1961 Series 2

Al N.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Al,

What headlights are those? They look like the original Series 1 Lucas 4 1/2 inch lights -- but perhaps two driving lights. (The original S1 Lotus teated by Autocar back in '57 had one 4 1/2 inch Lucas long range light and Lucas 4 1/2-inch one fog light -- that was the total lighting complement for the car).

Talk about minimalist....!

Hope you are planning your trip for the daylight hours....

• 4 months later...

Earlier this summer, I took my teenage daughter along for the car's 1200+ mile maiden voyage.

Denver to LA. Some of it in 118F Deg temps (Phoenix).

Car ran mostly fine...pinhole leak in thermostat gasket slowed us down a bit (waiting for car to cool down to check levels and top off), but nothing that prevented us from getting to LA by our target date.

Some pix.

Bel7.jpg

Colorado7.jpg

4Corners.jpg

Packed.jpg

Gas.jpg

Edited by Al Navarro

They are the smaller "Lucas" style ones (vs. the larger ones later supplied). I've heard them called the 5" or the 5 3/4".

These actually came with the car...and are both spotlight versions (originally, cars were supplied with one spot and one fog type lamp).

I know of two sources:

http://www.holden.co.uk/displayproducts.asp?sg=1&pgCode=010&sgName=Electrical&pgName=Lighting&agCode=0022&agName=Spot%2FDriving%2FFog+%2D+Lucas+Lamps

AND

http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=37223&SortOrder=30

• 3 years later...

Back on the forum after another extended absence to report that SB1341 is on the road again.

A cracked oil line fitting last fall was the impetus to pull the motor and get it rebuilt —*a task for which I chose Savannah Race Engineering (where famed Formula Ford engine builder Ted Wenz now practices his craft). The motor (1500 pre-crossflow running twin Weber DCOE 40 carbs that were original to car) dyno'd at over 120 hp, which is about 35 hp more than it had before the rebuild. In my short drive to/from the LOG36 meet (held in Princeton NJ this year), the car felt very strong and ran relatively cool.

The car is never going to be anything close to original again, but that's fine with me. It's a hoot to drive and seems to make people smile (the driver and passenger most of all!)...plus the wobbly web wheels get the stamp of approval from the Lotus loyalists. All in all, happy have the car back and running.

SB1341atLOG.jpg

^^^^My car, but not me in pic.

Edited by Al Navarro

• 2 years later...

An email from a fellow forum'er guilted me into coming back to check in on the forum. Been tied up with house, wife, children, parents, work, life...you know, Zorba's "full catastrophe".

Still have SB1341 and am enjoying the car, though the heat this summer has kept my blats to a minimum. Took my older girl (the one who did the Denver to LA trip with me....now a college graduate and PhD candidate) out for a blat the other day and we had a blast. Car is in shop to finally install the 10 gallon gas tank I had commissioned a few years ago...we figured out a way to do that without messing with the frame (the rear section is original to the car).

Anyway...was out of the country when the annual USA7s at NJMP gathering happened and will also be tied up during LOG this year. I'm relatively active on Facebook if anyone wants to connect with me there.

Glad to see the forum is still alive and serving the USA Sevens community.

. Car is in shop to finally install the 10 gallon gas tank I had commissioned a few years ago...we figured out a way to do that without messing with the frame (the rear section is original to the car).

Al,

Could you give some details on the custom gas tank? I assume it is not a fuel cell, bur a larger-capacity aluminum tank?

I have been mentally brainstorming way I culd increase the capacity of my stock tank, but have not committed anything to metal yet.

Tom Meacham

Anchorage

typos corrected......

Could you give some details on the custom gas tank? I assume it is not a fuel cell, but a larger-capacity aluminum tank?

I have been mentally brainstorming way I could increase the capacity of my stock tank, but have not committed anything to metal yet.

Tom Meacham

Anchorage