Recommendations for newbie buyer

Hi There,

I am interested in getting into a car like this for weekend fun and local car club events, etc. I have never driven a 7. I have spent a fair amount of time driving a Corolla gts twincam 4AGE, definitely slower but still lots of fun, especially sideways.

I would like some advice on what to look for and where to go to buy 7. By that I mean Caterham/Birkin/Stalker (any others?). I am not interested in a new car nor am I interested in doing a build, too many other projects on the go and this is supposed to be adrenaline laced stress relief :).

I realize there are some very passionate and experienced ppl on this board, so I'm interested in your advice, and what you'd do differently.

cheers,

Rob.

Edited by rdymond

There's no point asking me everybody on this forum knows I biased. By a Caterham.

Oh the Shock! I would never have guessed Terry....:smilielol5:

Try to get a ride in a few different types of 7's that will help you to decide.

As for me, I am not biased at all. Buy a Westfield. :jester:

Hi There,

I am interested in getting into a car like this for weekend fun and local car club events, etc. I have never driven a 7. I have spent a fair amount of time driving a Corolla gts twincam 4AGE, definitely slower but still lots of fun, especially sideways.

I would like some advice on what to look for and where to go to buy 7. By that I mean Caterham/Birkin/Stalker (any others?). I am not interested in a new car nor am I interested in doing a build, too many other projects on the go and this is supposed to be adrenaline laced stress relief :).

I realize there are some very passionate and experienced ppl on this board, so I'm interested in your advice, and what you'd do differently.

cheers,

Rob.

Your location would help. Find all the local se7en owners and see the cars up close. Knowing the fit of you and the car is critical. How much convertible driving have u done, because driving a se7en is way beyond my Miata. Once car is a joy for a half hour at a time, the other can go across the country in 3 days.

No, I don't know which is which:banghead:

I agree... try as many Sevens as you can...I started looking for a Caterham and ended up with a Birkin...to me it got down to how much I felt like spending for a nice toy...The hard thing about prices is that there are not enough sales to establish a guideline...no blue book... I wanted a Zetec engined car. The Caterhams seemed to be $5,000 or $7000 more than a comparable Birkin...my 03 Birkin Zetec came in at $22k with 5600 miles. The Birkin seats were damaged and were miserable anyway...I replaced them with Caterham seats which are great.

I think your best bet is to get out and test drive some, and get rides with others in your area. I was very fortunate to have some great members here seal the deal on getting a Se7en.

My rather limited knowledge tells me that most of these types of cars will feel the same on the road, just fit the person slightly differently. Get out to the events and hitch rides with folks who have them, and go in with a short list of needs you expect out of a Se7en to be sure you find one that ticks all the right boxes.

OK Sounds like the advice is to go and try. I am in Richmond, central Virginia. Any suggestions where to hunt rides?

I just got a call and found out that at 6'3" and 36" inseam I am too tall for a classic model, and that an SV would fit.

No I am not looking for a car to drive across country. :) At least not here. From all the reading I have been doing these cars are what I am looking for, but reading is different than driving.

Leads to cars for sale are welcome.

cheers,

Robin

An S3 will be a tight fit for you then. Stalkers and Westfeilds are a bit bigger than the S3. I am only 5'6" and the S3 Birkin fits me like a glove with the pedals all the way back.

As for hunting a ride, try the regional sections of this forum, and see if you can make a meet or event.

Guest Terry
Super 7 Cars, the Canadian Caterham distubutor, made this video on the CSR. Turn up the volume and enjoy:
[/url]

The red car at the beginning of the movie is one of our Hayabusa Cars

Good to see guys are making these in Canada in case I move back. Though the first lotus 7 I saw in Canada was in 1982, so perhaps it is not an issue...

Can anyone recommend some mid atlantic car events or brit car events this summer? I saw the hyper fest link, just wondering if there are others in the RIC area.

Check out the NJMP event 6/26-27. See the thread under Northeast Region section towards the bottom of this forum. Should be a little of everything and lots of friendly drivers trying to get you to drink the se7en coolaid:).

Edited by Kitcat

• 3 weeks later...

Impressively quick work! Congratulations. Now show us the photos - we all like to see the cars!:hurray:

If you are having issues with registration then there is a good community of seveners in the DC area not that far away from you with plenty in VA. If no one chimes in on this post, send a PM to Slngsht as he will know someone who can give you the scoop on VA registration fun.