Birkin vs. caterham body parts

edxdoc

I folks...I need some of my experts to help me out. I'm interested to know if some body parts from caterham (non sv) would fit the original birkin? I'm interested in some carbon side doors, half tonneau, and rear cover. These are made to fit the cat....aren't the birkin and the cat models essentially series 3 copies. If so these should fit?

Thanks, don

The guy, LOL!

I can say that while the cars are visually simlar, they are different in critical areas. For instance, when I tried to put my official Caterham Brooklands screens on my Birkin it was all wrong, a bit too wide, wrong shape.

When I put my official Caterham carbon fiber Tilet seat into the Birkin, the Birkin was too narrow. After I removed the intertior panels from the Birkin if freed up enough room for the seat.

So, doors, who knows? There IS a lot of overlap with the body so perhaps precise fitament isnt critical. I no longer have Caterham doors (side screens) as current Cat is track only.

And dont ask Texas Moror Works, they should know, but dont (told me the brooklands wld just drop right in-not!).

Edited by Kitcat

Don: I know nothing about the early Birkins, and (sadly) have nearly zero mechanical skills/knowledge. I wld suggest googling "birkin owners group", and posting your question there. It's a Yahoo based discussion group on all things Birkin.

Maybe also post here with a new topic heading, as there are many much more mechanically inlined/knowledgeable Birkin owners here as well.

Brake upgrade may not be essential. Have you had issues? My experience is our cars are so light and have so much wind resistance that just lifting off the accelerator is often enough. And the fronts do 80% of the braking anyhow.Just a thot.

do you have any experience w brake upgrades for an early birkin....I'd like four wheel discs...thanks

Don

KiwiBirkin did a brake upgrade on his birkin. See the posts about halfway down this page:

http://www.usa7s.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3305&highlight=birkin+brake&page=14

Drop him a PM if you need more information.

Hi kitcat.....my old birkin has what consider relatively small rotors w wilwood calipers and Ate rear drums. Maybe mt bike racing experience with twin 320mm brembo discs has me jaded but late braking in the 7 just doesn't seem to have the feel I want. I think I'll look into the conversion kit. Thanks to you and croc for your highly valued input

Cheers

Don

• 3 weeks later...

So quick question regarding Birkin vs Caterham.

I had heard at some point all Birkins were equivalent to an SV? Is that a myth? If they are not, what is the SV version of the Birkin?

And while I am at it, is Long Wheel Base (LWB) the term for the older Caterhams that had a longer cockpit? And does widetrack imply anything to do with SV and do all SV’s have a widetrack? Ok, that was not a quick question.

So quick question regarding Birkin vs Caterham.

I had heard at some point all Birkins were equivalent to an SV? Is that a myth? If they are not, what is the SV version of the Birkin?

And while I am at it, is Long Wheel Base (LWB) the term for the older Caterhams that had a longer cockpit? And does widetrack imply anything to do with SV and do all SV’s have a widetrack? Ok, that was not a quick question.

The SV or Series 5 (aka Sumo Version or Fat Bastard) is 4 inches wider than the standard S3 Caterham and a few inches longer too. I beleive that all Birkins are S3 size.

The Long Cockpit Caterhams are the newer style since about 1986 I beleive. Kitcat has both an S3 Caterham and a newer Birkin, says that he believes the Birkin Chassis is the older Short Cockpit type. with less leg room.

The wide track upgrade is comprised of wider front wishbones and longer shocks. This upgrade increases the width of the front track to that of the rear, supposedly aiding handling. I "think"all SVs are widetrack, but I know that not all S3s are.

Tom

I'm 6'1" with size 11s and fit fine in the S3, althought I did put on the tall rollbar for a little more room over the helmet for on track. When I sit in Karl or Croc's SV/CSR's they certainly provide much more room both in the footwell and the seat, but i feel more secure in my S3, vs, the SV, that is, I'm not moving around abit in the turns. I guess it's just a matter of preference.

Sit in both and if possible drive both and see which one fits you better.

Tom

What Croc & YellowSS said-plus the "long cockpit" Caterham was an option starting in the mid '80's and became standard in the mid '90's. Wheelbase is the same.

All Birkins thru today are "short cockpits". While footroom, headroom, shoulder room, etc., are the same as in a long cockpit, in the short cockpit w/seat all the way back, you sit abt 2 1/2" closer to the wheel (less arm room). While that mite not seem like much it is noticible, even for a shrimp like me. I solved it by ditching the Birkin's torture-chamber designed stock seats and going with ultra-thin Caterham seats-that restored abt 2 1/2" of missing arm room.

Birkin is just now importing its own version of the larger SV,(SUV?:)), have not heard any reports of any getting here yet. I don't think you'd fit in a stock Birkin. And, alll Birkin and Caterham S3 owners wear skinny driving shoes, or just socks, even me and my 8 &1/2" shoe size.

Edited by Kitcat

Hello again Kitcat, thanks for the further explanation.

As you can tell, as a guy that has been on the Caterham market for 1/2 a year, it is a tough go now that I have to pair them all down to an SV. I want room for my feet.

There is a podiatrist surgeon in Nogales, Mexico that specializes in foot size reduction at a very reasonable price I hear, maybe we could "club" together and get a group rate reduction?

Thank God, that as we age, our feet do not increase in size at the same rate as waist bands and ear/nose hair .

Oh, and am I the only one whose toenails have taken on a life of their own after the age of 50? I never, ever, took notice of them really; holes in socks or tight new shoes were signals for trim time, which was a simple procedure; but now it is a cross between rose pruning and valve grinding, that added to the fact that they are becoming more difficult to reach by the year .

After I wrote this I recalled that great clip in "The Worlds Fastest Indian" when old Bert uses his grinding wheel to clip his nails to the amazement of his neighbors son.

Edited by rikker