :grouphug:

Now if people are trying to understand why a CSR is so much better than a regular seven, then you have to drive it yourself to understand. It is not all all about the Cosworth engine. It is more about the incredible capacity of the car with its inboard front suspension and independent rear suspension. It is light years ahead of my old 2004 SV in abilities and was tested as faster than a R500 around the Top Gear UK test track with essentially the same horsepower and a small weight penalty. The addition of the Cosworth engine is just icing on top of a very tasty package.

Edited by Croc

It's a rare, powerful and relatively inexpensive (compared to new), top-of-the-line Caterham that has, at 8.5K miles, been thoroughly debugged. For the rare, powerful and undeniably affluent buyer, it's perfect.

The car was mostly reassembled in Seattle and then trucked to Denver where they finished all the setup and verification.

What is meant by reassembled? Is this the CSR that was wrecked and required a new frame?

The real issue with the price of Caterhams is that their price varies significantly with the FX rate to the UK. Between when I bought my Cosworth engine/transmission in Dec 2010 and today there is a $5000 price increase, almost solely due to foreign exchange fluctuations.

As for the asking price of $67k, I will say it is just about the cheapest CSR that has come on to the US/Canadian market that I can discover. The Seven & Elans CSR was advertised at $69k with less options and sold for slightly less than asking.

So you may not be able to justify the cost/value for money equation yourselves but that is fine since it is the potential buyer and seller that have to rationalize it, not us in the peanut gallery. Please refrain from being publicly critical just because he has more car than you can justify. :grouphug:

Now if people are trying to understand why a CSR is so much better than a regular seven, then you have to drive it yourself to understand. It is not all all about the Cosworth engine. It is more about the incredible capacity of the car with its inboard front suspension and independent rear suspension. It is light years ahead of my old 2004 SV in abilities and was tested as faster than a R500 around the Top Gear UK test track with essentially the same horsepower and a small weight penalty. The addition of the Cosworth engine is just icing on top of a very tasty package.

Very well stated Mike (CROC). I agree even if I can not afford such a car Doublesnaggle's CSR is a good buy if you just take into mind that the exchange rate and build time factors and that it is already titled and here in the USA. Should make someone a good street / track car as that is what the CSR are ment to be but that is just my belief.

Reassembled... From what I understood from my late grandfather is that the CSR was built in England, torn apart and shipped to him to reassemble and then he shipped it to Denver to finish the last 6 or so hours of setup and testing. He has owned Caterhams and Lotus 7 his entire life. My family received both of his current Caterhams. This is one of them. There is no other more meticulous Caterham owner out there. He wasn't interested in racing or tracking the car. He was interested in the love of the cars.

Anyway... I haven't set a price. Park Place is going to take the car next week sometime and price it around or above 67K. I thought Id be nice and put it on this forum and give you guys the chance to be interested before I give it to the dealership to deal with.

I have the invoice and receipts and options list, Ill post it if someone wants.

yikes, who pee-ed in your corn flakes? wasn't being critical whatsoever, just amazed that it was possible to spend that much, as I am the owner of a very low spec version, and merely curious... perhaps "lighten up" applies here?

-- the peanut gallery

Ian - With that paragraph I was referring to the post above yours...

Snaggles in earlier posts was asking for input on prices etc;and by the way, how do you know what my, or any other members financial situation is.

The points raised are I believe valid ,not just for this car but any in this price range.I am sure that even you would concede that in this market an exotic car is worth what a buyer is willing to offer and then accepted by a seller.This is a very rare car with a small group of qualified buyers and it is RHD.

It did and does need full specs,pics and info to present the car in it's best light.

The time scale to sell a car in 3 days on here is very small, maybe it would do better with such limits on Hemmings or Ebay.

Anyways Snaggles I wish you the best of luck in your venture.

Maybe KittyKat could hook you up with the mysterious and wealthy Tony V.

Don't pull it, the comments have been made and explained, controversy should be over. Posting a list of the line items would be helpful to those who are interested in purchasing, everyone who is interested will ask for alll the options.

Good luck on selling the car, and thank you for posting it here so USA 7 lovers can have an opportunity to get in on a purchase befor the general public.

I don't think you should pull the ad, as this is likely to be about the best possible place to find the right buyer. And it sounds like a great car! But I would suggest a few changes. PM sent.

What is meant by reassembled? Is this the CSR that was wrecked and required a new frame?

Skip,

That CSR you are referring to (that was wrecked in a race) was a Seattle-area car, and it was yellow (I saw it at RMSC in Denver, and borrowed one of its rear wheels/tires to test-fit on my SIII, and later and your SV). But the fellows who owned it were a father-son team who did a lot of racing (the son was driving when it flipped on a wet track).

From doublesnaggle's description, his grandfather did not use his Sevens for competition. So apparently this is not the car you referred to.

Wow, a CSR260. I have been lurking here and enjoying the pictures of Croc's car and now this. I really appreciate that Croc provided a breakdown of the components and I now have a better understanding of the cost of a new Caterham. Without question, the best deal is had in the used car marketplace, and most first-time buyers of a Caterham will opt for the Caterhams on the lesser priced end of the spectrum. The most likely buyer for a CSR260 is someone who already owns a Caterham and who can appreciate the features of this incredible vehicle.

HOWEVER, given the extreme rarity of the CSR260 and its absolute uniqueness, someone may just pony up the money, because they can.

As for me, I am going out to buy a lottery ticket and hopefully it hits at the just the right moment when the right Caterham comes available.

vincesf

Edited by vincesf